Chapala.com Webboard

need a dog

Actually, only two of the dog shelters neuter and spay before adoption - so your assumption that all dogs at all shelters are neutered is not a good assumption.

You can try Pepe's = last time we were there they just had pups - but that was 1 1/2 weeks ago.

You can try Anitas - as she can, dogs are neutered - but my understanding is that this can only be a limited number at a time - so there is a good chance she too may have an unneutered male.

And we always encourage people to neuter their pets - and the neutered ones are not all old lazy, fat dogs- depends on the owner and the exercise that the dog gets. But unless you are planning on breeding a dog, there is no logical reason to not get a neutered male. And hopefully you are not planning on breeding the dog:)

I have neutered dogs and they are plenty of energy, jumping, barking and real playful dogs...

Tell you a little secret. I have been volunteering at animal shelters and for breed rescue for 25 years. Neutering a male does not make it fat and lazy. Over feeding and lack of mental and physical stimulation do that. Neutering does make it safer around children, less prone to certain cancers, much less likely to mark territory (that means pee on your furniture) and not constantly focused on finding that girl dog in heat. A whole male is aware of a female in heat anywhere in the voting precinct and his sole goal in life is to find and mate with her. He is an escape artist, has a much higher chance of being hit by a car and doesn't make an especially good pet.

Please rethink this.

I totally agree about the neutering. I love male dogs, but wouldn't have one unless neutered. I volunteer at The Ranch and there are some great male dogs there that would fit the bill. We just got in a pit bull mix that is beautiful, 3 years old and was raised with kids. Then a couple of black short haired dogs that are very energetic and love attention: Jake, Lee and Dakota come to mind immediately. Then a mid-sized dog with medium length hair, Clark, that is very loving yet energetic as well. I could go on and on - beautiful, affectionate dogs that need a home.

Please read original post. I did not ask for opinions on neutering, as I have had my experiences & have made my request.

Thanks

Moderator , please close

With pleasure.

But I hope you'll read this first, so that you understand that spaying/neutering a pet is not just the right thing to do to avoid more homeless pets, but also provides a more healthy life for your pet:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_why_spaying_neutering_is_important#.UfKw-W0Usu0

Archived