Chapala.com Webboard

if you own a checking account in mexico read this

Only certain documents are legal ID for foreigners in Mexico. Those include your passport, but not a drivers license or your INM ID.

Mexicans are always asked to show official identification. For Mexicans, those include but are not limited to a passport or a voter credencial (voter ID). A drivers license is not official ID for Mexicans.

People need to understand what the legal requirements are and stop bellyaching because someone asks for your official ID. If someone says, "Take my INM card, it's legal ID," that person is wrong and is basically asking the person behind the counter to break the law.

For Mexicans, those include but are not limited to a passport -- And that should be the same for Immigrants.

Those include your passport, but not a drivers license or your INM ID. - I agree with drivers license not being accepted. But there is nowhere in the law saying that IMM card cannot be accepted as valid means of identification. If you find it, please point it out to us.

A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel.

You are not even obliged to own a passport. If you don’t intend to travel out of the country, you don’t need it. Even as a foreigner, if I fly to another city within Mexico, I DON’T NEED IT.

What you need as ID in Mexico

A national identification number, national identity number, or national insurance number is used by the government as a means of tracking their citizens, permanent residents and temporary residents for the purposes of work, taxation, government benefits, health care and other governmentally-related functions. The number will appear on an identity document issued by a country. In Mexico this ID number is called the CURP (Clave Única de Registro de Población).

Non-citizens may be issued such numbers when they enter the country, or when granted a temporary or permanent residence permit. If you have it, banks should accept this as a proper ID and not request your passport for every day business. If you don’t have your CURP then you should have another ID with your picture on it (except driver’s license). Of course, you passport is handy, BUT THE PASSPORT SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY THING THEY REQUEST FROM AN IMMIGRANT.

Any other institutions or businesses insisting you show your passport for identification are off limits. Because they ask for it, does not mean they have a right to do so.

To open a bank account in Mexico the expat will need an migration document, proof of address (fixed line telephone bill or utility bill issued in the last two months), photo ID document (e.g. passport), and personal ID number (CURP). If you noticed, they gave passport as an example only—what they need is a photo ID document. A passport does not even have your address on it. It does not prove you live in Mexico . . . but the CURP does.

This issue came up at my bank last year when an employee insisted to see my passport to withdraw cash. I refused and said to look in my file if she wanted to see my passport, but in the meantime, I would show my ATM card or my CURP or immigration card for ID. No more discussion.

I did the same at the airport when it was time to board the plane in Mexico City to Guadalajara. First, I observed what Mexicans were showing as ID. Nothing. When my turn came, he asked for my passport. I said I was not leaving the country so did not need it. I said if you want my ID, here is my FM2 (at the time) while I made a fuss saying that it was discrimination. He looked discreetly at his colleague and let me pass after glancing at my card.

They know they have no right to insist to see my passport when I am not entering the country. They can always ask but not insist as if it was the only valid document to prove who we are.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

InterCasa and More Liana are correct.

"Al Portador" means "to the bearer" and NO I.D. (or signature) is required to cash a check (cheque) made out this way, up to and including 19,999 pesos.

InterCasa and More Liana are correct.

"Al Portador" means "to the bearer" and NO I.D. (or signature) is required to cash a check (cheque) made out this way, up to and including 19,999 pesos.

I used to write cheques to cash, from my account, with Al Portador as the payee. I do this when I need more than the max my ATM will give. I was surprised when I hit the 19,999 limit one day. The teller suggested I write a cheque, to myself, for the larger amount. That worked just fine.

I have another solution to this problem: Don't keep large amounts in your checking account. They won't cash a cheque if there is not enough money in your account, correct? Same with your ATM card: the machine will not spit out money that is not there.

Finally, I don't see how things in Mexico are much worse than they were in Canada. A Canadian bank employee embezzled thousands from my account and the account of others. My Sister, Father and Niece have all had their ATM cards compromised in Canada. My Canadian Master Card and VISA were both compromised with online purchases from well known US companies (in 2009). My nephews girlfriend forged his cheques and the bank cashed them. (She did it to her father as well). My Mom lost a chequebook and someone tried to forge and cash a check (Not enough money).

