Chapala.com Webboard

What does this mean in English?

k2tog

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! (Ver la cara) is a good phrase to know.

The "p"word is by far my favorite palabrota.

That and its sister word, pendejada. Both often modified by the other 'p' word: p**che.

I'm confused. Why would you use pendejada instead of pendeja? I'm also not sure I understand how querer ver la cara is being used, unless it's the obvious, "They wanted to see the face of the fool/:()/jerk" or whatever flavor of pendejo is appropriate.

I learned a funny one this morning:

Mear fuera del hoyo

I'm confused. Why would you use pendejada instead of pendeja? I'm also not sure I understand how querer ver la cara is being used, unless it's the obvious, "They wanted to see the face of the fool/$%&/()/jerk" or whatever flavor of pendejo is appropriate.

Mear fuera del hoyo

In order of your questions:

Pendejada is the act. Pendejo is the person. Mira qué pendejada hizo el pendejo que no sabe ni su propio nombre.

Querer ver la cara is a shortcut, used because (1) you might not actually want to SAY pendejo and (2) it's one of those things that 'everybody' already knows by the implication. As you said, it states the obvious. Por no querer que mi suegra me viera la cara, no dije nada.

Mear fuera del hoyo

Here's another one,

Lo importante no es mear mucho,sino hacer espuma.

While we're on the subject,como se dice;I gotta go!,in three words?

While we're on the subject,como se dice;I gotta go!,in three words?

¡Tengo que mear! is how I've learned it? Does that work?

But "mear fuera del hoyo" has a richer meaning, if I understand it correctly from this morning. And we have something fairly similar in English...

¡Tengo que mear! is how I've learned it? Does that work?

It works but I like (Ya me anda!)better.

I know what "mear fuera del hoyo" means in a literal sense but I've never heard it used as an expression,how about a clue?

I know what "mear fuera del hoyo" means in a literal sense but I've never heard it used as an expression,how about a clue?

Hmmmm. I'm not 1000% sure I understand it perfectly, but I think I've got it. It's also difficult to give a clue without explaining it. But maybe this will help: It would apply to any expat who moves to Mexico and decides they are going to change things...

Okay....mear fuera del hoyo.

The first time it was explained to me, I understood it to be what you might say to someone who is going about doing something in entirely the wrong way, or who is deciding to pursue an idea that is really bad. Say you see a friend trying to fix a flat tire with duct tape, you could say, "Estás meando fuera del hoyo", or say someone tells you they are going to open a restaurant in Ajijic that sells tortas ahogadas for 100 pesos each, etc. Sort of like how we might say, "You've got it all wrong..." or "That's a terrible idea".

But today, a friend told me it was more often used to mean "You really shouldn't be doing that". Say you have a married friend, and he confesses to you that he's cheating on his wife, or someone else you know is mouthing off to a government official. Está meando fuera del hoyo.

Literally, it translates to pee outside of the hole. There's also "mear fuera de la olla". Evidently, many different Spanish speaking countries have a version of it. There's also a more vulgar variation my friend told me today.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to remember to ask my Spanish teacher where he nets out on mear fuera del hoyo.

• 8 months later...

I am new in Mexico and use translategoogle for all my needs. It goes both ways, translate from English to Spanish or reverse. Just put in the language you need after you open it and it works like a charm and even has a button to press to HEAR the words. Excellent.

In your search bar, just put in translate google.

K

Archived