Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Infinitum "Technicolor" modems

I've had to return three Technicolor modems to Telmex in the last month (two of mine, one of a friend). Now, I know that there have been problems with the power supplies of most of TelMex's modems for the past few years, but this is a real shame.

My own was doing this a few weeks ago: Internet kept coming and going, seemed like every 15 minutes or less. I temporarily replaced it with a Huawei modem I keep for testing customer Internet problems, and lo and behold: no service fluctuations at all...

During the next few days, before I got that Technicolor exchanged a few days later (for another Tech), no fluctuations. All went well until last week... same problem. Fiddled and futzed; could find no cause. Finally tried the spare Huawei again, and again, no service problems. Exchanged that Technicolor modem today for a newer model of Huawei; so far all is well.

If your Internet seems to be going on and off more than frequently lately, and you have a Technicolor modem, check it out. This is not the first time their modems have had built-in problems.

Ack, no! Have you tried the pinprick reset? NOTE that there is a service desk at the front of the Telmex store now; they will swap out your modem, no questions asked. Just make sure you get one of the new, smaller ones... the older, refurbished jobbies do NOT have wireless N, which will make your wireless seem that much slower... the new models state N on the box.

I was given a refurb the first time, so was my friend. We both had to go back and request a switcheroo. And the day my friend went, no one was at the service desk; had to get a number and wait, and then argue with the clown at the desk about the situation.

2 years ago I experienced the same problem with a couple of 2wire models, and some forums recommended to ask for the Thomson Modem .

In my case the problem was that the modem resetted itself and I lost connection very often, it was a pain in the butt, specially when doing downloadings.

I just contracted Infonitum again and they promised to deliver my modem next week, I hope it is not a technicolor .

Yes, the reset problem: you hit the nail on the head. Same with these Technicolors; don't know why. Don't forget you can always go to the Telmex office in Ajijic and get a swap at the front service desk.

Archived