So the original point: Here, in Mexico, they do not need any ID to cash a cheque. In Canada and the US you can use anyone's stolen ID, your own ID or good fake ID. So it is just a little easier to get money with stolen checks in Mexico, than in other places.

Bottom line is: Don't loose your cheques, cover you PIN when you use ATMs and keep only what you need in your Checking account. In any Country. I just don't see how Mexico is worse than the US or Canada.

For Mexicans, those include but are not limited to a passport -- And that should be the same for Immigrants.

Those include your passport, but not a drivers license or your INM ID. - I agree with drivers license not being accepted. But there is nowhere in the law saying that IMM card cannot be accepted as valid means of identification. If you find it, please point it out to us.

A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel.

You are not even obliged to own a passport. If you don’t intend to travel out of the country, you don’t need it. Even as a foreigner, if I fly to another city within Mexico, I DON’T NEED IT.

What you need as ID in Mexico

A national identification number, national identity number, or national insurance number is used by the government as a means of tracking their citizens, permanent residents and temporary residents for the purposes of work, taxation, government benefits, health care and other governmentally-related functions. The number will appear on an identity document issued by a country. In Mexico this ID number is called the CURP (Clave Única de Registro de Población).

Non-citizens may be issued such numbers when they enter the country, or when granted a temporary or permanent residence permit. If you have it, banks should accept this as a proper ID and not request your passport for every day business. If you don’t have your CURP then you should have another ID with your picture on it (except driver’s license). Of course, you passport is handy, BUT THE PASSPORT SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY THING THEY REQUEST FROM AN IMMIGRANT.

Any other institutions or businesses insisting you show your passport for identification are off limits. Because they ask for it, does not mean they have a right to do so.

To open a bank account in Mexico the expat will need an migration document, proof of address (fixed line telephone bill or utility bill issued in the last two months), photo ID document (e.g. passport), and personal ID number (CURP). If you noticed, they gave passport as an example only—what they need is a photo ID document. A passport does not even have your address on it. It does not prove you live in Mexico . . . but the CURP does.

This issue came up at my bank last year when an employee insisted to see my passport to withdraw cash. I refused and said to look in my file if she wanted to see my passport, but in the meantime, I would show my ATM card or my CURP or immigration card for ID. No more discussion.

I did the same at the airport when it was time to board the plane in Mexico City to Guadalajara. First, I observed what Mexicans were showing as ID. Nothing. When my turn came, he asked for my passport. I said I was not leaving the country so did not need it. I said if you want my ID, here is my FM2 (at the time) while I made a fuss saying that it was discrimination. He looked discreetly at his colleague and let me pass after glancing at my card.

They know they have no right to insist to see my passport when I am not entering the country. They can always ask but not insist as if it was the only valid document to prove who we are.

I fly many times a year on national flights and they always ask for IFE ID cards at the Volaris baggage check in from Mexican Nationals and at the departure gate they also ask Mexican Nationals for their IFE card when boarding. Always. What airlines do you fly on?

A CURP is not a photo ID and for security reasons a photo ID is required.

My CURP does not have my address? No photo either and I printed it out myself from their website. No date of birth either.

Your post makes little sense to me having lived here for many years.

"The IFE or voter card, is a procedure for Mexican citizens who sign the electoral roll with the intention of obtaining their voting card. Significantly, the IFE is one of the most common official identification.

As mentioned above, to obtain the credential you must have Mexican nationality and be 18 years of age.

Requirements to apply for voter card

1.Original birth certificate

2.Proof of original residence

3.Official photo Identificación (Military booklet, passport, etc..)"

http://www.laeconomia.com.mx/ife-credencial/

Mexican Nationals are usually asked to show their IFE card when in a store when using a debit or credit card, standard procedure.

From AlanMexicali-- I fly many times a year on national flights and they always ask for IFE ID cards at the Volaris baggage check in from Mexican Nationals and at the departure gate they also ask Mexican Nationals for their IFE card when boarding. Always. What airlines do you fly on?

