Chapala.com Webboard

Need bug and mosquito zapper

simpsca

Last year they had them at the "bargains store" across from the Plaza in Ajijic; the tennis racquet type which can be plugged in anywhere to recharge. Forty pesos, and does the job. Sitting out on the terrazza without being eaten alive is a pleasure now. Zap! Zing! Crackle! I usually feel kindly to my fellow Earth dwellers, but I make an exception for mosquitoes. The only good mosquito........Zap! :unsure:

WE too are desperately looking for a plug in hanging kind. I have the tennis racket one and love it, but im tired of my family being eaten alive in our sleep! Walmart doesn't have them, they sent me to the hardware store.. which is closed.. ill be there on Monday!

I was told by Lakeside Express that Costco does not have them now and won't get them until the spring. Our PMs were about a zapper for sale so I'm all set. Yes they have gotten vicious lately. I bought a second one at a yard sale in Chula Vista this weekend, very reasonable price, so check the yard sales.

Gringal,

Last year they had them at the "bargains store" across from the Plaza in Ajijic; the tennis racquet type which can be plugged in anywhere to recharge. Forty pesos, and does the job. Sitting out on the terrazza without being eaten alive is a pleasure now. Zap! Zing! Crackle! I usually feel kindly to my fellow Earth dwellers, but I make an exception for mosquitoes. The only good mosquito........Zap! :unsure:

I'm totally in agreement with your statement, but doesn't the smell of all those frying dead little vampires make your stomach a little queasly?

Does no one use actual names for things here? Everything is in code: "a tienda in Chapala plaza - tennis raquet style", "a store two blocks down from the restuarant with the green door on a street in Ajijic". LOL, too funny.

Does no one use actual names for things here? Everything is in code: "a tienda in Chapala plaza - tennis raquet style", "a store two blocks down from the restuarant with the green door on a street in Ajijic". LOL, too funny.

Funny Brad. Reminds me of my husband.

HIM: Honey I saw your friend today. You know her.

Me: Need more information dear.

HIM: She's married to Oh what's his name. You know who I'm talking about, think about it.

Think I need more information here?

LOL

Two weeks ago we were at Costco and were told theirs were seasonal and out of stock, but down the road, Home Depot still had them, but only the indoor kind.

Don't know about the outdoor one, but the indoor one is NOT a zapper. It works by attracting the bugs with blue (ultraviolet?) light, sucking them in with a fan, and there they stay until they are dehydrated by the fan. The instructions clearly say it works best in the dark.

In the time we've had it is has collected a fair amount of the critters but only a fraction of what we get with the electric tennis racquet that other people have described above. So we use both. We regularly zap all the ones that hang around our door, and if we're sitting inside being bugged the racquet is always on hand. As others have said, it's actually a lot of fun to use and very satisfying!

I've seen those citronella coils -- has anyone used them? We still need something for sitting outdoors.

The name has not changed. It was always FERRETERIA CALZADA, as indicated on the sign. It is part of a chain. When this one opened a few years ago, it had a large banner which advertised that it was an ACE franchise. As such, expats began to use that more familiar term for the new, modern hardware store. However, the banner is long gone, so newbies hear ACE, and then cannot find such a place. So, using the correct name would help a lot.

It is IN Chapala, near INM and Delicias Breakfast Restaurant, just west of downtown, on Hidalgo.

I purchased the set of indoor and outdoor zappers at Costco within the last 2 months. I find the Off battery operated fan units that you clip on work the best. I put one on the nightstand at bedtime and it keeps the buggers away overnight. This past month has been nasty for skeeters!

Found yesterday at a hardware store on the Carretera just west of Chapala, North side.

95 pesos and works great

Changed the name, used to be Ace Hardware I think

I asked for "un aparato" for this at the Ferreteria Calzada but they said they had nothing but sprays. What exactly did you find?

My wife just got me one from a tienda in Chapala plaza - tennis raquet style and plugs in mains to charge, 98pesos, seriously the best gift I've been given in Mexico~absolutely love it! Instant kill :)

Can you tell me which store in the Chapala plaza this was purchased at?

Archived