Chapala.com Webboard

Time to process application of Permanente

JKL

I'm doing my change from an FM3 with a "4" on the back (i.e. no financials) to a Permanete by myself at the Chapala INM office. Every day I check the INM website to see how it's going. Things are changing, but not as I would expect and I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. I dropped off my paperwork and the receipt for the 1000-peso deposit on 10 June.

For the first several weeks, the INM site showed, basically:

10 June 2013 Papers turned in

11 June 2013 Papers received/accepted

11 June 2013 Payment received/accepted

After a few weeks, the first two lines were the same, but the last (third) line showed

11 JULY 2013 Payment received/accepted

And now it the third line shows

16 JULY 2013 Payment received/accepted

Anybody got a clue what's going on with that??? I do have copies of the receipt from the bank showing that I paid the 1000 pesos on 10 JUNE 2013.

Thanks!

We applied for Permanente with the no financials requirement and continuous residency on May 27th and haven't heard a thing. I inquired and was told by my facilitator that things were slow in Guadalajara and Chapala. How slow? Nobody seems to know.

This situation is getting so stressful for some that a friend is thinking of applying in another state and using a friend's address in order to get Permanente status more quickly, and then changing their address to their real address in Jalisco. Would that work for them?

We applied for Permanente with the no financials requirement and continuous residency on May 27th and haven't heard a thing. I inquired and was told by my facilitator that things were slow in Guadalajara and Chapala. How slow? Nobody seems to know.

This situation is getting so stressful for some that a friend is thinking of applying in another state and using a friend's address in order to get Permanente status more quickly, and then changing their address to their real address in Jalisco. Would that work for them?

Definitely works. In SMA you do not even need proof of address, just state what it is. Bring visa, passport and pesos. In 1.5 hours done. In 7 to 8 days finger prints and signatures. In 2 to 3 more weeks visa is ready and can be picked up and sent to visa holder.

We applied May 7, with financials and will be fingerprinted today. 14 weeks.

BTW the stress level drops dramatically when you get the call to come in. Now we'll have to stress to see if we get the cards by the time we leave the country next month.

Do not leave the country without those cards, unless you get permission from INM for a 60 day exit and re-entry. There is a fee for that document and you must return within the 60 day limit, being sure to get clearly stamped out and back into Mexico. Then, you must return that document to INM after your return.

Definitely works. In SMA you do not even need proof of address, just state what it is. Bring visa, passport and pesos. In 1.5 hours done. In 7 to 8 days finger prints and signatures. In 2 to 3 more weeks visa is ready and can be picked up and sent to visa holder.

Is this also true in the case where they don't have a "3" on the back of their FM-2's and need to prove financials? In this case, it's no problem, but how would it affect the time factor? I'm assuming they would need to take a second and third trip to San Miguel for fingerprinting and collecting the cars. Si or no?

Is this also true in the case where they don't have a "3" on the back of their FM-2's and need to prove financials? In this case, it's no problem, but how would it affect the time factor? I'm assuming they would need to take a second and third trip to San Miguel for fingerprinting and collecting the cars. Si or no?

Two trips or stay for 7 to 8 days. Another person can sign for card and pickup and courier. Applies to any renewal. If a 3 on the back can only apply date of expiration, no financials and will become a Permanent Resident. Time factor is same with all renewals in SMA.

And get an INM-stamped copy of the letter when you give it back to them to prove that you did so.

In any other place your visa is ready when you return. You must be back into INM within 5 days of entering Mexico.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on our application for Permanente began July 23, 2013. As I posted previously, we were notified August 13 to come into Guadalajara for our fingerprints. We went into Guadalajara on August 16th and were fingerprinted. We were notified on-line August 26th that our applications were complete and could be picked up in Guadalajara. We had gone through a facilitator, and phoned their office to ask when the cards would be available in their Chapala office. We were told that when their people checked with INM in Guadalajara that our cards were NOT there. They also stated that this was happening with several of their clients, i.e., INM would notify applicants on the web site that their cards were in Guadalajara, but they were not actually there. We were then notified September 12th by our facilitator that our cards were in Guadalajara BUT there was going to be a ceremony to present the cards at LCS on Friday September 13th. And that's what took place.

So it appears that in order to have a public ceremony with officials present (head of Jalisco Immigration, and head of Jalisco Tourism) that INM in Guadalajara HELD the cards for a while in order to have a group presentation.

Summary from start to finish:

July 23 - Original application for Permanente

August 13 - Notification to come in for fingerprints

August 26 - Notification that cards were in INM Guadalajara

September 13 - Cards Presented at LCS in group ceremony

I just read this. I think that is a hilarious story: cards being held so a ceremony and photo opportunity could occur. It would have been OK if someone let you know in advance! Did you get a picture taken when you were given your card? I think this would be a memorable experience. Sometimes I do not think people realize how difficult it is to obtain permanent residency status in a Country. It does warrant a ceremony or, at least. a presentation.

In any case. Congratulations!!! I know I was totally relieved and happy to hold my car in my hand. (Just wish I could get the retake on the photo!)

We did not receive any pictures, although the press was there as well as others taking pictures. Like you, yes it felt really good to finally become permanente, since we applied as FM2's originally, and after more than five years in the making, the ceremony was nice.

Archived