Chapala.com Webboard

bringing limes to US?

lcrop1

I heard about a northbound bus that was delayed two hours because one gal had a banana in her bag.

US Customs confiscated a bag of Chicharones (fried pork rinds) from me. I have seen the same brand for sale in the US and am not sure if they were made in the US sold in Mexico and I was bringing them back into the US. (Truth be told, I think they just wanted to eat them!) <g>

The reason fruit & veggies are stopped at the border is simple. They may harbor insects that could decimate parts of the USA's agricultural industry. Tiny boring insects can easily escape detection as they are difficult to see with the naked eye. Especially after they have penetrated a limes' outer skin. Often there are no natural defenses to stop their spread. Zebra Mussels, who hitched a ride on ocean vessels coming into USA waters (and subsequently onto recreational vessels and others), are raising havoc with municipal water systems in parts of the country are but one example. Exotic aquarium plants dumped into local streams & lakes when no longer wanted have clogged lakes - millions of dollars have been spent trying to control them. Many were spread when fishermen and other boaters snagged a small piece with their boat trailers at a landing and then dropped it when launching at another lake.

Hope all will cut the border inspectors some slack - they are doing a vital and necessary service.

Archived