Chapala.com Webboard

Loud Pounding Music all night!

pera

Not my style of music, but how many times does one graduate from High School? Much more so, Mexican kids?

Your folks probably didn't like your music. I don't like this generation's amplified music.

But, I am proud of them for graduating and think they should be allowed to celebrate in their own fashion.

Most of you have already lived a full life and it isn't always easy. But, it should have made you tough enough to handle it for one weekend.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We live near an evento and next to a weekend party house and the noise has driven us crazy for years. I walk around with my ipod and noise-cancelling headphones in my own home as a matter of course, for hours at a time, over the weekends; it's the only way I can have any respite from it. I have repeatedly complained to the police about it as have Mexican friends and neighbors, with of course nothing done. Between the neighbors and the legal, permitted parties at the evento, we often have incessant "music" pounding so hard it vibrates our windows from Thursday afternoon through Sunday.

Our issues about amplified noise all over town are not only ours, they are Mexicans' as well. I have Mexican friends who also profess to hate it; they are just as sleep-deprived from these insane late-night or all-night parties, as we are. Somehow, some way, the noise issue should seriously be addressed by all of us living here. The tradition of all-night fiestas developed mostly on rural ranchos, long before there were amplifiers and speakers the size of refrigerators that could keep a whole town awake and on edge. But this is the 21st century and the reality of what this technology can produce in the way of sheer decibel power in a densely populated area needs to be dealt with.

I know of two people who sold their houses and packed up and went back to the States, not because of crime or anything like that, but specifically because they couldn't handle the racket any longer. There is no way anyone should be issued a 24-hour permit for any sort of party with amplified music in this day and age. We aren't living in an agricultural area any more where Saturday nights people can stay up all night partying - and in the old days the music wasn't amplified - because they will recover from it on Sunday. People work here on Sundays now (Wal-Mart, Soriana, a zillion other places) and the lack of consideration of people who need to get some sleep - let alone babies, elderly, ill people, whatever, is not just an "expat" problem, at least IMHO.

If anyone gets serious about organizing a complaint for the municipality or urging them to revise some of the policies about this, PM me; I'd be happy to get on board; it has certainly been a huge problem for us.

Sounds like Banda. Yup, 10-20 member playing loud percussion instruments, incorporating various Mexican genres. The singers seem to scream out something now and then. It's too loud for me, and I find if I'm a distance away from it it gets worse, because some instruments carry and other harmonies get lost in the distance so you end up with this pounding/driving beat.

Got the story on this, this morning. Apparently our "friend" the Presidente of Chapala gave them permission to make music all night at the west soccer field without giving Hector any warning A number of people called the police and when they went there, they were shown the permission by the organizers of this event.

Hector, as you know, has been lighting a fire under Huerta for the very little return that Ajijic gets from Chapala for its taxes and fees. He's been demanding and getting some of the services that are supposed to be provided here as a matter of course. It has been suggested that this rather unusual permission was given as a reprisal by Huerta against Hector. I agree with Harry-this was a direct insult to the people of Ajijic.

Also, a local group of neighbors, Mexican and expat, have hauled Chapala into court over the illegal three floor additions they have been permitting. PM me if you want more information on that. I'd suspect that also didn't endear our community to our Presidente.

We've lived here 5 years and there has never been permitted a major all night event on public grounds since we've lived here.

this is more difficult than a loud bar. you never know when or where this noise will come. aquaponticman: if i was affected i wouldnt care what the occassion was. remember there are birthdays, engagements, many reasons for parties. being "proud" is kind of weird, you dont even know these people, why the pat on the back? no need to patronize, they dont seem to care much for you. callejeras: incessent "meetings" just take up your time. IF you are going to live in an UN regulated neighborhood, this is what you get. what makes you think hector has the power to over ride? i doute most of these parties have "permits" there was one for 48 hours straight on a really nice block lakeside, mothers day weekend. (ps just read MCs post, hector cannot help).

It woke me up at 5 or 6 this morning and we're allllllllllllllllllllll the way over on the other side of Ajijic. That was pretty bad. Must have been horrible for folks close to it.

That beat sounded like electronica to me. Which. Is. The. Worst.

So American (even if some of you are nominally Canadian): If my comfort is disturbed, there oughta be a law agin it....and, a regulation....and, so on and so forth.....and, oh, god forbid that Mexico should be Mexico.

Good for you - that is concise.

Welcome to a foreign culture, if you don't like it or can't tolerate it, why are y'all still here?

You want the USA way or the Canadian way, you have a choice. This is not (to you Anglos) your country, this is not your way of life, you are a, yes paying, guest here...and as such it has it's customs and traditions.

The bypass of Hector is outrageous. But, take a day-long vacay from your home, take the day to explore away from here and tomorrow it will all be "back to normal". Unless, of course, Anglos have fireworks for Canada Day and the Fourth of July which will also cause a disturbance that the locals will find outrageous...but that will be OK because it is Canadians and USAers are doing it?

Yes, again, please note that the part about the event being given specific permission by Huerta to play all night comes from a very well placed source.

Hector got up and went over there and tried to put a stop to it. You can't fault him for this.

Reprisal against Hector? Harassment for being sued? You'll have to draw your own conclusions on that.

My husband spoke to Hector this morning. Apparently this is a "Rave" and will be going on until six pm tonight. It is not a graduation celebration. Those buses are from Guad. Hector said he did not know about this before they started setting up yesterday and the permit was signed by the mayor of Chapala. My husband walked down to the bottom of Flores Magon where it is being held. He said. The soccor field is roped off and the place is packed. There is a fee to enter. Despit a few portapotties, he said people were peeing on the ground and our nice soccor field where local boys play on Sundays is all churned up. Just as the locals were getting the grass to grow.

The Mayor of Chapala would never have allowed this in Chapala. A disgrace.

Good for you - that is concise.

Welcome to a foreign culture, if you don't like it or can't tolerate it, why are y'all still here?

You want the USA way or the Canadian way, you have a choice. This is not (to you Anglos) your country, this is not your way of life, you are a, yes paying, guest here...and as such it has it's customs and traditions.

The bypass of Hector is outrageous. But, take a day-long vacay from your home, take the day to explore away from here and tomorrow it will all be "back to normal". Unless, of course, Anglos have fireworks for Canada Day and the Fourth of July which will also cause a disturbance that the locals will find outrageous...but that will be OK because it is Canadians and USAers are doing it?

Respectfully, you haven't been here long enough to conclude that this is SOP for our "foreign culture."

The Anglos do not fire off fireworks all night long. Pretty silly "what if" IMO.

Hector, as usual, is caring and doing his job; however, I respectfully submit that Bwhite1948 has a point -- read her post. Better the graduates be in a controlled environment and party all weekend then dead on the highways and byways...IMHO

It's great that the community wants its grads and their friends to have a good time while keeping them off the highways driving drunk. But for a whole 24 hours (and more) of nonstop loud music, driving the rest of the community nuts and wide awake all night? Come on, even teenagers have to--or shoud--go to bed sometime, no? Why can't the city goverment exercise some simple good sense before issueing a permit that allows one group to have a good time while making the rest of the community miserable and sleepless? Really dumb.

Lexy

Let's look at the facts!

A big Band costs a lot of money. Anyone spending that kind of money has a lot of money to spread around to others ...

And when money can/does change hands it buys things/permission/protection/favors/blind eye to the Laws/etc..

The Mexicans are aware of this and tolerate the facts......

Complaining to City Hall will get you nowhere, the money is already in the pockets !!1

Anybody remember the goings on back in the States during graduations? The all night neighborhood parties when the folks were not around? Maybe we should, and just remember that most of us are "jubilados" and can sleep in all day after it's over. BTW, I live in Ajijic Centro, so we got the benefit.

If we've forgotten how it is to be young...........oh, let's don't go there :010:

ajijic cento is a party town, not a historic village. if the mayor said "ajijic alive" this is what he means. it its out of your hands, out of hectors hands. this has been going on for years, nothing new. if it bothers you, try to move. if it doesnt, dont rationalize.

Let's look at the facts!

A big Band costs a lot of money. Anyone spending that kind of money has a lot of money to spread around to others ...

And when money can/does change hands it buys things/permission/protection/favors/blind eye to the Laws/etc..

The Mexicans are aware of this and tolerate the facts......

Complaining to City Hall will get you nowhere, the money is already in the pockets !!1

Yup, that's what I think, too. This wasn't a let's-be-kind-to-our-grads on their special night. I mean, how many grads do we have at Lakeside at any given time?

This sound like a 24-hour rave to me and money changed hands to permit it. Who cares what the community--Mexican and expat--thinks or suffers? (There ought to be a law! Oops, there probably is.)

Lexy

So American (even if some of you are nominally Canadian): If my comfort is disturbed, there oughta be a law agin it....and, a regulation....and, so on and so forth.....and, oh, god forbid that Mexico should be Mexico.

Excellent quote

What a bunch of ninnies,,,,,I have to admit,,,,I hate Banda music. However, I love Cumbia, Mariachi, Soul and Rap music.

Hell, If I have to hear the dogs (day and night) that are owned by ,,,,who else Americans/Candians,,,,,then YES,,,you are going to hear my music as much as your dumb dogs bark (LOL) :o

What is that famous American saying ,,,,Love it or leave it

Respectfully, you haven't been here long enough to conclude that this is SOP for our "foreign culture."

The Anglos do not fire off fireworks all night long. Pretty silly "what if" IMO.

...and I agree with you, MC.

It is just that it annoys me that there are so many complainers and finger pointers and apparently so few "doers" or people who deal in facts.

I think I'll stick to lurking here for a while, because it is difficult to repeatedly put into words on a keyboard how I feel. I seem to put my foot in my mouth inadvertently. It appears that there are very few involved Anglos working very hard to make this community everything it can be, even to improve it, and so many people more (apparently) for whom the keyboard is the extent of their involvement.

Hector did not approve the permit. Our fearless leaders in Chapala issued it without telling Hector. He is not to blame.

Folks don't blame Hector (Ajijic elected leader for the uninformed)

I would pay attention to this issue as your help may be needed to let certain folks know how unhappy many of us are and this includes Mexicans and Gringoes. So save up the energy please for something more useful OK?

Archived