Chapala.com Webboard

Going Permanente...started at Migracion today

Floradude

I am going Permanente and doing it myself. Here is my experience to date:

Today I went to the immigration office in Chapala with three folders of of all my paperwork, forms, etc. and was out of the office in less than 10 minutes. I walked into the immigration office which was full of people. There were two immigration officials who I did not recognize from the previous year. I know the lady speaks English because she helped me find the correct book and page to sign my name. This year there are multiple books so you will need help.

I sat down, got my book out, and said a few words to the man on my right and my name was called. It was the second person behind the counter, a man who looks to be 100% American (or gringo). I am sure he speaks English but I only spoke Spanish to him. I got to the counter and told him I wanted to change to permanente. I told him I had lived only in Mexico for 10 years. I told him I have had 9 FM3's and 1 Inmigrante visas. I told him I bought my house in 2004 and I owned a Mexican car. I gave him the stack of papers my passport and visa card. He went through everything and asked for proof of address: I gave him my latest original, plus copy, of my electric bill and I also gave him a copy of my tax (house) bill. He seemed happy to get that.

That was it. There was no mention of financials (after I had copied 12 months of bank statements I was almost disappointed). He gave me the receipt for my visa and told me to check their website after 10 days and come back to this office.

I was out in less than 10 minutes. Now comes the hard part waiting and hoping.

Interesting, especially about new staff at the office. But what was the prórroga number on the back of the visa you surrendered? The number of times it had been extended? It's a little unclear from what you wrote.

Mucha suerte.

Interesting, especially about new staff at the office. But what was the prórroga number on the back of the visa you surrendered? The number of times it had been extended? It's a little unclear from what you wrote.

Mucha suerte.

The staff in the office are the same, the gringo looking one comes and goes, the other larger one is still "around"..The officer manager Jaquin? is still there and very helpful as needed

Haven't you left out a few steps in this procedure,Floradude? Did you not start your application on the web? I am interested as I am due to start mine within the month. I sure hope it is as easy as you mnake it sound.

nteresting, especially about new staff at the office. But what was the prórroga number on the back of the visa you surrendered? The number of times it had been extended? It's a little unclear from what you wrote.

There was no number on the back. Remember I said I had had 9 FM3's and 1 Inmigrante.

I have always used the lady in the papeleria in Chapala to prepare my paperwork. I gave her some items in Spanish that I wanted included in my letter.

I believe I was not asked for financials because: 1. I have lived in Mexico full time for 10 years. 2. I was not FM3 but a "full time resident of Mexico"....stated in English on the card.....Inmigrante. 3. It did not hurt that I was able to tell him in Spanish the reasons I wanted to go permanente.

Easy so far, yes.....let's see what happens now. I have always believed over the years that the process does go faster, most of the time, if you do it yourself.

Inmigrante or inmigrado? Two different things, as I am sure you know. If I recall correctly, under the old rules, the FM-3 was no-inmigrante, and the inmigrante meant that you had an FM-2. Inmigrado was approximately the equal of the new Residente Permanente.

And as I understand it, you have lived in Mexico for 10 years--which means that with timely renewals, you have had two FM-3 visas, with 4 prórrogas each. And then? What I don't understand is the 'inmigrante' business that you mention--unless you had acquired an FM-2.

Inmigrante is correct. It is the new visa card than replaced the FM2. We also have had multiple FM3 booklets, then changed to a No-Inmigrante card two years ago, then an Inmigrante card last year. This year, we are changing to Residente Permanente, which replaces the old Inmigrado status.

Thank you RVGRINGO.

While I am back here I do not do my own documents from the internet. I have done single documents twice, but it is not worth the time and aggravation to do it myself when I am renewing, or in this case change the type of visa.

The lady in Chapala charges $100 pesos and has everything you need back to you the next day. As far as I am concerned it is money well spent.

In years past, we have also used Marie Elena to prepare our paperwork on some occasions. On others, we have done it ourselves. Now that I have limited sight and mobility, I am using Spencer and Denise for this last visa.

You could not have had 9 FM3s, that would be 45 years! Do you mean 1 FM3 which was renewed 4 times (total of 5 years) then a second FM3, also renewed 4 times (another 5 years)?

As someone else asked, did you then get an Inmigrante card (the old FM2)? If so, I am very surprised you were allowed to go directly to permanente without presenting financials.

