Chapala.com Webboard

nationalizing a US plated car

bezerk

1. Is Intercasa ( Spencer ) now doing this or no???

2. Has anyone paid a reputable , legal person to do this for them?

If so who and what are the steps involved etc..easy like basic info..

3. I read all the info and just get overwhelmed...too much nitty gritty..

4. I heard S&S Auto was doing this , is that so, has anyone done it with them I think Karen?

To help out I have a Dodge Caravan 2005. It has been maintained perfectly, has very low mileage, we only use for trips and feel it is in our best interest to nationalize rather than sell..

Any and all help appreciated..even avoid this one or go to this one etc..

Below it is suggested to do it yourself. All nationalizing of vehicles must be done through a broker. One can not it themselves in the literal sense.

This program started 3 weeks ago and the first pedimento is to be here early next week. Three being processed are from Manazanillo. If the pedimento does not come or there is a problem all monies refunded. My wife's notes;

1981 to 2007 NAFTA Made Vehicles

UCD is an association of campesinos who combine efforts to improve conditions and advocating for farmers etc, buy seeds, farming, irrigation, home improvements, making less expensive foreign vehicles legal, government liaison / support for their causes, etc. UCD or similar organizations can be found in most states in Mexico. They also have approval to nationalize cars just as they do in several states including Chihuahua and Oaxaca, etc. and now in Guanajuato. UCD is similar to the farmers' cooperatives in Canada.

I have been working for months with UCD to be able to provide this service. They have asked me to be their sole representative for this area. The head of UCD for Guanajuato state is my contact. In the past he worked for several years in a senior position with Aduana.

UCD has been granted approval by the Governor of Guanajuato state to nationalize vehicles in this manner in cooperation with Aduana. A registered broker is the person who submits all documents to Aduana and it is done at the border. This is the same as other nationalizing processes such as at the Guadalajara airport.

You do not have to leave the place where you live and costs are several thousand pesos less. Once the documents are returned in approximately a month you can register your vehicle anywhere in Mexico.

Note: This is one of the few and maybe the only remaining virtual nationalizing process. This is not a permanent and can end at any time. So far we are hoping it continues to at least November so we can nationalize our 2008 SUV.

The first step is having you send me a scanned copy of your car title. For a trailer I need photos of all 4 sides, photo of serial number, measurements and title, please. In approximately 2 business days you will know the exact cost. The cost will include 100 pesos to ensure your vehicle was not reported stolen in Mexico, Aduana's fee, broker's fee and mine. There will be no surprises. The range is approx 19,000 to 27,000 pesos total for a NAFTA made vehicle. VIN mist start with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and vehicle from 1981 to 2007. We can also nationalize some trailers, often for less than cars. In November this year, 2008 vehicles can be nationalized.

If the vehicle is in a company name you will have to indicate in writing in whose name you want the pedimento, receipt and title. You will write this on the back of the title with the words: "Cedo los derechos de este vehiculo (your printed and signed name). And then ... ATT:(name of company).

The costs I quote includes all fees for nationalizing. If you are not local I pay the courier fees to return pedimento, factura and title to you. The only additional fees you will have are those you pay to the government for the process / costs for your license plates and local registration.

Once we have the cost you will meet me to take photos of your vehicle and submit the documents (or if you are not local please scan and send me the photos). No long distance driving is required. You save on stress, driving to the border, gasoline, tolls, accommodations, meals, finding a reputable broker, vehicle inspection, numerous forms etc.

Requirements

We require photos of: side view, driver's door jam which shows VIN etc, and the VIN taken up close usually at bottom of windshield on driver's side (taken from outside car and blocking sun so it shows up clearly). For a trailer, photos as noted to obtain a cost for nationalizing.

I require a copy of:

1. visa or passport
2. title (front and back)
3. utility bill
4. Mexican driver's license front and back (If local I can help you get one in less than 2 hours) This program is virtual and may be the only one of its type. Therefore Aduana is insisting on seeing a scanned copy of a Mexican driver's license. This is not required at the border as your car is physically inspected and the owner is present.

