Chapala.com Webboard

Armando's Hideaway is TOPS

Bigrig1919

We eat out a lot and I think Restaurants that go out of their way to provide good food, good service, fair prices and provide an overall pleasant dining experience should be recognize.

Armando's Hideaway is such a place. We've eaten there about four times in the last Month and taken different guest with us each time. Not one negative comment from any of our friends. They all loved it and said they would go back.

I don't know anything about past or present owners, just know we like it.

Armando's Hideaway has long been loved by the expat and local community. There was a problem when Armando, the owner, sold or rented his place to two women. They say they were unfairly treated by Armando. The two women are moving to another part of Mexico. Armando is back in his restaurant. Right now there is anger from those who think that Armando was unfair to the two women. Me, I don't know. I was never crazy about the restaurant before, even though it was the most popular place for nice dining (pre Number 4). I do know that Armando has decades of history as a restaurant owner and I'm sure there is more to the story than I've heard.

Ditto. There are always two sides to a story and we have only heard one side; plus a lot of wild imagination.

We always enjoyed Armando and his wife, their good food, excellent table settings and hospitality; especially on special occasions of a romantic nature, when Armando is known to play his guitar and serenade the guests.

If you take the time to read back several months you will find out, pretty definitively, what took place, and why there was such a "heated outcry" of concern for Amy and Faye and how they were "set up" and taken advantage of. They have not left the area and there are many, many people who are anxious for their reopening a a few blocks away. Their short time at Armando's made it, very quickly, the place for excellent food, service and value. In fact, in the opinion of many it became the "best" restaurant Ajijic. My wife and I and many of the others who have posted on this website would never consider crossing the threshold of Armando's. The entire situation was simply a disgrace and totally disgusted a significant percentage of the expat community. It should be a warning to anyone considering setting up any kind of business in "leased" premises.

Carnivore,

Unfortunately, Faye and Amy are moving to San Blas as of this weekend.

We used to go to Armando's when he ran it and were regular customers of his.

We loved the changes that Faye and Amy added to Armando's restaurant (they did not own this place - they were running it for he & his wife -- Armando retained ownership).

We will never go back to Armando's now because he is not the kind of person we would support financially. I feel very sorry for his wife -- she is a lovely lady and deserves better.

I don't know Faye & Amy and don't think I have ever eaten at one of the places they have been. From what I've read here on the forum, they provide good food and have a large following.

They seem to be always jumping to a new location. If fact one of the most asked questions here is, "Where is Faye & Amy at now?"

One question that comes to mind is, " if they have such a large following and provide a good dining experience, why do they keep moving to a new location?" They cannot seem to get along with their landlord .

Maybe there are two sides to every situation.

I don't know Faye & Amy and don't think I have ever eaten at one of the places they have been. From what I've read here on the forum, they provide good food and have a large following.

They seem to be always jumping to a new location. If fact one of the most asked questions here is, "Where is Faye & Amy at now?"

One question that comes to mind is, " if they have such a large following and provide a good dining experience, why do they keep moving to a new location?" They cannot seem to get along with their landlord .

Maybe there are two sides to every situation.

Right, you don't know Faye and Amy. You haven't checked the history of their association with Armando's. So why jump to the conclusion they had to "keep moving" if they had such a large following. They didn't move from Armando's spot bec. they wanted to. It was forced upon them.

If you like the present Armando's, great. Enjoy. Good for Armando's reputation recovery.

But to suggest that Faye and Amy "had" to move through any lack of their own restaurant know-how is out of line.

Lexy

There are always two sides to a story. This is especially true in business or in any story regarding money. A matter involving a business, money and a foreign culture.....well, maybe there's a lot of room for misunderstandings and not necessarily for anything diabolical.

We've only heard one side of this story. I wish someone could get Armando's side of the story from him and post it, as a matter of fairness.

Just plain silly that the are always "jumping to a new location". They were in the Armando's location until all the events well documented on this board took place. And then Amy set up temporarily in Patty's Place (the old Pedro's Gourmet location). That was always intended to be temporary while they looked for a new place. So two locations total - and the second was always intended to be temporary.

At the Armando's location it was definitely not because they "didn't get along with the landlord". Not going to rehash it but look it up. Patty's was always intended to be temporary and Amy didn't leave there because of a problem with the landlord either.

People were asking where they were because the did not find another location and were not open in a new location. They had a solid following and people hoped they would be back up and running. Many people, including us, were looking forward to supporting them wherever they landed. Unfortunately it just didn't work out.

They looked at a number of possibilities after leaving the Armando's location but didn't find anything that would work for them. They had an opportunity to move to San Blas and decided to do so.

There is a lpot of information on Facebook under Armando. See if you know someone who has him friended and then tag thru and wander around to see his side.

Either way Faye and Amy opened their first restaurant in Armando's after he had supposedly retired with an expectation of income from the lease. He decided to take back the restaurant and run it. This was well after Amy and Faye had established the place as good, reliable and tasty. Also after it was brimming with customers something Armando's had not experienced in years. I read that that he decided he wanted their success.

Either way as much as we had enjoyed Armando's occasionally before Faye and Amy and we enjoyed the ladies having such a success there we will not return because of the conflict. Whatever it was I don't care which story is better I have decided my side is with the ladies.

Archived