Chapala.com Webboard

CUSTOMS FEE IF ITEM NOT AVAILABLE IN MEXICO?

Hola Helpers!

The rear window on my Kia was broken today. There is not one Kia dealer in all of Mexico. This being the case, do I have to pay customs/duty on the item? Shipping alone is $366 on a $132 window. I can barely swing that and if I'm hit with a 4000MXN customs fee then I'm doomed.

It would seem that if I can't get the item in Mexico, no customs/duty should be paid, pero, I feel that may not be the case.

Any advice, help, suggestions gladly welcomed. Or if you know of a glass place that handles curved, tempered and tinted glass ??? I know. Fat chance. But I am so over-due for good news ;-)

Thanks in advance.

I used this place (they have several locations in Guadalajara) when my car window was broken--twice. They are fast, not costly, and give really good service. It can't hurt to call them. Here's their website, with a list of their locations in and around GDL: http://www.roto.com.mx/sucursales.html#

Many Mexican auto glass places order direct from the US and takes about 4 to 7 days. I did this with windshield on a Saturn Vue and price was competitive with US.

Archived