Nothing wrong with what you're telling me. Did they ask for their PASSPORT? What I was objecting is that they only WANT to see MY passport (nothing else) for an internal flight and not the passport from Mexican nationals (or what they believe by their looks are Mexicans--many are Americans or from different Latino countries.

I fly with Interjet. Nobody having a Latino look was EVEN asked for ID before boarding (I say before boarding, not the reservation counter) Only the people who appeared not to be Latino; and that's easy to detect. Why do you think I called this discrimination?

A CURP is not a photo ID and for security reasons a photo ID is required.

My CURP does not have my address? No photo either and I printed it out myself from their website. No date of birth either.

You must not have applied for a CURP card then because not only does it have a photo, it has my thumb fingerprint, my date of birth, my address and a reference in case of accident.

Your post makes little sense to me having lived here for many years.

My post make more sense than you think. If you live here many years, you should know that a CURP paper copy that is printed from the website is not good for identification; It's just for you to have your number. My CURP CARD does not have my clave number on it--I received the number on paper at another occasion.

You should inquire about a real CURP card (credencial de Afilicacion). You apply to INAPAM if you're over 65. That is an ID just as good as a IFE card for Mexicans with all the details on it. When Mexicans have to prove their identification, they show their IFE car and are NOT ASKED FOR THEIR PASSPORT. Why should a bank and airlines discriminate?

An IFE card is for citizens only, and I don't intend to become a Mexican citizen.

Seewee, we flew Interjet to New York about a month ago. I mean this as no offense, but do you understand Spanish? It was clearly announced at boarding that it was not necessary to show photo ID upon boarding, as the passengers had already shown their IDs at check-in.

A CURP card has none of the information you list. I'm looking at mine, it's just the CURP number and my name. You are surely looking at some other card.

You are eligible for an INAPM card at 60, not 65. Read here: http://www.inapam.gob.mx/es/INAPAM/Requisitos_para_obtener_la_Tarjeta_INAPAM

It would make life more peaceful for you living here in Mexico as a foreigner if you could simply accept the rules as they are, rather than rail against them. Official ID for Mexican citizens can be any one of the following:

* Identificación oficial con fotografía (IFE).
* Credencial del ISSSTE.
* Pasaporte.
* Cartilla del Servicio Militar.
* Licencia de manejo.
* Cédula profesional.
* Credencial o carnet del IMSS con fotografía (que aparezca la fecha de nacimiento).

Official ID for foreigners is your passport, issued by your country of origin. It doesn't matter if you are at a bank or checking in for a flight, or for any other reason.

Please read theses posts carefully, it appears some posters have not verified this information at their bank

as I mentioned in my first post, due your own do diligence and talk to your bank manager.

before I posted this a had talked to three different bank managers, the original post is what they told me.

I was very much surprised of what told me and I no longer keep a checking account or a ATM card in Mexico.

I suggest happy feet and el saltos, before you post again, please talk with your bank manager

It would seem I am wrong and I have to agree with Koko. Or as Shira says "its easier to love Mexico than understand it."

I also do 99.5% of my banking online and when I need to do large transfers, not between my own accounts, I get from my bank "una cheque de caja" take a photo copy then deposit in the persons or companys account.

This is completely ridiculous. How can bank employees have such lack of common sense? They ask me for my passport when I want to withdraw from my own account. Once I had to leave without my money because I did not have proper ID with me.

So, according to their check honor policy, next time I will write a check to "al portador" and be able to withdraw my funds without my passport. :015:

Good to know.

Seewee, we flew Interjet to New York about a month ago. I mean this as no offense, but do you understand Spanish? It was clearly announced at boarding that it was not necessary to show photo ID upon boarding, as the passengers had already shown their IDs at check-in.

A CURP card has none of the information you list. I'm looking at mine, it's just the CURP number and my name. You are surely looking at some other card.

You are eligible for an INAPM card at 60, not 65. Read here: http://www.inapam.gob.mx/es/INAPAM/Requisitos_para_obtener_la_Tarjeta_INAPAM

It would make life more peaceful for you living here in Mexico as a foreigner if you could simply accept the rules as they are, rather than rail against them. Official ID for Mexican citizens can be any one of the following:

* Identificación oficial con fotografía (IFE).

* Credencial del ISSSTE.

* Pasaporte.

* Cartilla del Servicio Militar.

* Licencia de manejo.

* Cédula profesional.

* Credencial o carnet del IMSS con fotografía (que aparezca la fecha de nacimiento).

Official ID for foreigners is your passport, issued by your country of origin. It doesn't matter if you are at a bank or checking in for a flight, or for any other reason.

More Liana, you said: It was clearly announced at boarding that it was not necessary to show photo ID upon boarding, as the passengers had already shown their IDs at check-in.

As you SO freely state, it is not necessary to show a photo ID upon boarding!!!! Hello!! Why do you think I objected when I was asked to show my passport? Why do you think I rail against some of THEIR rules made up by some zealous companies (or employees) harassing foreigners? Because ASKING ONLY THE PERSON WHO LOOKS LIKE A FOREIGNER FOR THEIR PASSPORT SHOULD NOT BE IN THEIR RULE. And I don't care if I'm in Mexico or in my own country. Foreigners have rights. Did you know that they cannot discriminate in this country as in any others?

I will not show my passport at my bank for a withdrawal or anything else besides opening an account. After refusing to leave the window, blocking the way for everyone else, calling the manager, I finally got my money without my passport. I showed my FM2 that time. Now, their policies have changed: at my bank, anyway, they don't ask for passports anymore as the only means of ID. Why is that, you think?

Official ID for foreigners is your passport, issued by your country of origin. Official ID to travel outside the country. Period.

It doesn't matter if you are at a bank or checking in for a flight, or for any other reason. Who says? The bank? The airline? They can make their own rules, but they're wrong. Again, show me where that is in the Constitution, rules or regulations of the country that a foreigner has to show his passport to withdraw funds at a bank or to travel within the country. That would be unconstitutional. Especially when they only aim at foreigners. A passport is for traveling outside the country.

You are surely looking at a piece of paper. I am looking at a plastic card. OK 60 and not 65 for CURP: my distraction, I got mine at 61.

If I knew how to do it, I would scan my card and show it on this forum. My Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion, Estados Unidos Mexicanos. Written on the back: credencial de Afiliacion with ALL the details as I stated before. Obviously, you have never seen one. There cannot be better ID than this along with our IMM card issued by their own government.

My CURP is a plastic card.

If you are in fact who your passport says you are, and you are entitled to hold the passport you hold, what on earth can be the problem with showing it?

Long years ago, I first heard this saying: "Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?"

My CURP is a plastic card.

If you are in fact who your passport says you are, and you are entitled to hold the passport you hold, what on earth can be the problem with showing it?

Long years ago, I first heard this saying: "Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?"

Maybe I don't want to carry my passport with me every day. May be because I have the need to alter the unjust things I always assumed I'd have to endure.

If you believe I do that to be right, you don't know me. And happiness has nothing to do with it.

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Apple Inc.

Your ONLY official ID when you're out of your home country is your passport. Period.

Your only official ID when you travel through a country is your passport.

When you live in a country, it's different. You're not just passing by.

You guys don't see the difference. That's okay with me. You can carry and show your passport to everyone who asks for it.

If there is something I can't stand is when a (my) bank or any other business ask for my passport. Do they ask Mexicans for their passport? No. There are other means of ID besides a passport.

I just use my Jalisco driver's license at Banamex and I have no problems. Get a Mexican state driver's license and you'll have no more problemas. It is easy and cheap here in Jalisco.

Hook--No you're not just passing by (maybe in your head but not according to the law). Unless you only have a 6-month pass. If you live here, you have a status. What is this misconception? Being a citizen (by birth or naturalization) is not the only thing that counts to deserve respect in this country, just as in Canada or in the States or any other civilized countries.

I am an immigrant and have the same constitutional rights as a citizen, and I also have to respect the Constitution just like a citizen. The difference between immigrant and citizen is a few privileges, which I'm sure you know about: right to vote, Mexican passport, political involvement, and a few other minor things that I couldn't care less about. It's just like in many other countries.