If need be we can make copies locally when we take the photos.

In addition, I require the amounts due. This can be cash or deposited into a bank account if you reside far away and receipts for these will be issued by me or scanned and emailed to you.

In approximately one month your pedimento, factura and title will arrive in SMA. If you live further away I will courier these to you. Note, I will immediately check on line that the pedimento is legal as there is a web site for doing so. If you can not register your vehicle you will get a full refund.

You then are required to obtain plates and register your vehicle. Locally, this is done at Renta in the Plaza Real del Conde or the appropriate place where you live.

For license plates and registration the process in San Miguel is you require original and copies of your visa, factura, pedimento, title and pay 160 pesos. They will give you a permit allowing you to drive while they ensure documents are legal. Within 2 months the process will be completed and you can obtain your plates and "validacion". If you are local I can assist with this process.

In some states such as San Luis Potosi they will issue you registration and plates same day and they will be for 2 years. You just need a CFE bill in anyone's name in SLP. The cost is typically 1800 to 3000 pesos.

Note: in the state of Queretaro (and maybe DF, Morelos, Puebla and Hidalgo) they will not allow you to register a 2006 or 2007 car even with a pedimento no matter how you obtained it. I believe this is to protect auto dealers although may contravene NAFTA. Those living in Queretaro would go to neighbouring state or some go a little further to San Luis Potosi. In other states you may want to check at your local Renta (auto registering office) to see if it is a problem. In Guanajuato state this is not an issue.

We can not get back the deposit you paid when you entered Mexico nor remove your car from Aduana's records. Doing so requires a trip to the border. Large deposits started in June 2011. If your car entered on an old passport it is may be your vehicle can not be found in Aduana's records. Cars generally are tied to passports. That is why many were able to obtain a car permit prior to ever entering Mexico.

Note: as of July 10 a court order stopped most virtual processes. If you have started nationalizing with S&S Auto or about to do so, check and see if this court ruling has affected them. This may hold true with nationalizing at the airport as well. I simply do not know other than my first sentence.

Fortunately, through UCD, the process continues.

okay again all is way too complicated and overwhelming...I wonder is it even worth living here anymore...goodness.

Let me ask this first can you do this before your FM3 or whatever it is going to change to is permanent...I am FM 3 now number 4 I think and due in December for permanent change...???

okay again all is way too complicated and overwhelming...I wonder is it even worth living here anymore...goodness.

Let me ask this first can you do this before your FM3 or whatever it is going to change to is permanent...I am FM 3 now number 4 I think and due in December for permanent change...???

You can nationalize a car anytime, regardless of your immigration status.

Bezerk it is definitely worth living here and in your case you only have one more visa to get and you are done with Immigration. You can become a Permanent Resident any time between now and December as you are into your 5th year with your FM-3. Congrats!! You can do this on your own or ask Spencer and his great team to ensure no hassles.

Your foreign plated car is legal until you become a Permanent Resident. And, you can nationalize anytime without leaving lakeside. If you email me a scanned copy of your title I can tell you the exact price.

As we told people, the pedimento, title, receipts can take up to a month. The first two are being couriered now from the border and that will be 3 weeks for one and 2 weeks for another.

Ajijic...okay I am at present recovering from surgery but am okay and many dr. appts this week then off on vacation for 2 weeks as of saturday.

I can scan a copy of title to you...later this week...

I have been here almost 15 years, and it has changed a lot, some for the better but this new ruling is a definate bad move for keeping gringos here.

I do also own a Mexican plated car, but the American plated car had low mileage , great maint. and I like it for traveling..and cannot afford a new one..

Maybe it is worth it being here, maybe no, it is not the same and surely seems Mexico is not even considering those who have been here for years..ie: grandfather clauses etc..disgusted...

Maybe I just need time to rest more first..sorry..

Below is an email I received from usuarioweb2@sat.gob.mx after I wrote to them on their web site. Google translated as follows (if anyone wants

Spanish version just let me know). While pedimentos done through UCD without final stamp at 20 km Aduana checkpoint may check out today as

being valid, it could be that someone has circumvented the system only temporarily. Not saying this is definitely the case, but am posting this

SAT response so people can draw their own conclusions and/or write to SAT with their own questions. Name of Mexicali customs broker has not

been posted but would assume that would be the first step to authenticating actual credentials.

In response to your inquiry, we reiterate that in this section we have no information that the General Administration of Customs has an agreement with the Democratic Union Campesina, by the above, we reiterate that any procedure you want to perform in relation to their final Import vehicle, only do it any licensed Customs Broker by the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit.

To ensure that the customs agent you hire to import your vehicle permanently have its

registration

granted

by the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, you must do so through any of the following confederations:

· Confederation of Customs Brokers Associations of Mexico (CAAAREM)

Cell 01 (55) 33 00 75 00 or 51 41 59 45 in Mexico, DF

· Latin American Confederation of Customs Brokers (CLAA)

Cell 01 (55) 57 86 81 90 in the DF or 01 (800) 702 04 22 National Toll

He invites you to visit the website of the General Administration of Customs, where you can find important information on customs and foreign trade in the direction www.aduanas.gob.mx.

Below it is suggested to do it yourself. All nationalizing of vehicles must be done through a broker. One can not it themselves in the literal sense.

This program started 3 weeks ago and the first pedimento is to be here early next week. Three being processed are from Manazanillo. If the pedimento does not come or there is a problem all monies refunded. My wife's notes;

1981 to 2007 NAFTA Made Vehicles

UCD is an association of campesinos who combine efforts to improve conditions and advocating for farmers etc, buy seeds, farming, irrigation, home improvements, making less expensive foreign vehicles legal, government liaison / support for their causes, etc. UCD or similar organizations can be found in most states in Mexico. They also have approval to nationalize cars just as they do in several states including Chihuahua and Oaxaca, etc. and now in Guanajuato. UCD is similar to the farmers' cooperatives in Canada.

I have been working for months with UCD to be able to provide this service. They have asked me to be their sole representative for this area. The head of UCD for Guanajuato state is my contact. In the past he worked for several years in a senior position with Aduana.

UCD has been granted approval by the Governor of Guanajuato state to nationalize vehicles in this manner in cooperation with Aduana. A registered broker is the person who submits all documents to Aduana and it is done at the border. This is the same as other nationalizing processes such as at the Guadalajara airport.

You do not have to leave the place where you live and costs are several thousand pesos less. Once the documents are returned in approximately a month you can register your vehicle anywhere in Mexico.

Note: This is one of the few and maybe the only remaining virtual nationalizing process. This is not a permanent and can end at any time. So far we are hoping it continues to at least November so we can nationalize our 2008 SUV.

The first step is having you send me a scanned copy of your car title. For a trailer I need photos of all 4 sides, photo of serial number, measurements and title, please. In approximately 2 business days you will know the exact cost. The cost will include 100 pesos to ensure your vehicle was not reported stolen in Mexico, Aduana's fee, broker's fee and mine. There will be no surprises. The range is approx 19,000 to 27,000 pesos total for a NAFTA made vehicle. VIN mist start with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and vehicle from 1981 to 2007. We can also nationalize some trailers, often for less than cars. In November this year, 2008 vehicles can be nationalized.

If the vehicle is in a company name you will have to indicate in writing in whose name you want the pedimento, receipt and title. You will write this on the back of the title with the words: "Cedo los derechos de este vehiculo (your printed and signed name). And then ... ATT:(name of company).

The costs I quote includes all fees for nationalizing. If you are not local I pay the courier fees to return pedimento, factura and title to you. The only additional fees you will have are those you pay to the government for the process / costs for your license plates and local registration.

