Chapala.com Webboard

What to do with a Canadian "J" car that is not worth driving back to Canada?

I´m looking for an alterantive other than making it undriveable. It´s a great vehicle, but it´s still a 1995 (Pathfinder).. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about importing it to the US, or selling it for parts there. Or even giving it away somehow here?

Sadly, even though it´s been meticulously maintained and low-mileage it´s still a 1995. I sold a beautiful low-mileage 1992 Dynasty in Canada in 2012 to a parts dealer for $300 bucks. To drive north takes app. 5 days. Not an economically viable option to drive it back to Canada, sadly. .

I´ll do my own research. Just wondered if any Canadians had already done this research.

Thanks for any help. In the meantime, we have bought a Mexican vehicle and the J car is parked on private property.

Unfortunately, it is illegal to sell it, give it away or dispose of it for parts, etc. You agreed, when you brought it into Mexico on an Importada Temporal, that you would remove it from Mexico when you no longer qualified to keep it here. That is happening to many of us and we must also remove our 1999 Pathfinder. Fortunately, we can sell ours in Texas for enough to get us back home.

In your case, the concern is getting it out of Mexico; not necessarily getting it back to Canada. Would a Canadian like to have it as a gift, if he were to meet you in Texas? I wonder what would happen to a car left in a large parking lot with no license plates and the keys in the ignition, somewhere within walking distance of a Texas airport or bus station serving Mexico? That assumes that a junk yard would not take it for a few bucks. Or, maybe a summer vacation in Canada and a one way flight back?

None of it is convenient, or free; join the J-car Club!

There are a couple of people here who will buy you vehicle, obtain the paperwork to legally drive it to the border,have your TIP removed at the border, then sell your car in Texas and return you car tip receipt to you back here. Look under previous posts for posts by Playaboy. His name is Barry and his does this several times a month.

Tomas,

The original poster is Canadian, and so is the vehicle. It would have to go to Canada to be sold; not an easy task for a third party and an older vehicle with little market value, no matter how nice it may be.

Playaboy, and several others, will remove if from the Country for a fee. (If it is not sellable in the US) It is expensive to import into the US and to then register the car in the States. Even as parts, you are importing something of value. Its a tough problem.

If it is drivable, you may be able to find a Canadian to pick it up in Texas. You could probably do that on kajiji or craigslist.

I know of two people who each paid 3K to have their cars returned to Canada. That covered the fee and all expenses. In both cases the car owners had to spend a few bucks making sure the car was in good working order with good tires, first. So that added to the expense.

In one case, the seller had a buyer who paid a couple of thousand for the vehicle so that offset the cost somewhat. In the other case the person who was paid to drive the vehicle is now working on selling it for the friend who is here in Mexico. They can take their time because they have people to visit with and stay with so.... no added expenses. They will wire proceeds to the seller in Mexico.

If you can get it your vehicle in good working order, I am pretty sure at least two of these people would take it to Canada for you.... but it will cost you. They end up with between 1000 and 1500 dollars for their effort and that is not a lot when you consider the time involved.

Sell it using a Carta Responsiva form. If you do not believe it is possible call Aduana in DF.

If you brought the car in on an old passport likely no records exist with Aduana. Mexicans have hundreds of thousands of "chocolates" and few are concerned.

There is no way car can be driven to Canada and not loose money.

Drive the vehicle to Laredo, clear your TIP ,cross the border,remove you tag and place a sign on the windshield for a CHEAP price in cash, It will be bought i 1 - 2 hours. Use some of the funds and take the bus back to Guad. You are done and free. This is not hard for a reasonable person but mind bending for the uptight ..Please no BS about you being responsible if the car is later involved in an accident. It is the operators issue at the time of the accident not the previous owners..The auto is in the US not Mexico..

This is not hard for a reasonable person but mind bending for the uptight .

And your point?

As long as we're tossing out possible creative solutions, let's not forget about our friends in Guatemala.

Anywho, I do like the "J-Car Club" idea. It could be modeled on a group therapy/recovery program--

J-Car Club Meeting

New Member: "Hi, I'm careyeroslib. I'm a permanent resident of Mexico and I own a J-Car...."

Others: (low energy monotone, but synpathetic) "Hi careyeroslib..."

