Chapala.com Webboard

Couple Robbed by State Police on Way Back to USA

CWB

I KNOW OF A SIMILAR INCIDENT WHERE THE PERSON WAS STOPPED BY NON FEDERALE POLICE, HE HAD THE FEDERALES EMERGENCY NUMBER AND DIALED IT WHILE TELLING THE POLICE WHO HE WAS CALLING...THE POLICE

LEFT IN A HURRY. THATS BECAUSE FEDERAL POLICE CAN ARREST STATE OR MUNICIPAL POLICE. THEY SHOULD SAVE

ANYONE BEING ROBBED, BECAUSE IF THEY DO NOT, MEXICO IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES AS BOTH A TOURIST AND

RETIREE DESTINATION. USE LOGIC.

We were robbed by local cops near Tapachula, Chiapas after an accident in which we were temporarily incapacitated and reported that robbery to the federal cops who supposedly came to our rescue later out of the presence of the local cops and their response was, yeah, they always rob accident victims, detainees and just about everyone else and we know it but can´t do anything about it. Then, the federal cops proceeded to steal what money we had left (after visitinfg an ATM) demanding that money on the premise that if we did not hand it over they would leave us on that deserted road in the middle of nowhere in the mifddle of the night to fend for ourselves. We paid them. You do not ever wish to walk a country road on the Chiapas/Guatemala border at 2:00AM - ever.

Sounds like real police to me, they are the only ones who would pull something like that for such small money.

May be better if folks leaving for NOB could start arranging small convoys.Convoy or not, If this happens, dial up a friend on

a cell phone as soon as you see you are going to be stopped, read plate numbers of the police or fake police veheciles to

your friend over the phone. This incident sounds like real police to me, real criminals could not gas up thier trucks with such

small amounts of money.

I like your idea on the convoys. People in Phoenix were trying to set up convoys for those coming south last year. The convoy concept is a good idea. My husband has major health issues and as the driver I would feel better in a convoy. The idea is worth exploring.

I like your idea on the convoys. People in Phoenix were trying to set up convoys for those coming south last year. The convoy concept is a good idea. My husband has major health issues and as the driver I would feel better in a convoy. The idea is worth exploring.

SENT YOU A P M

bennie is correct, this is not new and has been and will continue to happen more often. These "police" ,real or wantabee, do not care if Mexico goes down the tubes, or tourists stop coming, because they also have the "real" Mexican citizens to prey upon.When you report this crime, the excuse is always "fake police with fake cars". This has been used repeatedly by police to CTA. And, people here were taking donations just a few weeks ago to help these types of people, Get used to it, this is Mexico, always has been and always will be, You and I (after 10 years I gave up and you should too) will NEVER change Mexico. Live with it, beat your head against the wall, fly everywhere, or move NOB. Forget the complaining, you waste your time and your life.

I do not recall complaining, simply looking for a solution to a problem that as you say, will probably continue.

Googled and found the following emergency telephone numbers. Don't know if they are all accurate or in service, as of today:

Policía del Estado de Jalisco
Policía Federal de Caminos *Guadalajara:
Lázaro Cárdenas No. 4040
Policía Federal de Caminos *Zapopan
Policía Judicial de Jalisco
Calzada Independencia No. 778
Policía Judicial Federal
Av. Chapultepec No. 300
Policía Municipal de Tonalá
Policía Municipal de Guadalajara
Periférico Nte. No. 3229 Col Sta. Cecilia
Policía Municipal de Tlaquepaque
Policía Municipal de Zapopan

hookemhorns, nothing will change on either side. convoys, & the cops robbers game, good guys bad guys....seem to be accepted by many expats. its a 2 way dance, 2 cultures doing the mambo. expats/tourists: just dont play the "victim" card, if you already know this info. ofcause mexican get robbed as well. most middleclass do not drive around these roads, same w/the rich & upperclass. my mex friend wont even drive back to guad from ajijic after dark. believe me the robbers dont profile, they do what they do. a wallet is a wallet. IMO, donating money police to the is a posposerous concept. go figure.

It might be difficult to phone and talk to the police when you have been stopped if you don't speak Spanish. I carry several lawyers numbers with me and if I'm stopped I will phone them and tell then where I am so they can phone the right police for assistance.

cedros, you are one of the people who will continue to drive on these roads. thats your choice, just remember to take full responsibility for whatever comes down that pike.

cedros, you are one of the people who will continue to drive on these roads. thats your choice, just remember to take full responsibility for whatever comes down that pike.

I've never driven on that road and probably never will but there are many other roads.

It's not like it's happening on a daily basis, I've driven the road many many times since the day it opened and no problem, but obviously others have had a problem.

Actually, it you compare the # of breakins at Lakeside - to the number of robberies on this road - you fill probably find that the chance that you will have a break in or break in attempt is HIGHER than the chance that you will be stopped and robbed of obvious cash on this specific road..

So far the reports over the years seem to be - they took all the obvious cash - note - they did not frisk.

So yes, be concerned - avoid this route if it makes you nervous - but let's put thing in perspective - they are just taking the cash that is easily found - wallets, purses - and not physically harming anyone.

and yes, no one wants this to happen to them - me included. But i also don't want someone to climb a wall and steal my personal possessions.either - and I think the chances of that happening are greater. Last time this was a problem was 2011 accordidng to what I could find - and it happened to several people - so it is probably going to happen again if they got away with it - but meanwhile, hundreds of expats are probably on this road each month without a problem - so the chances that it will happen to you are probably very very low.

Happening on a daily basis or rarely ! It is still being robbed by the people that are supposed to protect & serve. I cannot accept

and compare this with other criminal activities to make me feel any safer. "Home invasions" & "Home Robberies" are happening & this is in addition.

I have read that people's belongings have been searched & cameras, etc taken

Each of us makes their own choices, for me, if or when the day comes I have to worry about which road to drive, to go out at night, to wonder who is out to get me is the day I'll start packing. And again, that's just me, each of us must decide, but none of us should live in fear, life is far too short for that.

Life is like a rack of clothes, you try on something and if you look good in it, if you feel good in it, then wear it, if/when that changes then it's time for you to change.

Happening on a daily basis or rarely ! It is still being robbed by the people that are supposed to protect & serve. I cannot accept

and compare this with other criminal activities to make me feel any safer. "Home invasions" & "Home Robberies" are happening & this is in addition.

I have read that people's belongings have been searched & cameras, etc taken

Who is it that is suppose to "protect and serve?" Seems to me that is a NOB term and it actually originated with the LAPD - in 1955. http://www.lapdonline.org/history_of_the_lapd/content_basic_view/1128

Different police entities have different missions - seems to me that might be a good topic for one of the LCS seminars if there is an expectation from locals that all are here to protect and serve.

glitner: so true, we all have our priorities. what scares most expats dosnt put a dent in me. on the other hand, i cant imagine driving thru mexico. that is something to see in a movie. crossing a border is not imaginable. there seems to be some obsession here w/police, criminals, cartels, what ever. just dont think about it. just say NO, i am ignoring this aspect.

Criminals are stupid. But, what are the odds of criminals posing as police, holding victims on the side of the road for over an hour and taking the chance that a real police officer might drive by? Or, being courteous enough to return the resident visa to the victim?

Archived