Chapala.com Webboard

Why don't wide screen TV's show the whole picture image?

Finally my old, old TV has given up the ghost and I must confess to being a HDTV illiterate. In checking out wide screen/ flat screen display models at Walmart I notice that 95% or more do not fill up the entire screen with the picture image. Most fill only 2/3 to 3/4 of the screen with black edges/spaces at both the top and bottom of the screen. I have noticed this at the home of friends also. Why is this and what do you do to fill the entire screen with the picture image?

The standard HiDef TV has a screen ratio of of 16:9. (Old TVs were 4:3). Movie screens are 1.85 are 2.35 to 1. Most of the stuff you see on display in stores is from movie DVDs. The movie picture is much wider than it is high, so it automatically reduces in size when displaying on a HiDef TV; therefore, black along the top and bottom

A HiDef TV usually has a function that can make it fit, but either squeezes it to fill the height so that the picture is distorted, or does not squeeze but zooms in so that the sides are cut off.

Also, Standard Definition channels are broadcast 4:3, so there are always black edges on the sides. If you zoom in on a cable news channel, you tend to lose most of the crawl that appears along the bottom.

Lately, a few movie aspect TVs have come on the market, but nobody is broadcasting in that format, so they are very expensive and not good for HiDef broadcasts. In fact, there really aren't that many HiDef channels available even now, so you can imagine how long it will take before (and even if) we'll get movie aspect shows. Probably works well, though, with channels like AMC and Turner, who broadcast in the original aspect ratio.

Your tv remote most likely has a button on it that says something like "Pic Size." You can adjust the ratio, ie, the size, of your picture to fit the best. I need to adjust it for individual progams. TV shows, movies, etc, may all be broadcast in different screen ratios.

My Sony Bravia TV is set to automatically adjust the picture to the TV screen.

You probably had it set up that way, and it always sets the picture to one size, right? I've never heard of a set that can figure out the broadcast ration. There would have to be a signal embedded in the picture, and I've never heard of that yet, either.

Archived