I don't think that's an option. My Canadian friend got a seriously costly ticket a few weeks ago for driving her car which she has had here for about 8 years after coming in on a tourist visa, and not keeping up her Canadian plates and registration.

Apparently there are a number of people who were told by long-time residents that they did not need to do anything to keep their cars current. I am personally grateful for webboard advice that has resulted in my having a legal car here (SD registration and plates).

For now, the transitos do not seem to be all that thick on the ground, but my Canadian friend is still afraid to drive the car. So, it is sitting in her garage and she is taking taxis and riding with friends. On top of that, she is recovering from serious surgery.

Please, more info on solutions for Canadians that will cost less than the car is worth!

My Canadian friend got a seriously costly ticket a few weeks ago for .....not keeping up her Canadian plates and registration.

Can we please put a number on "seriously costly"? Thanks.

I have also heard wind there might be a "Gringo Demolition Derby" event for previously loved J-Cars, with proceeds going to Cruz Roja.

Come on people! Get creative! Work the puzzle!!!

If it is driveable and you think it might make it to Canada, PM me and I might have a solution for you. Family members up there are always looking for decent 4x4's to use as "bush buggies", as long as they are either free or for very low $$. I need to know which Province it is registered in and the condition of tires, body, etc. We would need to transfer the ownership into an "unfit" declaration and use it only for off road or parts.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

At the moment we aren´t doing anything as we are too busy. For now it is parked on private property in a lot with security, not being driven and still insured.

Ezzie, thanks for the offer, but if we have to drive it back to Canada (5 days), we´ll give it to friends or family who could use it. That´s not a problem. But thanks anyway for your response.

Anyway, if I come up with anything, I´ll be sure to pass it on. In the meantime, good luck to other J> car owners.

Ezzie, thanks for the offer, but if we have to drive it back to Canada (5 days), we´ll give it to friends or family who could use it. That´s not a problem. But thanks anyway for your response.

No problemo, but I think you misunderstood my offer. What I meant was that either myself or a family member would "consider" driving it back to Canada for you (on our dime) and get the TIP cancelled upon exit from Mexico in exchange for the title to the vehicle. I would pay the cost of the fuel and tolls. This all assumes that this vehicle is registered in Ontario, is fit enough to make the 4,200 km. trip and that you would maintain insurance coverage on it for the duration of the trip (Mexico/USA/Canada). Upon arrival in Ontario I would get the registration changed out of your name so you no longer have any liability for it. I would want to inspect the vehicle before final agreement to do this, if it is a piece of junk, I won't do it.

I am on a "Residente Temporal" visa and thus would need a letter of authorization from you to have permission to drive your vehicle to Canada on your behalf.

Hi Ezzie: Thanks again. But we have a home in Oakville, Ontario and go back regularly. Up until September 2012 we drove back and forth a couple of times per year in a different vehicle, , but still kept the Pathfinder in Mexico because it´s great for off-roading.

While I appreciate the offer, it wouldn´t help us.

What we are looking for is a legal way to dispose of it in Mexico (unlikely) or a feasible and legal way to dispose of it or its parts in the southern US (Arizona or Texas). We would want to drive the vehicle over the border ourselves, as we have done many times.

If the only solution is to drive it back to Ontario we will do that ourselves. It´s no big deal, just a drag. We are hoping for a simpler solution.

. .

I had a Nissan X Trail that was a 2006 with only 56,000 km on it and in excelllent shape. It was made in Japan and I was forced to go Permanente. I hated to part with that vehicle and racked my brain what to do. I couldn't import it into the US to sell it there. Driving it back to British Columbia and selling it there wasn't an option. I couldn't find a Canadian buyer to fly down here, buy it, and take it back. It was worth about $12,000 so scrapping it wasn't an option either. So I offered it free to a nephew who lives in Montreal. He flew down and drove it back. He is very happy. Me not so much. I bought a new X Trail here to replace it. This new one doesn't have 4 wheel drive (which was an option I liked) and it is a few inches wider and longer making it not quite so navigable in Ajijic. It is ironic that this new X Trail is also made in Japan-dealers can legally import them. So now I pay twice as much insurance for a car that isn't as suitable as my old one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived