Chapala.com Webboard

Mexicans driving US plated cars??? What do they have to do?

Yes, you may see Mexicans with USA visas and residency driving USA plated cars in Mexico. You may also see some who are driving such vehicles without the legal right to do so. For importation, there are other situations for them; not for us. So let us not compare apples with oranges. This could just open a long can of worms and become even more confusing.

What the vehicle rules are now, dictates what we may do; not what someone can do. There is a big difference.

Curious about Mexicans that have a US plated car. What are they doing about Nationalizing these cars (which we all see them) and is there a different rule?

There are hundreds of thousands of illegal cars with US plates driven by Mexicans referred to as "chocolates". They bring them in and if stopped pay 500 pesos and keep driving. Some make a business of it. One person I know brought in a car every week for 7 years and made a good living. Mexicans worry a lot less about these types of issue.

In a very few states such as Chihuahua and Guanajuato they nationalize virtually through UCD as we are doing. Most just drive them with no insurance. And, it is legal for them and expats to sell many using a Carta Responsiva form for cars.

A Carta Responsiva is a release of liability and may only be good as the solvency of the signer.

• 3 months later...

I've nationalized 2 cars over the years by selling each one to my Mexican wife. All went suprizingly smooth.

Now, I've become a Mexican citizen and hope to Nationalize a 2002 Ford Explorer at the Laredo border without

using a broker. I did not use a broker before. My question is this.

While in Texas I was rear ended reulting in very light damage. No police report. They would not come to the scene

since there were no injuries. I have photos of both vehicles and can prove the accident happened in Texas.

Since repairs are sky rocket high for body work in the USA, my thought is to get the very light rear damage done in Mexico.

WIll the authorities permit me to national this vehicle with it's very light damage (very slight indentation and scuffed

paint on the rear hatch door).

Any body know or want to guess or give other advice? Thanks, Tu amigo, Sid

Archived