It has been made abundantly clear by at least the Nayarit and Puerto Vallarta offices of INM, that you must have a non-inmigrante (old FM3) or inmigrante (old FM2) with prorroga # of 3 or 4 on the back to proceed to permanente without resenting financials.

There are many people who have lived in Mexico at least as long as you have, have had multiple FM3s and then FM2 (later called inmigrante), speak Spanish extremely well, and have still been told they must have that magic number of 3 or 4 on the back.

But, as with many things, quien sabe?

This is what is what should be allowed.

At the end of the four years total (a combination of FM-3 (non-inmigrante) and FM-2 (inmigrante) or all FM-2 or all FM-3 with exceptions noted), you may then request a change to Permanent Resident visa based on four years residency and not have to prove income. You can not have a break in service meaning a visa expired; all renewals must have been done on time; if the word "PERMANENCIA" on the Immigration computer system comes up as in reference to when one reached five years on a past FM-2/3 and renewed they will count all past visa time towards a Permanent Resident visa. If the word "Regularization"(meaning you reached 5 years and started over) they only count time since the regularization plus time on current visas towards Permanent Resident. No proof of income required.

And as others noted no process starts now without going on line and completing the required form and obtaining your NUT number.

So, I had an FM3 for 5 years total. At that point, I had to either get another FM3 or an FM2 . We opted for the FM2, but there was no gap in the visas.

Since then we've renewed 2 times. My understanding was we have to renew one more time (as temporary) then next year we go to permanent.

I would prefer to go to permanent status this year. Is that possible?

I would prefer to go to permanent status this year. Is that possible?

Yes. If you show financials. (Or, if your particular INM office allows you to combine uninterrupted time on previous visas. They don't allow you to combine time here, or at least, they haven't in the past.)

I wouldn't use the process for showing financials if I could avoid it. Not worth the hassle.

Pretty much the only ones having Permanente problems here are the ones providing financials. The rest only have to submit a minimal amount of documentation and the process is pretty much rubber stamp.

I learned this lesson the hard way. And, as it turned out, for absolutely nothing. I started early because I got sucked into the Tio Corp car legalization scam (but didn't give them any money, thank goodness) which required me to apply a couple months early.

I wouldn't use the process for showing financials if I could avoid it. Not worth the hassle.

I would. It was worth the hassle in my case.

I know you're stuck in Visa purgatory Mainecoons, and you have my sympathy, but not everybody has had the problems that you and others are experiencing. You're definitely one of the people who drew the short straw, and that sucks.

I applied with financials on April 4 (in Guadalajara), was fingerprinted in mid-May, and had my Permanente in hand early/mid June.

And yes, I feel lucky.

I would. It was worth the hassle in my case.

I know you're stuck in Visa purgatory Mainecoons, and you have my sympathy, but not everybody has had the problems that you and others are experiencing. You're definitely one of the people who drew the short straw, and that sucks.

I applied with financials on April 4 (in Guadalajara), was fingerprinted in mid-May, and had my Permanente in hand early/mid June.

And yes, I feel lucky.

I think the key here is that you applied in GDL. Unfortunately, myself and apparently a fairly substantial number of others who applied or whose facilitators applied for them in Chapala, are the ones stuck in the system.

Glad you avoided this.

I think the key here is that you applied in GDL. Unfortunately, myself and apparently a fairly substantial number of others who applied or whose facilitators applied for them in Chapala, are the ones stuck in the system.

Glad you avoided this.

I think you're correct. Our facilitator didn't give us a choice. We went through Guadalajara and without a problem. We started in early April and received our permanentes in early June. I'm sorry that you are stuck in the process.

We just checked the INM website and our Residente Permanente cards are ready for us to pick up in Guadalajara. HOORAY !!!!

Total time: May 28 to July 15, about six weeks and two days.

We just checked the INM website and our Residente Permanente cards are ready for us to pick up in Guadalajara. HOORAY !!!!

Total time: May 28 to July 15, about six weeks and two days.

Congrates to you and your wife. I suspect some stress will go away once you have them in your hands. All worked out well in the end. Alan

So very true!

As a matter of curiosity, I have a friend processing in Chapala who is one step ahead of another who started in Guadalajara within one working day. Their comparative progress will be interesting to watch. Both were pre-approved by a consulate in the USA.

Archived