Chapala.com Webboard

LCS Directory, could it be online

solajijic

I wonder what would be involved in the LCS directory being online. You could access it with your member number. I also think it should be melded into the Lakeside publication as a separate center section. There are just too many non-members these days to make a separate directory worthwhile.

I believe it was a "major source of advertising income" for the LCS years back, when the LCS themselves sold ads and produced the directory. However, three years ago, it was jobbed out to Lake Chapala Review. The Review pays a flat fee to the LCS for the right to sell and produce the directory, and thus the Review keeps most of the revenue. Having it online is a good idea though.

Yes, it is jobbed out, and it has been for several years, but a good deal of the income remains with LCS... because the jobber has to "buy" the contract from them first before any real selling is done.

i personally think the darn thing should go back to being a list of members phone numbers and emails, period. No advertising.

I am tired of being told that posting here accomplishes nothing. The Director and board don't know what non-members are thinking unless its discussed somewhere and this is the best outlet for throwing out ideas.

I would hope they would explore selling the list to the Lakeside Directory which I buy every year. It could be a separate section in the center like the phone books of old had the government listings at the beginning of each area. A separate directory is getting fairly useless with so few members. Whereas years ago virtually everyone who came to town immediately became a member of LCS now its the exception rather than the rule. So a new vehicle should be explored.

Twice in a dozen years, we have been lucky enough to be at home, or on the street when the Jalisco Ribera Telmex telephone book was being distributed by wheelbarrow. The last time was in 2007 and we guard it carefully. After all, we are listed, as are most of our friends. It would be nice to get a new one, but that requires something of a small; maybe even a large stroke of luck.

Back in 2008 when I was in the board and was in charge of membership, newsletter, website, bulletin boards, elections etc. all before Terry Vidal was hired as the Executive Director, I had the directory put online that was password protected for members and after 2 months we had to take it offline because a few members were up in arms about their privacy being invaded all over the world wide web! I figured they were all in witness protection or something but the end result was the online directory was no more.

A lot happens in 5 years- I am all in favor of another online directory!!

maw

Twice in a dozen years, we have been lucky enough to be at home, or on the street when the Jalisco Ribera Telmex telephone book was being distributed by wheelbarrow. The last time was in 2007 and we guard it carefully. After all, we are listed, as are most of our friends. It would be nice to get a new one, but that requires something of a small; maybe even a large stroke of luck.

In 2010 I was paying my Telmex bill and asked one of the clerks at the side desks if they had a telephone directory. Lo and behold, they handed me one! Almost as good as winning a lottery.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived