Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing Stuff Down - via Air or via Car

DT22

FWIW, we had the same concerns when we spent time in Lakeside a few years ago. Our dog has allergies to preservatives, so he was used to preservative free dog food. And he's a picky eater.

Knowing there was a Costco in GDL, and after reading about the fairly high quality of Costco dog foods, we tried him on some before we went SOB. Quite honestly, Riley liked the taste of this food better than any other we've ever used, and has done well on it. And we never switched back to the more expensive, premium food that we would never have been able to buy in Mexico anyway.

There is no premium dog food available in Mexico that compares to all the great brands found NOB. I have finally settled on Costco Lamb & Rice as thew least allergic food for my problem dog and acceptable for the other two. It also has the least junk fillers. Unfortunately too many people are misled into thinking food like Beniful is premium because they advertise on the TV. ICK!

Not true

most good Vets in GDL sell the same brands of premium food you buy at Vets in the US my vet carries at least 4 different varieties- one of which my former Canadian neighbor bought for her 2 dogs as it was the same she used in Canada

My ex was a vet, he carried one thing but we fed our own animals something different. Most vets in the USA do not carry the best foods because people watch advertising and want what they see on TV. Most vets carry Science Diet and Purina products. I do not consider any food with grains or by-products to be an extremely high quality food. However, some of the purina products are medical food for dogs and cats with kidney damage and such and are necessary for the health of the dog.

If your dog does well on a certain dog food then by all means continue feeding it. While I personally don't care for Purina products because of the grain and by-products, many dogs do great on Purina and one thing going for it is that they have some of the best research out there on the food and you know your dogs are getting a complete and well balanced diet.

Royal Canin has the least fillers and junk of any dog food available here, and has the price to show for it. They make special formulations for small, medium, large and giant breeds, weight control, intestinal formulations and others.

There are dozens of brands in Canada and I guess the US that are healthy, use venison, wild salmon, no fillers, no soy or corn and none of those are available here.

Archived