Chapala.com Webboard

San Antonio Consulate Temp. Res. Visa Requirements

Ajijic

SAN ANTONIO CONSULATE REQUIREMENTS

I) Valid passport, original and copy

II). One colour photo passport size, front view, no glasses, white background.

III) If applicat is not a US citizen, needs to prove legal status in the US

IV) Submit documents proving any of the following:

a) Proof of economic solvency

1. Original & a copy of investments or bank statements with a minimum balance of $102,000 in last twelve months; or

2. Original&d a copy of documents showing a minimum monthly income or retirement pension of $2,000 after taxes in last six months; or

B) Scientific research within Mexico’s international waters.

c) An invitation letter from a prestigious Mexican organization (public or private institution);

d) By family unit (b, c, d applicants must contact the consular office to enquire about specific documents required in each case)

e) Ownership of real estate in Mexico. Original and copy pf property title (escritura, public otorgada ante notario public), with a minimum value of 2,500,000 pesos.

V) Application form

VI) $36

Consular representative will issue a one-entry visa good for 180 days. Bearer must present it at the Port of Entry along with his/her passport and will request immigration form FMM (Forma Nacional de Migracion) which will be submitted to the INM (Instituto Nacional De Migracion) within 30 days to obtain Temporary Resident card.

This status does not allow one to work in Mexico without the specific authorization form from INM.

Ajijic - thanks so much for posting! Great info for those of us who are thinking of taking out a new temporado in order to keep our cars.

More than welcome. Our friends did the whole process in 3 hours including going for photos. The consulate Rep was Jose who was totally supportive and professional. These notes come from the consulate's handout and so an exact copy. Other consulates may vary and I believe some take longer and some may require time for a back ground check.

San Antonio is gorgeous and knowing in advance the requirements I would recommend this location.

These close friends of us are a female couple and they were allowed to split the value of thier house to qualify. In SMA at INM same sex married couples were not "recognized" and treated less than with fairness based on my wife's experience as a facilitator.

These close friends of us are a female couple and they were allowed to split the value of thier house to qualify. In SMA at INM same sex married couples were not "recognized" and treated less than with fairness based on my wife's experience as a facilitator.

Your wife needs to take this up with someone in charge at INM. Same-gender marriage is valid everywhere in Mexico.

"Our friends did the whole process in 3 hours including going for photos."

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what might be valuable is if you would, when the time comes, share the 'rest of the story'..... when you friends actually GET their visa share that info here.

I'm not at all suggesting that this won't happen, but sometimes the good news makes the headlines and if things later go sour it somehow doesn't get reported. Readers are thus stuck with a story incomplete and possibly erroneous.

Thanks for considering....

"Our friends did the whole process in 3 hours including going for photos."

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what might be valuable is if you would, when the time comes, share the 'rest of the story'..... when you friends actually GET their visa share that info here.

I'm not at all suggesting that this won't happen, but sometimes the good news makes the headlines and if things later go sour it somehow doesn't get reported. Readers are thus stuck with a story incomplete and possibly erroneous.

Thanks for considering....

Rick upon arriving in SMA on Wednesday they applied at INM in SMA. Fingerprints will be next Thursday and visa within 3 week after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember: Consulates do NOT issue the residence visas; they only give pre-approval and a single entry permit in your passport. You then have six months to enter Mexico. You then have 30 days from entry to report to INM and start the process to complete your application for the visa card, which will take some time and multiple visits.

Yes, I was generalizing, I know the hokey pokey dance and when I get back down with my approval I'll turn it over to my facilitator and have another cerveza.

You might say this is a "government" trip. I'm forced to go back NOB to get a new RT and due to that I'm forced to drag the trailer as well, then I have to deal with removing the TIP, turning in my FM3 and then the MXN consulate, Webb County TX for new plates for both car and trailer, a new inspection sticker and get a new drivers license because I can't renew online. Then return and cough up $400 TIP deposit (which I didn't have before). So, in between dealing with multiple government entities (all determined to bleed me dry) I'll maybe see friends - maybe. One of my Canuck friends asked why I bother - I didn't have an honest answer for them.

And apparently another official made a presentation last night at Terra Nova school and he said that you can't use your home ownership to qualify.

But when you go to the Mexican embassy web site in Washington D.C., it states clearly that home ownership can be used to qualify. That was also repeated on the site for the San Antonio consulate, the qualifying criteria from which was posted on this board.

Honestly, I don't think half these people understand their own law.

Honestly, I don't think half these people understand their own law.

I read recently that the average education of those who work for the Mexican Government is 6th grade. If so, not a lot was accomplished in those first 6 years, with Elba as the Head of Education. :(

Archived