Have you ever read the Constitution? Well I have and I know all about immigration and rights.

If you consider yourself a passer-by, that's your problem. :mellow: Because I don't want to become a citizen, does not mean I'm not serious about this country. I don't agree with your interpretation of a country of words without real substance. I have nothing to prove. If someone chooses to become a citizen does not necessarily mean they will die in this country. I might just die in this country. So what? What does it have to do with being treated equally by the regulations that govern Mexico? Acceptance, belonging, feeling like a foreigner is in your heart not only in the paper you hold (if you know what I mean). :blink:

You say: "Mexicans believe we are all just passing by"!!!! Well I don't care what the population believes. They can accept immigrants or reject them. It's not written in our face what status we hold anyway. The ones that reject us probably know as little about their own Constitution as you do. If you feel like a second-class citizen in this country, I feel sorry for you. It must be difficult. I'm sure you must have had your reasons to stay a "passer-by" for 14 years.

I came here with the intention of becoming an immigrant from day one (never a citizen--I don't feel like explaining why), and I always felt equal to any other citizens. That is why I also speak Spanish. I adopted this country and this country adopted me. No need to ask for naturalization to prove it and be treated equally by the government.

Anyway, I'm done trying to explain what our rights as foreigners are. The word foreigner is not biased. It means someone who was born somewhere else. I have the right to speak and complain. If you want to know what you cannot do as an immigrant, you have to read and understand the Constitution. It has to be more serious than complaining.

As you SO freely state, it is not necessary to show a photo ID upon boarding!!!! Hello!! Why do you think I objected when I was asked to show my passport? Why do you think I rail against some of THEIR rules made up by some zealous companies (or employees) harassing foreigners? Because ASKING ONLY THE PERSON WHO LOOKS LIKE A FOREIGNER FOR THEIR PASSPORT SHOULD NOT BE IN THEIR RULE. And I don't care if I'm in Mexico or in my own country. Foreigners have rights. Did you know that they cannot discriminate in this country as in any others?

seewee, This is your life, but We are in Mexico, one of the most civil rights abusive countries in the world, and they really don't care what the rest of the world thinks about it. So, discrimination is not a big deal to them. If you REALLY look around you, you will see it everywhere. Your complaining about it can cause YOU lots of problems, however. My wife of 10 years (a Mexican and from Gto., has cautioned me many, many times in the past (rarely any more because I began realizing she was absolutely 100% correct) about my mouth and complaining about things that are not as they should be in Mexico. She has repeatedly reminded me that in Mexico less than 10% of those people who commit battery or murder ever go to jail, or are even apprehended. She told me that I was making myself a candidate as a target for those people who commit those crimes. I decided that I did not want to be "dead right" and that is a strong possibility for using my mouth. You need to realize how really vulnerable and helpless we are and can be here. Mexicans get EVEN and get REVENGE, they don't turn the other cheek. You will not make friends and influence people if you continue as you have stated. Mexicans "tolerate us" as long as we "mind our own business". If we don't, they can make our life here very miserable. Good luck, and this was intended to help you, that is all.

I appreciate your concern, Hook. But the fact that I complain to bank employees or airline employees about discrimination does not put my life in danger. I am not mean, just firm and polite, as always. Thanks for your warning.

If you are INMIGRANTE, take a look at your card. I think it says clearly that you are a temporary resident of Mexico.

The INM website lists them as Inmigrante Rentistas in their characterists and classifications list.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G5yqN1jKLMIJ:www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites_LM/Estancia_LM/Matriz_de_Equiparacion_V2.xlsx+Equiparacion+de+calidades+y+caracteristicas&cd=1&hl=es-419&ct=clnk&gl=mx

Click this: "Abra este contenido en una nueva ventana" to view chart.

Interesting an "Economic Dependent" is listed as a "visitante" not an "Inmigrante" with a Residente Temporal card.

