Chapala.com Webboard

Bacon from Tony's

ComputerGuy

I've been buying the four-pack of bacon from CostCo for quite a while, but I've never really enjoyed it. Too thin, and certainly not maple-cured/smoked. But compared to the store-bought stuff around here, certainly better.

The other day I got a half-kilo at El Torito. Not bad, overly salty, but bacon-ny.

Then yesterday I bought a half kilo from Cesar at Tony's Butchery, sliced nice and thick. Wow, much better flavour. Not maple like I enjoy (anywhere and everywhere) in Canada, but very tasty, and not nearly as salty. I won't be getting Costco bacon anymore. A half kilo was 50 pesos and that's a lot of bacon, even for a pork lover like me.

If you want excellent bacon, sliced to your order and thickness, go in the front entrance of the Mercado Publico in Chapala and down the few steps to the butcher on your immediate left. It is great! The best we have found in 12 years living in both Ajijic and Chapala.

My friend also recommended the bacon from the Chapala market. We were there today and I was going to buy some ... I am really sorry .... and I know I should get over such things .... but I just could not stomach the animal (it looked like a goat) hanging there with the head still attached bleeding on the floor. I will continue buying from Tony's and hope not to see that sort of thing coming through the front door while I am there.

I've been buying Tony's bacon for 8 years. Recently found another good souce on the west side of Ajijic, the La Huerta Mini-Super.

I have had excellent service and products from La Huerta Mini-Super. Great cuts of beef and really nice family. I, too, really enjoyed the bacon from there.

Very, very clean.

I am glad for this discussion. I used to buy the Kirkland bacon, but it was too fatty. Its nice to know there are several good places to go.

I, too, will check it out. So the lesson here is "get thee to a butchery"... man, I just left WalMart without going in. It's "vegetable Tuesday", and I've never seen so many families loading into the store. Looked like the Disney World entrance on a busy day.

Can you give me the price per kilo?

Thanks!

Valerie. :)

I'm not sure about at Tony's, but at the Chapala Mercado Publico, it is 10 pesos per 100g. Though, sometimes when I buy an entire kilo, they give me a discount of 10 pesos. Sometimes, not all the time.

Great, thanks! Will give them both a try when I finish with my current Kirkland brand bacon.

Valerie :)

LOL, being from the South, I love things fatty and salty..... I realize they aren't good for me but I think the Kirkland bacon is quite tasty (especially the thickly cut package).

While trying to reduce my fat intake, though, I shall have to make amends and make some changes....

Valerie :)

Archived