Chapala.com Webboard

Car Insurance Void on Nationalized Cars.

losgatos

My insurance agent tells me my current tourista car insurance is void once I nationalize the car, and, I assume, the "retorno seguro" is a "safe passage' document only and not insurance on the car itself. How are some of you who have been through the process already handling this? Buying new insurance in Nuevo Laredo?

An interesting caveat on my AXA insurance on my new Mexican plated car; "policy is valid only when Mexican citizens or persons who reside full-time in Mexico are operating the vehicle".

We too use Parker. They told me it depends on the insutance company. In our case it is HDI who are telling their clients that the same policy will remain in force until its anniversary. There may be a change in the premium. We expect to get this sorted out in a week or so, once we have our new plates.

I use Parker as well. When I exported my US car they cancelled my HDI insurance as soon as I emailed them I'd gotten safely out of Mexico and surprisingly enough, I had a refund check in my hands within 3 weeks. For my new Mexican car they recommended Qualitas for reasonable pricing, good coverage, and most importantly, fast service at an accident site with (theoretically) English speaking agents.

An interesting caveat on my AXA insurance on my new Mexican plated car; "policy is valid only when Mexican citizens or persons who reside full-time in Mexico are operating the vehicle".

So visitors from NOB can't drive our Mexican cars, I guess. I wonder if this is universal on all Mexican policies?

So visitors from NOB can't drive our Mexican cars, I guess. I wonder if this is universal on all Mexican policies?

I guess some insurance companies have different rules. For example, if a visitor rents a vehicle from the airport or some other location in Mexico, surely they are covered by the rental agency's insurance. And I cannot see anything in the policy on my Mexican plated vehicle that says it is restricted to the car being driven by full time residents or Mexican citizens. However, I will check with the agent tomorrow.

I guess some insurance companies have different rules. For example, if a visitor rents a vehicle from the airport or some other location in Mexico, surely they are covered by the rental agency's insurance. And I cannot see anything in the policy on my Mexican plated vehicle that says it is restricted to the car being driven by full time residents or Mexican citizens. However, I will check with the agent tomorrow.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did ask just that question of Parker's as one of us is RP and the other, who's not on the car title but is listed on the insurance rider, is on a tourist visa renewed every 6 months and they said he could drive the car whether he was listed or not....at least on our Qualitas policy.

I asked my agent for clarification. That caveat was in English. I'm wondering if there was a translation error as it doesn't make sense.

I emailed my agent and he replied "The policy is also valid for visitors, don’t worry about it". I'll keep that email.

My insurance agent tells me my current tourista car insurance is void once I nationalize the car, and, I assume, the "retorno seguro" is a "safe passage' document only and not insurance on the car itself. How are some of you who have been through the process already handling this? Buying new insurance in Nuevo Laredo?

your current policy is valid until you register with Jalisco plates.

Here is what my agent has said in an e-mail: The present policy [on your foreign plated car] covers your vehicle until the end of the policy in 2014, so just please bring us a copy of the registration and pedimento [once the vehicle is nationalized].

As the "Returno Seguro" effectively makes one's foreign-plated vehicle legal to drive to the border for it's 5-7 day duration, it would seem that Mexican tourist policy would cover one for that time. Obviously a tourist policy would not cover a Mexican-plated car. If my agent told me otherwise, I would definitely get that in writing.

Today received my Jalisco plates and original pedimento. I checked the Jalisco government website to make sure that the plates are not stolen. Everything is OK.

My insurance agent confirmed that the pedimento is legitimate. Also received written confirmation that the insurance company will continue to cover the vehicle until the policy expires. At that time we will take out a new policy. The nationalization process took about 4 weeks. Maurice Mora handled the nationalization smoothly and efficiently.

That non residents could not drive our Mexican cars.

I don't know if you should call it a rumour as it is says "It has been explained to me that this National Unity Insurance Company policy is valid only when Mexican citizens or persons who reside full-time in Mexico are operating the designated vehicle........ " It goes on to say a bit more that is confusing.

Then you need to sign the above.

I don't know if you should call it a rumour as it is says "It has been explained to me that this National Unity Insurance Company policy is valid only when Mexican citizens or persons who reside full-time in Mexico are operating the designated vehicle........ " It goes on to say a bit more that is confusing.

Then you need to sign the above.

I was told Mexican insurance for Mexican plated vehicles is insurance for the vehicle only not the driver. Anyone with a valid drive´s license can drive it and it remains insured. Maybe this is confusing some here.

"• What if the driver is of foreign origin?

The international license issued by the Ministry of Communications and Transport (sole authority to issue them) themselves are accepted for public service vehicles, those [drivers licenses] issued by competent authorities in other countries are accepted to drive private vehicles, but does not work for vehicles of commercial or public service."

http://www.tuagentedeseguros.com/autos_preguntas.asp

That non residents could not drive our Mexican cars.

Non residents [with a foreign valid drivers license] can drive a Mexican plated vehicle with proper Mexican insurance which is regulated by PROFECO.

Here is the rules and regulations for insurance providers in Mexico:

"Vehicle insurance

Driving a car involves risks and responsibilities that may affect your heritage, your health, or that of third parties.

Auto insurance protects you against damage or partial or total loss of your vehicle in case of accident or theft, as well as medical costs are generated by the accident.

Most common of this type of insurance are with limited coverage or forms with wide coverage. The first covers:

(a) total theft of the vehicle. It covers the total loss of the vehicle by theft or assault, as well as material damage and losses as a result of the event.

{b} civil liability for damages to third parties. It covers the liability which may be incurred by owner for damage caused to third parties in their property, personal injury or death.

[c] medical expenses. It covers the payment of medical expenses for injury of the insured or the occupants of the vehicle, as a direct result of accidents occurring when they travel in the same.

(d) legal defence and assistance, which the company offers professional services of lawyers in case of accident or total theft of the vehicle.

For his part, wide coverage includes, in addition to the above risks, damage that guarantees repair of direct damages suffered by the vehicle as a result of the collision, overturning, breakage of glass, fire, flood, strikes, or natural phenomena, among others.

Each company has its own criteria to estimate the cost of the insurance based on the year of the vehicle and model, pay periods, in addition to the user data, such as the area where you live, age, sex and marital status, among others. If you have any questions, about what it includes coverage limits and ask the insurance agent."

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.profeco.gob.mx%2fencuesta%2fbrujula%2fbruj_2012%2fbol231_seguros.asp

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/encuesta/brujula/bruj_2012/bol231_seguros.asp

Also:

"• What if the driver is of foreign origin?

The international license issued by the Ministry of Communications and Transport (sole authority to issue them) themselves are accepted for public service vehicles, those [drivers licenses] issued by competent authorities in other countries are accepted to drive private vehicles, but does not work for vehicles of commercial or public service."

http://www.tuagentedeseguros.com/autos_preguntas.asp

Alan one a side note: I believe a Permanent Resident must have the owner of a foreign plated vehicle with them if driving. I see where some expats say one of the couple will become PR and one remain Temp Resident to keep their foreign plated car. Best to confirm when / if the PR can drive the foreign plated car in their spouses name when spouse is TR and the other PR..

Archived