Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing Mexico to US border with US plated car

lkarelee

My permit on my 2007 Honda was dated February 2010 - when I originally crossed...of course, it has long expired. I think I paid 400 pesos then - so getting a reimbursement is not an issue. I have been FM3 status since March of 2010 - so according to all the posting I have read, my permit remained legal.

I am now going back to the US to sell the car (J Vin) - can I expect any issues when I cross? Will they just remove the sticker and send me on my way? Do I need to bring any additional documentation?

You need the original piece of paper that the sticker came from to turn in at the Banjercito booth. Make of copy of it to keep, of course. At the booth they will give you a razor blade to peel your sticker off to hand to them and then will give you a long cash register style receipt which you want to keep with the copy in your important papers file "forever" in case any issue ever pops up.

The location of the Banjercito booth varies by area where you cross. At Nogales it's 20 km before the border but crossing into Texas it's much closer to the border. Just watch for the signs directing foreign cars into a special lane. Don't drive past the booth if you don't see anyone inside because in some places you'll have to cross the border and then circle back to do it all over again. Sometimes they're not very busy and the person is sitting down lower than you can see through the window in the door or they might not even be in there for some reason, bathroom break, chatting with their colleague in the main building, etc., so just sit there until someone shows up. That happened to us at Nogales last month.

Since I came down b4 deposits happened, I just need to turn in my sticker and paperwork and head towards US, right?

Your TIP was cancelled the first year after your FM3 date expired if you did not notify ADUANA of your INM visa renewal, and every year after that in a freeform letter, your renewed FM3 and your original TIP receipt and copies, no fee. They send a form they fill out for you and the copies to Mexico City and then if approved they mail you a letter stating your TIP has been renewed for another year until the date on your renewed INM visa expires. If you did go into an ADUANA office within 15 days after receiving your INM renewals your TIP was not cancelled you should have a series of letters to show when driving in Mexico if stopped by the Federal Police or ADUANA, if they ask for proof of your vehicle being legally in Mexico

If not you should go to an ADUANA office and get a free of charge "Safe Return" permit good for 5 days before heading to have your TIP sticker removed at the border. Many have canceled TIPs and the booths at the border do not ask any questions, as has been confirmed by many in this situation, deposit lost if there was one. TIP cancelled, receipt given, no more problems.

Good info. Thanks. We have "J" car, have not been renewing our TIP, and find ourselves in "karenl"s shoes, needing to return the car to the US to sell it. So we have a road trip to look forward to, and will get the "safe return" permit from Aduana when we can schedule the trip.

We got our TIP in 2005. I think the requirement for "renewal" didn't start until they started collecting $400US for the TIP.

I read all the rules published on SAT ADUANA´s website and this has been the rule since at least 2002 as that is the oldest rules I could find published there. It has been misinformation that it was not required to notify ADUANA in a freeform letter within 15 days and no later than 45 days or the deposit and TIP would be cancelled automatically. The newest published rules are last year and they haven´t changed expect using the newest, at the time, INM terms for the visas.

Article 106 of ADUANA´s rule does state the above further down on this article and also states that all rules have to be followed to validate a current TIP and right on the TIP rules this is required, and states "IF" you had left a deposit your deposit would be handed over to the SAT treasury the day after the 15 days was up from the date your last INM visa has expired if not notifying ADUANA of a renewed visa or change in visas status and also no TIPs are allowed for Inmigrante Lucritivas or Inmigrados, only allowed for no Inmigrantes and Inmigrante Rentistas [retirees].

INM does not notify ADUANA of renewed visas or changes in visa status. You are supposed to at one of their 49 offices nationwide. As far as they know your visa expired as of the last time they had notification and documentation of that particular INM visa and so did your TIP get cancelled at that time also by them.

I crossed. A female reached in and tore off t he sticker. Waved methrough. No problem. Why do we make things so complicated?

If you did not get the computerized receipt, your car is still officially in Mexico and you cannot bring in another.

I read all the rules published on SAT ADUANA´s website and this has been the rule since at least 2002 as that is the oldest rules I could find published there. It has been misinformation that it was not required to notify ADUANA in a freeform letter within 15 days and no later than 45 days or the deposit and TIP would be cancelled automatically. The newest published rules are last year and they haven´t changed expect using the newest, at the time, INM terms for the visas.

Article 62 of ADUANA´s rule does state the above further down on this article and also states that all rules have to be followed to validate a current TIP and right on the TIP rules this is required, and states "IF" you had left a deposit your deposit would be handed over to the SAT treasury the day after the 15 days was up from the date your last INM visa has expired if not notifying ADUANA of a renewed visa or change in visas status and also no TIPs are allowed for Inmigrante Lucritivas or Inmigrados, only allowed for no Inmigrantes and Inmigrante Rentistas [retirees].

INM does not notify ADUANA of renewed visas or changes in visa status. You are supposed to at one of their 52 offices nationwide. As far as they know your visa expired as of the last time they had notification and documentation of that particular INM visa and so did your TIP get cancelled at that time also by them.

Article 62 of ADUANA´s rule does state the above further down on this article and also states that all rules have to be followed to validate a current TIP and right on the TIP rules this is required, and states "IF" you had left a deposit your deposit would be handed over to the SAT treasury the day after the 15 days was up from the date your last INM visa has expired if not notifying ADUANA of a renewed visa or change in visas status and also no TIPs are allowed for Inmigrante Lucritivas or Inmigrados, only allowed for no Inmigrantes and Inmigrante Rentistas [retirees].

INM does not notify ADUANA of renewed visas or changes in visa status. You are supposed to at one of their 52 offices nationwide. As far as they know your visa expired as of the last time they had notification and documentation of that particular INM visa and so did your TIP get cancelled at that time also by them.

What is a free form letter?

What is a free form letter?

It is a declaration written by you in any form that contains the information that you have renewed or changed your immigration visa to another one that is valid from the date of your last one with no lapse or fines and if changed it is not from no Inmigrante to Inmigrante Lucritiva or to Inmigrado but your are allowed to change to Inmigrante Rentista from no Inmigrante. They check your original newest INM visa and your original TIP documents and keep copies of these with a form they complete and your letter and send the package to ADUANA in Mexico City for approval.

Why do we have to make things so complicated? The post said he paid 400 pesos to bring his car into Mexico. There was no deposit. He is on an FM3. The old rules state that his car import sticker is valid as long as he has a valid immigration document. He DOES need the original document that the import sticker came on. He simply turns in his sticker at the border when he is headed north, gets a receipt, and drives out of the country.

Oh, don't plan to. Would anyone bring in another car NOW? Guess the short timers might. I think we give MX systems too much credit. The border folks don't seem to care who goes through. We seem to make it complicated.

I think you have oversimplified Mexico and their latest set of rules and laws regarding vehicles legally in Mexico and tearing off a TIP and not giving you a computerized receipt might not matter to you but does to others who might or might not want to be in the SAT ADUANA´s data base as having a vehicle illegally in Mexico when applying for future INM statuses or citizenship. IMO

It appears the gov´t.´s computerized data bases in Mexico are becoming increasingly better as of the last decade.

Why not just follow the rules as written and become worry free in case of future screw ups that cannot be easily fixed.

If someone buys your vehicle in the future and drives in into Mexico, if they do it illegally, another "chocolate here" your passport and name will still be tied to it in Mexico and if an accident happens they might come looking for you one day.

Why do we have to make things so complicated? The post said he paid 400 pesos to bring his car into Mexico. There was no deposit. He is on an FM3. The old rules state that his car import sticker is valid as long as he has a valid immigration document. He DOES need the original document that the import sticker came on. He simply turns in his sticker at the border when he is headed north, gets a receipt, and drives out of the country.

The problem with what you state is "the old rules" DID not state your TIP was valid as long as your INM visas where valid. This is simply misinformation. But complicated or not rules are rules and when you applied for a TIP you signed and agreed to the rules.

For Expats reading here in the same situation I advise them to get a "safe return" permit good for 5 days before heading to the border. Not complicated, but a good idea.

Article 106 also states latter on:

"VEHICLES COVERED IN THIS POINT, MUST COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS TO INDICATE THE RULES"

TIP rules:

"Permit limits

The terms of the permit are:

For Mexicans from abroad

The time allowed is up to 180 days in a period of twelve months, this case can not be extended six months and are computed in multiple entries and exits made ​​within the period of 12 months from the date of first entry into the national territory .

For foreigners

The term is given to return the vehicles is the effect of immigration status, its extensions, extensions, endorsements or change of nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant financier [rentista], provided there is continuity in migration status granted in accordance Law of Migration so that the term of temporary import permit vehicle may be credited with the official document issued by the immigration authorities, without requiring authorization from the customs authorities."

Obligation to register and return the vehicle.

If a vehicle was imported temporarily it can not be sold in Mexico and must return it out of the country.

For more information contact your consular or call toll INFOSAT 1877 44 88 728.

If you fail to return the vehicle, the guarantee will be called and Banjército transfer the amount thereof to the Federal Treasury, no later than the second banking day following the day on which the expiration of the temporary .

If your period [plaza/visa] is extended by extension or endorsement of its quality [renewals]or change in nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant rentista (provided there is continuity in migration categories), so that the left does not guarantee becomes effective, must occur in any 49 customs of the country, a free-form writing, giving notice of that fact within 15 working days following the day on which he had granted the extension, enlargement, endorsement or change of nonimmigrant visa status to immigrant financier [rentista] and must attach a copy of proof of such proceedings, and the temporary import permit of the vehicle and, if appropriate, the admission card.

If the vehicle's return is not made in time, it is suggested not to drive, since it will be illegally in the country and may be subject to penalties and seizure of the vehicle, so you must arrange a safe return permit."

You made my point. Gracias.

You are correct, and I was wrong.

It reads that ONLY the deposit will be lost if you do not notify ADUANA within 15 days of a renewal or change in status, as long as it is not Inmigrante Lucritiva or Inmigrado, NOT that the TIP will be cancelled. The TIP will be valid as long as your allowable INM visas do not lapse. The letter to ADUANA is for securing the original deposit.

"• If you are a foreigner and the National Migration Institute granted an extension, expansion, endorsement or change in your immigration status, it must be filed within 15 days after the date which they have granted an extension, expansion, endorsement or change this notice of such circumstances, to any custom of the country or the Central Administration of Customs Operations, in which is stated that fact, attaching a copy of proof of such proceedings and the temporary import permit of the vehicle, the letter should be submitted before time of the final return, in order that you get back the deposit from Banjercito."

last modified:

14/October/2011, 13:44, current information.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_21628.html

Drove my dreaded J car from PV to Mazatlan, took the ferry to La Paz, drove up Baja and crossed at Tecate. Got my sticker scraped off and a receipt for removing it. Was not a long cash register receipt as mentioned above- is a paper that looks a lot like the original import permit that had the sticker on it, titled Certificado de Returno. I had already blown my deposit, so maybe that's why I didn't get the receipt described.

FYI the drive up Baja was much more pleasant than driving the mainland to Nogales. Baja is not full of federales, policia de estado, or transitos, at least not on the highway. Some police on highway near Ensenada only. About 4 military checkpoints in total, mostly manned by polite 18 year old soldiers who gave my car a 3 minute search and smiled and said go on, though I noticed that they do tear some folk's cars apart, especially if they are packed with stuff (I only had two bags and my cooler).

Not once anywhere was I asked for my Safe Return paper, nor in fact asked to produce ANY vehicle or personal ID papers (except at ferry terminal in Mazatlan, where they only asked for passport and vehicle license #). When I got to border crossing at Tecate, the line-up was only about 20 minute wait ( purposely did not cross at Tijuana, as I heard that the border waits can take hours, also the Banjercito office is not at Tijuana, but Otay Mesa, and difficult to get to when driving north- drive to Tecate takes a little longer, but drive is nice, through wine country and no heavy traffic). However, when I got to the the head of the line, I saw only Welcome to USA, so asked where Aduana was, which was a couple blocks over, took awhile to find it, and the guy directing traffic wanted to send me back to the original exit, had to explain I NEEDED to check my car out with Aduana.

Aduana man understood about getting the sticker scraped off, but HAD NEVER HEARD ABOUT RESIDENTE PERMANENTES FOREIGN PLATED VEHICLES BEING ILLEGAL. He asked where I had gotten that information and I told him from his bosses in Mexico City. He said "weird" and shook his head. The girl from Banjercito who came out to scrape off my sticker also didn't know about this when I told her why I had to check the car out and return it to Canada to sell, and said that it sounded stupid and that she was sorry.

Just thought I'd share my Baja experience. Word of warning- Baja ferries make taking a dog with you difficult, according to friends who have done it. Also you get meals included if you book a room, but bring your own food- the slop they serve is virtually inedible.

Mazatlan to la Paz ferry is 18 hours, Los Mochis/Topolobampo-la Paz only about 6, but didn't want to drive all the way to Los Mochis. Baja Ferries website is good, all info there. But don't believe anything they say about bringing a dog with you- no one really knows, but they will say whatever. You can't go down to car deck during crossing, so take anything you'll need up with you. Book a cabin- expensive, (770 pesos) but at least you can sleep, shower, and have some private space. had to wait about 2 hours in the hot sun to board with my car, and again on La Paz side, 2 hrs in hot sun, creeping lineup to get out of terminal and through military check, (altho no one asked for any ID or car papers) another 149 peso charge (seems Baja Ferries won't pay to dock there, so terminal charges the passengers), and another 30 pesos to spray the bottom of your car with 5 pesos worth of poison, can't opt out.

Drove to Santa Rosalia the first night, San Quintin the second (about 8-10 hours a day) and crossed the border mid-aft the 3rd day. You could make it in 2 days if you like driving, but the roads are 2 lane blacktop the whole way (no toll hwys til you get north of Ensenada- if you take hwy3 to Tecate, no tolls at all) and the road is very twisty-turny when you get near the coasts, dangerous to do if you are tired or in the dark. And you can ignore the 80 km speed limit- most traffic goes about 110-120 on the straight roads through the interior of Baja, but slow down when you get close to towns, I did see some cops near there, but none out in the empty desert.

Also heard Baja is all one cartel, so no drug wars there, didn't run into anything even remotely sketchy, which is not to say we shouldn't always have our heads up.

Archived