Chapala.com Webboard

Baya Bistro

ShanConshue

We went to Baya Bistro the other day for lunch. We met the Chef, a delightful young man from Argentia. I love our International draw here!

Bob had the puttanesca and I had a hamburger, with seriously the best side of roasted potatoes ever!. Both were delicious! Then we met the owner, Bert, who was a friend right away. He's from Holland so he and Bob had lots to talk about.

Good food, great people and reasonable pricing.

I also went to the Baya Bistro last week. We wanted to go because of the new chef.

I had the ribs and roasted potatoes. I have to agree that the potatoes were the best I have ever had. The ribs were perfect. It was lunch and the serving was the perfect size for me. I enjoyed it very much.

My friend really enjoys wine and she was disappointed with the small serving of wine for the price. She said, and I agree, that restaurants should include a low cost wine on their list so they can provide a decent size.

Very common in British Columbia at the moment: You can order a 5 or 7 oz glass of wine.

There are so many inexpensive wines available, and they can make a big profit off of those as well. I am happy with a mineral water, but I know people who love their wine and price and quantity matter to them.

We three also went last week, the new chef is doing great new food not seen Lakeside, we had Salmon ravioli and spinach ravioli and the fried shrimp , everything was to perfection, and of coarse the sweet potatoes fries are still there, yum yum...We were satisfied with the wine, portion was as it should be...Baya Bistro will become one of our regular restaurants...

After reading these positive reviews we decided to give this restaurant another try. My husband had the puttanesca with chicken and I had the bbq ribs with roasted potatoes. We ordered a Greek salad to share that never came. After the second bite of the puttanesca that had chicken skin and gristle in it ... the meal was over for my husband. He can not take (nor can I) chewy chicken skin. He had asked if it would be skinless chicken breast and was told "yes" ... he then asked could it please be cooked well done and was told "yes". My ribs had a good flavor but were not tender (I like mine falling off the bone tender). The roasted potatoes were great. My iced tea was either not brewed or had been brewed for several days as it was dark, cloudy and bitter. No bread was served with either meal. The dirty plates were left on the table and no one noticed when we said thank you and left. We did hear one other woman telling (who I am guessing was the new owner) that her food was good but the service was lacking today.

All this being said, we will give them another try in a couple of weeks after the memory of yellow chicken skin has receded but will remember to ask to speak to the owner before ordering if we have a question about the food or the way it is prepared.

You are being very patient and understanding. :D I think there are few diners Lakeside who would be as forgiving. I admire your honesty in the review and in saying you will give Bert and his restaurant another chance later on. I think and hope the Bistro will live up to your expectations at that time. We have very much enjoyed our meals there and we like the fact that Bert is trying to introduce and maintain a varied and interesting menu. Good luck next time and do speak with Bert when you go.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another plug for Bayo Bistro. Went there yesterday evening for dinner; we love their varied menu and the attentive service. The chef came around to see if we were happy with our meals and we were. For anyone who is gluten intolerant, the chef when requested will make rice pasta as I had recently. All in all a much improved restaurant with the new chef. We will return.

• 3 months later...

WE like the Bistro and Bert and have not been disappointed in the past...so hoping all is good when we go there next, having recently arrived from Ontario.

Bert is a great host and deserves to hear your comments in person, and I am betting he will address issues with his staff and chef. Give it another try....

I hope Bert is reading these comments too.......

• 2 weeks later...

The new chef is good, but he is really in a difficult spot with such poor wait staff. That guy who works as the main waiter seems to have a pretty bad attitude and I do not think they can just get rid of him, unfortunately. I have enjoyed my meals there, but we did have good attention from the chef. I almost did not know that there was a waiter. It was quiet so the chef could talk with us and take the order himself. I had short ribs and roasted potatoes that I really enjoyed.

My mom is here visiting and we took her there. It was late and they were probably all ready to close up, but instead they welcomed us in and lit the fire for us. My mom had THE BEST raviolis ever, spinach and mushroom...I stole some off of her plate! Bobby had the oriental rice and i had the oriental noodles.. Both were yummy! We have always found the chef, Guillermo, to be wonderful and more then willing to accommodate my dietary requirements.

Out of all the times we have been there, Bert was only there once. His chef runs what appears to be a tight ship.

One of our faves here lakeside.

Archived