Chapala.com Webboard

CONSUMER PROTECTION OFFICE IN GUAD

In March of this year I purchased a room of rustico furniture at Mueblos Rusticos Guerrero on Calle Juarez in Tonala. I took a translator with me and showed the sales person exactly what I wanted. I picked the wood out and the wood and glass cabinet and then did a very foolish thing; I paid in full for the merchandise. I know, I know!

The products arrived much later than promised but that was no problem. The owner delivered the furniture and it was in a cheaper, soft wood (NOT what I ordered) and the three tables had holes in their centers without the glass in them. The owner tried to tell me that the glass inserts were separate and I would have to pay 200 pesos for each insert. I was very upset and finally he agreed to include the glass inserts in the original cost. I didn't fight the wood switch nor did I fight the wood and glass cabinet (cheap wood and no glass sides). The back pillows of the furniture were wrong and I did fight that. He remained adamant that he wouldn't resolve that. He refused phone calls. I went to PROFECO (Federal consumer protection agency) in Guadalajara with a denuncia and they were wonderful. I took Anthony Ramirez of Chapala as a witness (he was there when I bought the products and translated) and he is fluent in Spanish and English. The guy was fined 36,000 pesos unless he made good on the products. At the hearing he even asked the arbitrator if the arbitrator could "do something" to help him with the fines! He had until 25 June to make me happy and we both had to sign every page of the agreement. When he failed to honor his part of the agreement I had to go down with a letter in Spanish stating that he did not fulfill the terms. PROFECO employees were very kind and helpful to me and were visibly angry with him when they saw pictures of the pillows and his switched wood. He is stuck with the fine and it will be collected by the government. I'd use them again though you do have to have all of the paperwork and it takes time.

Archived