Chapala.com Webboard

Water Spouts!!

Ezzie

Sighted out in the lake - 2 of them around 8:00 - 8:15 AM this morning. One became huge and dissipated over the west end of the Lake, the other near the east end became pencil thin then dissipated before it became very large. Got some pics from my angle near the Chapala Golf Club so will try and post them.

Pete, it was 6 years ago because I was just moving down here and looking at houses in the Racquet Club - until then and I called my rental agency and said "BIGGIE CHANGE OF PLANS" and ended up in Riberas where I couldn't be happier (other than CFE & water) - ha.

But, as suspected, the S shore is holding out on us, we got .05", Rancho del Oro got .04" and the S shore got .19" - now, where is the fairness in that?

Wow! Interesting. Any news and/or video of the 2nd water spout?

Yes "tromba" was what I was told, which means water spout (But I "aint no" expert) in my dictionary.

All I know is that it was a lot of rain in a short period of time in a very small area and that various other areas lakeside have had the same happen to them.

Many of the locals call the Raquet Club event a tromba. Which can mean whirlwind but locally seems to mean water spout. I've asked many of the RC residents and thought about it a lot and I'm sure the event wasn't a waterspout. More like a supercell of heavy rain that lasted for many hours with possible dams building up in the arroyos which later broke.

I'm annoyed I missed that this morning as I was out on my morning walk above San Juan Cosala and saw nothing. I've seen two waterspouts on remote lakes and they were very noisy-like a train coming. Was there any noise with these ones?

In west Ajijic above the gas station there is a hill called Cerro Colorado that is bare of vegetation. I've been told that was caused by a water spout but have also read it was caused by gold mining.

Correct. It was a freak short lived heavy downpour of immense magnitude hitting the mountain above the Racquet Club.

I was in SJC then and that rain was the hardest I've ever heard, so hard the commodes and bath tub started backing up water from the street drains. How the story got started that it was a water spout, I don't know, but at my house it rained incredibly hard for at least and an hour and probably longer.

Waterspout
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with water spout, a pipe that carries water down from a roof, or with watersprouts, regrowth on trees.
220px-Trombe.jpg
magnify-clip.png
A waterspout near Florida. Note the two flares with smoke trails for indicating wind direction and general speed near the bottom of the photograph.
Part of the nature series Weather Calendar seasons Tropical seasons Storms Precipitation Topics 32px-Cumulus_clouds_in_fair_weather.jpegWeather portal

A waterspout is an intense columnar vortex (usually appearing as a funnel-shaped cloud) that occurs over a body of water, connected to a cumuliform cloud. In the common form, it is a non-supercell tornado over water.[1] While it is often weaker than most of its land counterparts, stronger versions spawned by mesocyclones do occur.[2][3] Waterspouts do not suck up water; the water seen in the main funnel cloud is actually water droplets formed by condensation.[4] While many waterspouts form in the tropics, other areas also report waterspouts, including Europe, New Zealand, the Great Lakes and Antarctica.[5][6] Although rare, waterspouts have been observed in connection with lake-effect snow precipitation bands.

Waterspouts have a five-part life cycle: formation of a dark spot on the water surface, spiral pattern on the water surface, formation of a spray ring, development of the visible condensation funnel, and ultimately decay.

I was talking to friends at breakfast this morning about what happened in the Racquet Club. We all thought that the water spout when it was over the lake picked the water up and then dropped it on the Racquet Club. I guess we were all wrong.

Oh well :)

Archived