Chapala.com Webboard

Car Insurance Void on Nationalized Cars.

losgatos

I use Parker as well. When I exported my US car they cancelled my HDI insurance as soon as I emailed them I'd gotten safely out of Mexico and surprisingly enough, I had a refund check in my hands within 3 weeks. For my new Mexican car they recommended Qualitas for reasonable pricing, good coverage, and most importantly, fast service at an accident site with (theoretically) English speaking agents.

We have HDI and AXA, HDI and Qualitas here are highly recommended by all and have good reputations as well as Sanbourne and Banamex. AXA seems to be the one with the most mini cars [agents that go to the scene of accidents] with their logo on the doors driving around here, so far. I have never seen a Sanborne or Banamex mini car here, so far.

Alan one a side note: I believe a Permanent Resident must have the owner of a foreign plated vehicle with them if driving. I see where some expats say one of the couple will become PR and one remain Temp Resident to keep their foreign plated car. Best to confirm when / if the PR can drive the foreign plated car in their spouses name when spouse is TR and the other PR..

I read where the spouse, whether Residente Permanente or not, the children and mother and father can drive a TIP vehicle with a valid driver´s license without the TIP owner in the car also Residente Temporal Rentistas or FMM turist card holders of the same INM classification as the Immigrant TIP holder.

A Mexican national or others can drive it with the owner in the vehicle. I read this in the TIP rules, the most recently published rules. I can post it if you like.

I read where the spouse, whether Residente Permanente or not, the children and mother and father can drive a TIP vehicle with a valid driver´s license without the TIP owner in the car also Residente Temporal Rentistas or FMM turist card holders of the same INM classification as the Immigrant TIP holder.

A Mexican national or others can drive it with the owner in the vehicle. I read this in the TIP rules, the most recently published rules. I can post it if you like.

Alan good points and thanks for reminder. And should apply to common law and same sex couples but one never knows in Mexico. And something to consider when not married or family and PR wants to drive a foreign plated car without owner present.

Alan good points and thanks for reminder. And should apply to common law and same sex couples but one never knows in Mexico. And something to consider when not married or family and PR wants to drive a foreign plated car without owner present.

It appears what I was told about the vehicle being insured and not the driver has validity here. Here is another piece of info. that seems to support this claim. Also on the state website here to register a vehicle it states "a" valid drivers license is needed but does not specify what license is required.

"• In case of accident, it is essential to have a Driver's License?

Definitely, most insurance contracts set as a condition for the admissibility of a claim that the driver of the vehicle has appropriate type license to drive the insured vehicle and who has been issued by a competent authority, unless it can not be imputed to driver guilt, incompetence or gross negligence in the performance of the incident, however some insurers do not require that such license is in force, the license simply there. On the other hand some insurers do not set the compulsory submission of the license if the driver is 18 years and the vehicle is in use. It is important that the licenses be saved due to present in case of loss of the current license.

It is important to note that in the case of federal public service vehicles and the accident occurs on federal jurisdiction, be required license issued by the Ministry of Communications and Transport. Likewise, when the vehicle is in commercial use will be indispensable presentation of the current license which requires the competent authority of the place where the incident originated."

http://www.tuagentedeseguros.com/autos_preguntas.asp

These state agencies and insurance companies might simply be following PROFECO´s rules and regulations.

TIP rules are different and so are the state and federal rules for insurance and vehicle registration in the US and Canada and this thread seems to have a few confused with all the rules from all over the place. It might be rumor or different insurance company policies however they also must follow the PROFECO regulations.

I feel PROFECO here in Mexico would be called the "Federal Gov´t. Agency for the Protection of Consumer Rights¨[paraphrased]

Archived