SEEWEE: "If I knew how to do it, I would scan my card and show it on this forum. My Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion, Estados Unidos Mexicanos. Written on the back: credencial de Afiliacion with ALL the details as I stated before. Obviously, you have never seen one. There cannot be better ID than this along with our IMM card issued by their own government."

Surely you are looking at your IMSS card, not your CURP card.

2w7rdeg.jpg

2cn8b2p.jpg

I always carry a copy of my passport when living in Mexico in my wallet for those who are interested..

No other ID except American IDS..

Mexican Law is quite specific- You must carry the ORIGINAL OF YOUR MEXICAN VISA-

copies of passport are not considered legal by banks, police etc,

if you live here, why would you only carry an American ID?? pointless

Where would you even use a check here in Mexico?

Checks are very useful in Mexico for paying workers who have no bank account. I have been paying my gardeners for years by check and they like it since if stolen it cannot get cashed if made out to the proper name. Checks "al portador" yes, but only occasional and to trusted people. Just like your debit and credit cards, you never leave your checkbooks unattended in your home or elsewhere.

How did you post those cards? I'm trying to do it with the instructions from above and it does not work.

No, Alan. I don't have a IMSS card. I have two different cards for MY CURP: one is a paper card similar to your green that shows my curp #, and another one similar to your plastic card that shows my picture, address and fingerprint on the back of it, plus a reference of someone to be reached in case of accident. This card comes from INAPAM. I can't believe I'm the only one with such a card. This is the best ID you can have along with IMM of course and Mexican driver's licence. It's issued by the Mexican government.

In any case, my complaint was why were the banks asking only for a passport (not anymore at my bank) when making a withdrawal and airline employees asking foreigners (traveling within Mexico) to show their passport when there are MEXICAN CARDS with picture, address in Mexico, whereas our passport does not have an address so does not even prove that we live in Mexico?

An IMM, a CURP card (like mine) and even a Mexican driver's license which have our picture, address, etc. would be a better proof of ID. I don't need to prove where I come from when I go to my bank or travel from Mexico city to Guad. I need to prove that I am who I am and that I live here.

That's all I had to say. :blink:

SEEWEE: "If I knew how to do it, I would scan my card and show it on this forum. My Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion, Estados Unidos Mexicanos. Written on the back: credencial de Afiliacion with ALL the details as I stated before. Obviously, you have never seen one. There cannot be better ID than this along with our IMM card issued by their own government."

Surely you are looking at your IMSS card, not your CURP card.

2w7rdeg.jpg

2cn8b2p.jpg

seewee, the "other" card you have is NOT a CURP card, it is to gain discounts for people aged 60 and over, and is the newer "Federal" version of the DIF card for 3rd aged people (antes INSEN). It has never been allowed as an ID for me in all the years I have had it, except to gain discounts for entry and merchandise at various places. On the back in the top left corner it says GENTE GRANDE, with a red heart. The only problem that I see with them accepting this card is there is NO WAY to verify the address, and mine has changed 5 times since I received mine, but the card is still good for what it does (also 1/2 price on bus and airlines discount ). Would be lovely IF they would accept it otherwise. :) Mine says "no curp" because I didn't have it with me that day. :) Mystery solved ! :)

You may be right that I can obtain discount with this card as it is given to people older than 60. I've never used it for that purpose.

Why does mine say: Clave Unica de Registro de Poblacion, Delegacion Jalisco on it. Don't you have this? And mine does not have on the back what you are saying. The back says: Credencial de Afiliacion.

As for the address, it does not matter if you move, you still have a Mexican address showing that when the card was issued you lived in Mexico. It's not required to advise them when we move.And there's no expiration date on it.

What more can i say? I see what I see. I don't invent things. May be the employee was not supposed to give this to me. If I knew how to post the darn card, I would. :D

Mexican Law is quite specific- You must carry the ORIGINAL OF YOUR MEXICAN VISA-

copies of passport are not considered legal by banks, police etc,

if you live here, why would you only carry an American ID?? pointless

No you may have a black and white notarized copy of your Visa and it is legal in Mexico.

This has gone through the courts. You must carry original drivers license.

Archived