Once we have the cost you will meet me to take photos of your vehicle and submit the documents (or if you are not local please scan and send me the photos). No long distance driving is required. You save on stress, driving to the border, gasoline, tolls, accommodations, meals, finding a reputable broker, vehicle inspection, numerous forms etc.

Requirements

We require photos of: side view, driver's door jam which shows VIN etc, and the VIN taken up close usually at bottom of windshield on driver's side (taken from outside car and blocking sun so it shows up clearly). For a trailer, photos as noted to obtain a cost for nationalizing.

I require a copy of:

1. visa or passport

2. title (front and back)

3. utility bill

4. Mexican driver's license front and back (If local I can help you get one in less than 2 hours) This program is virtual and may be the only one of its type. Therefore Aduana is insisting on seeing a scanned copy of a Mexican driver's license. This is not required at the border as your car is physically inspected and the owner is present.

If need be we can make copies locally when we take the photos.

In addition, I require the amounts due. This can be cash or deposited into a bank account if you reside far away and receipts for these will be issued by me or scanned and emailed to you.

In approximately one month your pedimento, factura and title will arrive in SMA. If you live further away I will courier these to you. Note, I will immediately check on line that the pedimento is legal as there is a web site for doing so. If you can not register your vehicle you will get a full refund.

You then are required to obtain plates and register your vehicle. Locally, this is done at Renta in the Plaza Real del Conde or the appropriate place where you live.

For license plates and registration the process in San Miguel is you require original and copies of your visa, factura, pedimento, title and pay 160 pesos. They will give you a permit allowing you to drive while they ensure documents are legal. Within 2 months the process will be completed and you can obtain your plates and "validacion". If you are local I can assist with this process.

In some states such as San Luis Potosi they will issue you registration and plates same day and they will be for 2 years. You just need a CFE bill in anyone's name in SLP. The cost is typically 1800 to 3000 pesos.

Note: in the state of Queretaro (and maybe DF, Morelos, Puebla and Hidalgo) they will not allow you to register a 2006 or 2007 car even with a pedimento no matter how you obtained it. I believe this is to protect auto dealers although may contravene NAFTA. Those living in Queretaro would go to neighbouring state or some go a little further to San Luis Potosi. In other states you may want to check at your local Renta (auto registering office) to see if it is a problem. In Guanajuato state this is not an issue.

We can not get back the deposit you paid when you entered Mexico nor remove your car from Aduana's records. Doing so requires a trip to the border. Large deposits started in June 2011. If your car entered on an old passport it is may be your vehicle can not be found in Aduana's records. Cars generally are tied to passports. That is why many were able to obtain a car permit prior to ever entering Mexico.

Pedimentos and facturas all check out at Aduana's web site and documents accepted by Renta for registration and plates. Way to go UCD!!!! Way to go Sonia Diaz. Thank you to our registered broker!!!!! Awesome!!!!

Just like at Guadalajara airport and the naysayers said not possible. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who gets the final blue stamps on Pedimento to finalize the process with Aduana? When I stopped at the 20 km checkpoint they wanted to see original car ownership/registration as well as vehicle before sending me to kiosk for stamps. Copy of my docs here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112356734167514171105/CarImportDocuments?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNKd5vej1N_05AE&feat=directlink

Pedimentos and facturas all check out at Aduana's web site and documents accepted by Renta for registration and plates. Way to go UCD!!!! Way to go Sonia Diaz. Thank you to our registered broker!!!!! Awesome!!!!

Just like at Guadalajara airport and the naysayers said not possible. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people need to discover what is an amparo and learn how laws work in Mexico. They also need to learn how to check if a pedimento is valid. A hint is: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Some need to also understand how is it S & S Auto and at the Guadalajara airport and UCD throughout Oaxaca and Chihuahua, etc follow a similar process of not taking vehicles to the border and it is legal and people have titles and plates.

