Chapala.com Webboard

Wild bird seed

5 lb bags of bird seed for sparrows and doves can be had at the pet store next to Soriana. It's what we've been using quite successfully. In my experience, no other birds will come to seed set out for them. The wild birds here won't use human-constructed houses.

Thanks for the info. Are there purple Martins here.? There are some birds flying in my back yard that look like Martins, but they are flying so fast, I cannot tell for sure.

I've got birds in my back yard, I've never seen before. Beautiful red birds, yellow birds and of course Robins ( which I've seen in the States)hopping around the yard eating worms .

Sorry to hear, I cannot feed most of them.

There are not martins here, but 2 other species of swallows. I don't know the Latin names. The most numerous one is called here "golondrina", the ones flying up high for insects and making mud nests in building eaves.

The small birds with bright red fronts are male Vermilion Flycathers. There are many yellow birds from the small male Lesser Goldfinches (stark contrast of the jet black backs to the bright yellow fronts) to several species of orioles.

I tried getting the goldfinches to my goldfinch feeder I brought from the evil empire but to no avail. You may get some Rusty-crowned Ground Sparrows to your sparrow feeder. And, of course the ubiquitous squirrel.

You have a treat in store for you getting to know the Blue Mockingbird. Like the Northern Mockingbird, it seemingly has a hundred songs, only the Blue's seem more to be variations on a theme instead of discrete songs. They look somewhat like the grackles, pure black, except that in the sun they turn blue, a trick of the structure of their feathers rather than a blue coloring of the feathers.

Welcome!

We get stunning orioles at our hummingbird feeders, especially at the blown glass ones after taking off the "flowers" because they can perch and feed heavily.

We also had bird seed bought at Gallina feliz at the Abastos market but the only birds who would come to the feeder were sparrows; gave it up because they scatter seeds everywhere.

I have a pair of Warblers nesting in a human constructed house as we speak.

Wow! Where did you get the house? Where did you mount them?

We get stunning orioles at our hummingbird feeders, especially at the blown glass ones after taking off the "flowers" because they can perch and feed heavily.

Did you get the feeders in Tonala? Where/how did you set up the feeders? Are they near the house or farther away?

It was purchased by a friend in Chapala a couple of years ago. It was somewhere up near the road that runs from the lake to Soriana.

It hangs on the top of the bars that cover my windows on the back of the house facing south on the patio. It is well protected from the elements.

Prior to that I had a hollowed out gourd that I brought with me from the States when I moved down in 2003. It produced many cute little fluffs of baby warblers.

Google blown-glass hummingbird feeders for an idea of designs. The orioles like the little ones, three little glass "pots," mounted on a piece of driftwood from the lake. It hangs on a palm tree about 3 feet from the house. One other is right up against the kitchen window, and another hangs free from another palm - hummingbirds use the free-hanging ones, the orioles need the driftwood as a perch.

We also have a pretty wooden bird house (brought down) but the only interested parties are the wasps.

If left out at night, the bats come and ruin things - they knock out and break the glass flowers, stick their heads in the holes, drink all the sugar water and dirty things up.

We had a man blow new flowers at the Wednesday tianguis in Ajijic in a matter of minutes! If you took him a design he could probably make the whole feeder.

Archived