Chapala.com Webboard

Death of Dan Baker & personal items

I was a friend of Dan's and, although out of town when he died, I was able to get back in time to spend a couple of days with his son Gavin before he left. Shortly before his death, Dan had given me an expensive kind-sized mattress topper. I went out of town before getting it from him, and it was no longer in the house when I returned to help Gavin. Gavin, who had visited his Dad here more than once, was also aware that there were things belonging to Dan that were missing. He mentioned a nice painting, a humidor, and I forget what else. Gavin was told the police took stuff out of the house when they were there; i.e., when Dan's body was still there! As if this isn't enough, Gavin was also told by the Mexican neighbors that they saw a 'well-dressed woman' carrying things out of the house and that they thought it was Dan's maid. I am sorry that your eagle is missing; but it appears there was a lot of funny stuff going on when no one was looking....

I was in the USA when I heard of Dan's death. He was also a friend of mine. I returned at once, and in time to meet Dan's Son,

(Gavin). I suspected tne Police, and , also , had heard of the well dressed women arriving in a taxi more than one time & leaving

with boxes. Thanks very much for your response., and I join you with good memories of Dan

Luisa, would you mind clarifying? We were told that it's a crime not to report a death to the police since they have to check whether it is a crime scene or not. I guess you could call a doctor, but I gather that after that, the police would follow. Certainly in Canada, we would call a doctor, but here?

From the Lake Chapala Society booklet on Post-Life and Emergency Planning, page 9:

* Legal documents that should be made with professional guidance and/or properly executed by a Notaria Publica
STEPS TO FOLLOW WHEN ENCOUNTERING THE DECEASED
1. If you suspect foul play, call the Police 765-4444, otherwise
2. DO NOT CALL THE POLICE or an AMBULANCE
3. If death occurs at home, call the attending physician. (In general a physician is very hesitant to sign a death certificate when the
patient is not known to that physician. Because of this it is recommended to establish a relationship with a physician, if only
for your yearly check-up.) If the physician is not available go onto step 4 .
4. Call the deceased’s funeral home to arrange the transportation and funeral of the deceased. When the funeral home arrives have the
following documents ready:
-
copy of the passport
-
copy of the visa
-
copy LCS Post Life documents and/or the Health Care Directive*.
5. Do not leave the deceased’s house unattended.

I was a friend of Dan's and, although out of town when he died, I was able to get back in time to spend a couple of days with his son Gavin before he left. Shortly before his death, Dan had given me an expensive kind-sized mattress topper. I went out of town before getting it from him, and it was no longer in the house when I returned to help Gavin. Gavin, who had visited his Dad here more than once, was also aware that there were things belonging to Dan that were missing. He mentioned a nice painting, a humidor, and I forget what else. Gavin was told the police took stuff out of the house when they were there; i.e., when Dan's body was still there! As if this isn't enough, Gavin was also told by the Mexican neighbors that they saw a 'well-dressed woman' carrying things out of the house and that they thought it was Dan's maid. I am sorry that your eagle is missing; but it appears there was a lot of funny stuff going on when no one was looking....

It isn't the first time there was funny stuff going on...... as I recall - maybe a year ago, the police were among the first to arrive at a house - I think the person had died in an accident - and a whole bunch of electronics turned up missing by the time friends arrived at the house.

As More Liana posted - unless a crime scene, call the person's doctor...

and hopefully everyone has their doctors name taped to the refrigerator or in some prominent visible place -

Luisa, would you mind clarifying? We were told that it's a crime not to report a death to the police since they have to check whether it is a crime scene or not. I guess you could call a doctor, but I gather that after that, the police would follow. Certainly in Canada, we would call a doctor, but here?

Only call the police if you suspect foul play. The police are there to file a crime report and instigate an investigation. Most deaths are natural. The deceased's doctor can determine whether the death was natural. Why on earth would you call the police?

Archived