Today another person applying for plates and registration with their legal pedimentos. Several Mexicans in Gunajuato state with "chocolates" now have their pedimentos, factura, Guanajuato registration and plates through UCD.

Some people need to discover what is an amparo and learn how laws work in Mexico. They also need to learn how to check if a pedimento is valid. A hint is: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx

Some need to also understand how is it S & S Auto and at the Guadalajara airport and UCD throughout Oaxaca and Chihuahua, etc follow a similar process of not taking vehicles to the border and it is legal and people have titles and plates.

Today another person applying for plates and registration with their legal pedimentos. Several Mexicans in Gunajuato state with "chocolates" now have their pedimentos, factura, Guanajuato registration and plates through UCD.

Yesterday they opened a small office on a busy blvd. in San Luis Potosi offering to "legalize" vehicles that have Texas plates with the first step protecting the vehicle from tickets and impound with many banners advertising this. They do not state "Nationalize." The initials were CTLP:

http://www.larazonsanluis.com/sitio/nota.php?id=105836

Google Translation:

"Cars "chocolate" remain good option for affordable price

Alex Berrones / San Luis Potosi / July 29, 13 (10:53) / Return to City

Increasingly, Mexican´s choose the idea of ​​getting a car "chocolate", as they are sold in the neighboring country for truly affordable prices, and are also in good condition and recent models with approximate values ​​of $ 5,000 USD, plus paperwork and transportation expenses.

Mexicans have considered these as the best option vehicles for transportation, because there is no complaints from users regarding their mechanism and body is concerned, only on the condition of not traveling on the Mexican border, this Friday will be published in the Official Journal of the Federation's new probate costs, since there was a 300% rated the highest in history, forgetting the Mexican economy.

Peasants and Workers Organization Fighting for Your Heritage CTLP agro. and crafts called authorities to consider increasing that free trade treaty, consider and carry out that this social problem has good terms, as it is the only means of transporting union members of this organization to have for their daily life and who are as a citizen, attached to the law and pay their taxes.

The president of CTLP, Licenciada Elizabeth Gomez, calls on the authorities not to exaggerate [charge more] the increase to new probate costs, the problem will continue until the borders stops refusing passage of cars from USA.

It should be mentioned that the cost of a car or truck "gringa" is approximately $ 5,000 USD Ford brand 2005, we add the costs of customs, 5000 pesos and every federal review stops the driver to drive are given 500 pesos, that is, coming off the unit to the user in 72 000 pesos, with all transportation expenses.

Definitely people look the best options for their heritage, as they are cars that include all the famous "B"s: [bueno, Bonito Y Barrato] Good, nice and cheap. The state of San Luis Potosi has about 80 to 95 thousand cars in these conditions."

"Chocolates" are being dealt with in several states of Mexico and if you don´t know about these things it is best left alone as many living here in San Luis Potosi are up to the challenge of reading the newspapers and watching the local news daily and are tired of Expats delivering lectures about things they know nothing about. CFE, IMSS, DIF, Seguro Popular, and any number of things that they talk about with very little knowledge, only usually "put downs" of Mexico and it´s way of doing business. IMO

If you have something to say, research it first instead of simply stating what your have heard from others or read someone else's misinformation on an Expat web board and are passing it along as somehow being factual, please.

There's something about ex-pat retirees driving around with campesino plates that doesn't seem right,IMO.

I wonder if you understand what this thread is about. it is nationalizing vehicles by paying Aduana, a certified broker, going with pedimento and factura etc to local Renta office to get registration and plates. It so happens the amparo was obtained by UCD an organization with hundreds of thousands of members.

All documents issued by Aduana, yes blue stamp etc.

Today the man who works at Renta (car registration office) while processing documents for registration (another expat whom my wife assisted) asked my wife to nationalize his car through the same method. And, the documents including pedimento and factura were approved at the local police station and a letter issued allowing the expat car to be driven for a month awaiting plates and registration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived