Chapala.com Webboard

maybe just buy another kindle?

i had a problem with my kindle 2 - and Amazon said they would replace it - (I was in the states) - so they offered to give me a discounted paperwhite. Well, that discounted paperwhite was a discounted refurbished paperwhite - which I absolutely do not like. So one option is to contact them and complain about the bug - and they may offer to replace it with a discounted refurbished whatever. They are small enough that someone could bring down. But then you need to return the older one - and they provide the shipping label - so that needs to be ferried back to the states.

Which is why I suggest that it might just be easier to buy another one - and have someone bring down -

yes, i've already contacted Amazon - and already bought 2 used ones to come down. thought it would be worth getting the other repaired... it is out of warrenty...... Amazon is not selling this model currently... i've used several different kindle models and taught others how.... it is the one i prefer.

try bennies near brunos restaurant. a kindle doesnt have bugs or viruses its normally a corrupt file. you can do factory reset

but you will loose your books so make a copy on your pc, but the corrupt file will still be there , make sure all your files are suitable for kindle, and not in epub format. or a soft reset holding the slider toggle to on position for thirty seconds.

i had a problem with mine last year and spoke with amazon help desk who were really great.

Mine was out off warranty too........ as long as they feel that it is their problem - and my problem was a known bug - they should offer a discount. in my case, the screen 1/2 froze - and it was a known bug. But then again - they will provide a replacement of probably a factory refurbished.

Yes, many older Kindles had the freezing-screen problem. If a factory reset didn't do it, nothing would. Curious, though: why don't you like the Paperwhite? I found it to be so much better in every way: brighter, sharper, more contrast, lighter weight, better interface. In fact, outside of the Kobo Aura, the best e-reader going.

Yes, many older Kindles had the freezing-screen problem. If a factory reset didn't do it, nothing would. Curious, though: why don't you like the Paperwhite? I found it to be so much better in every way: brighter, sharper, more contrast, lighter weight, better interface. In fact, outside of the Kobo Aura, the best e-reader going.

I do like the screen quality - it is the touch screen that makes me want to throw it in the lake. I feel like I am dealing with first generation technology - as sometimes it works and many times it doesn't. I read the new york times, which needs a click (if that is the right term) on the bottom far right to page forward in each section of the paper- and that works fine for the first page but rarely the last page. So it needs to be done over and over and over. And in other cases, sometimes the click works precisely as it should - and other times it may forward me to a new section, or send me back to one or two previous sections. And note - I am clicking the page forward and it is sending me back. Perhaps it is a design problem - but they should have worked that out with their customer (ny times) - and not let them include a page forward at that location - which is very very close to the edge of the physical screen.

Books seems like less of a problem - you are either going forward or backwards. Last night I tried to find a book - I am guessing 20 to 30 clicks - sometimes putting me in neverland. Maybe this is a bug - it is a refurbished model. But I much prefer my kindle 2 - even at the expense of screen quality.

That's very interesting. I never read papers on the things; too small (I do read magazines on my Nexus 7; still too small, but designed for touch). I wonder if I can get a sample NYTimes to see what you have to go through... .

I agree that the interface on all ereaders leaves a lot to be desired. In particular, they weren't designed for "real" touch, but more importantly, they are just plain dumb. I love the way they advertise you can get 3,000 books on a Kindle... can you imagine trying to find one of those books in that mess, based on how they list them? At least the Paperwhite has a graphical interface for the library.

The Kobos have a much better interface, and the home page shows not only what you are reading, and the percentage read, but what you have recently opened, what you've finished, and other things. And you can actually mark books as complete, and even delete them right there when done.

i hate having to continue to swipe page after page reading a book. the tabs on side allow one handed reading. one hand tired, switch hands... since tabs on boths sides. also very light weight

i read mainly outside - i find the fire is like looking in a mirror - headache.

the paperwhite would be ok, if i didn't have to swipe page after page

I can dig it. Getting rid of the physical buttons was dumb. Even my Kobo Aura has no buttons. You can, however, set different areas on the page to touch (top, middle, bottom) to coincide with where your thumb typically rests. So I just reach over a little further. My Nook has buttons, but they are far too hard to push. I guess others would complain if they were too easy, because of accidental page turns. But I don't think the Paperwhite makes you swipe either, just touch. I will check with a friend who has one.

My Kindle just permanently malfunctioned this week! I have had it for 2 years, and it served me well. The screen froze, and no re-booting would budge it. I am getting a refurbished one for $49.00 and that has a 1 year warranty. I am reading at night in bed with a retro thing. It is large and heavy and awkward, and made of paper. I miss my Kindle.

Archived