Chapala.com Webboard

Parking meter "maids"

I've never seen the folks who check your car for parking stubs, until yesterday. For some reason, the block before the lights at the main intersection in Chapala was crawling with them. I didn't realize they don't wear a uniform, as such. The carry a couple of electronic gadgets hanging from their necks, and a clipboard.

I watched them all move back and forth up the same side of the street while I walked across to the meter to get my ticket. They gave me plenty of time, without tacitly acknowledging my presence. (Sadly for me, I only had a five-peso piece, so I bought a lot of time and was gone in two minutes... but I was tempted to go shopping just to take advantage!)

My wife and I went to Chapala about two weeks ago. My wife decided to stay in the car, while I walked about 100 feet to purchase the parking ticket. As soon as I left, there was a girl right at my car starting to write a ticket! Wife was polite, but made it clear that I was buying the parking ticket as she spoke. I guess if you are alone, your chances of getting a parking ticket are pretty high.

Many people complain of being stalked by the guys writing the tickets, plus the lack of uniforms, makes it annoying for some people.

A Dr. on the Avenida told me they even hide an write the ticket right after you leave your car.

Archived