Chapala.com Webboard

dialing a USA #, in USA from a Mex cel phone?

If you purchase a USA calling or texting plan from Telcel before you go to the States, it is less costly than simply making calls. However, 'less costly' does not equal 'cheap'.

As the other poster said, even though you and your phone are in the States, your phone thinks you are still calling from Mexico. Telcel's charges will break your bank. Don't ask me how I know this.

I keep my old US cell phone number active by buying pay as you go minutes like I do in Mexico, however it's 1000 min for $100 good for a year and in my case, these minutes last about 10 months and will cover at least 2 or 3 two week trips up north. I believe all carriers have to offer this type of plan but you'll only find out about it on the phone...it's well hidden online and the store folks will deny there is such a plan as they don't sell it because they only want to sign you up for a contract. Even though it's 10¢ a minute, I don't worry about the per minute cost and just talk as much as I like as I know I'll likely need to refresh the account before they'd expire...and if not, they roll over just like here when you buy more before the expiry date. You can buy them online if they expire when you're not located NOB. It works out to about $10 a month to keep the number active, so well worth it, roughly the amount I put on my Mexican cell phone monthly, especially if I wait until the double minutes offer text message comes.

I bought a iPhone 4GS from Apple a few months ago when I was in the States for $149 (price of a battery). Went to the AT&T store and asked about getting them to unlock it. The young woman I was talking to was Asian and told me to go see her cousin at his cell phone store. She called him for me, we brought it in and it cost $30 to unlock. I felt like I was,in Mexico!!! The AT&T store then sold me 1000 minutes for $100. When I got back to Mexico I put the SIM card from my cheap Tel cel in the iPhone and was go to go. So now I just change out SIM cards when I am on the plane.

Thanks for all of the info, but when I get off the plane , I need to make a call

So I state my questions again & please no cost issues

I have Telcel Amigo and use roaming in the states for short important calls, like letting someone know I've landed. Simply dial the number you want, with the area code. For instance I fly often to Denver and SF, simply dial the whole number with the area code, whether to a cell or to a landlne.

I keep my old US cell phone number active by buying pay as you go minutes like I do in Mexico, however it's 1000 min for $100 good for a year and in my case, these minutes last about 10 months and will cover at least 2 or 3 two week trips up north. I believe all carriers have to offer this type of plan but you'll only find out about it on the phone...it's well hidden online and the store folks will deny there is such a plan as they don't sell it because they only want to sign you up for a contract. Even though it's 10¢ a minute, I don't worry about the per minute cost and just talk as much as I like as I know I'll likely need to refresh the account before they'd expire...and if not, they roll over just like here when you buy more before the expiry date. You can buy them online if they expire when you're not located NOB. It works out to about $10 a month to keep the number active, so well worth it, roughly the amount I put on my Mexican cell phone monthly, especially if I wait until the double minutes offer text message comes.

Brilliant!

Thanks for all of the info, but when I get off the plane , I need to make a call

So I state my questions again & please no cost issues

I have Telcel also, when you turn on your phone it automatically converts to AT&T- at least in California

Archived