Chapala.com Webboard

how do you get best price on aslaksa airlines Guadalajara to San Diego roundtrip OCt 2013

oops spelling Alaska in head line

Please share your experience on getting best price using Alaska airlines roundtrip

Guadalajara to San Diego Oct 2013.

use agent or use discount website or direct with airline,

appreciate your experience

I and may wife will be traveling several times a year future to San Diego.

looking for best airline, it appears Alaska airline is the one to use.

Volaris canceling route in future to San Diego.

Looking for guidance from a frequent traveler to San Diego

I got an email of discounts for seniors that claimed Alaska Airlines offers a 50% discount to people over age 65. Curious to know if this is true--that's a heck of a discount!

Having been a ticket agent for American my advice is to keep checking Alaska's website. However, fares will vary by season, day of the week, how far in advance you are booking and how many seats are still available. It really is kind of a crap shoot. To save money, stay away from holidays, school vacations and long week-ends. Not to say you won't get a good fare then, but it would be less likely. Try to book at least 2-4 months in advance if possible.

And of course, try not to be locked in to specific dates. I leave Saturday AM for SanDiego on

U..S. Airways via Phoenix for 5 days and it's 7000 pesos. No one else could meet the dates

I needed... I went on line and ended up using In God we Trust - same prices but I got

to pick the flights I wanted.

And of course, try not to be locked in to specific dates. I leave Saturday AM for SanDiego on

U..S. Airways via Phoenix for 5 days and it's 7000 pesos. No one else could meet the dates

I needed... I went on line and ended up using In God we Trust - same prices but I got

to pick the flights I wanted.

$7,000 pesos for what? One way from GLD to SD? Return?

We could have booked last week for $1550.00 pesos one way from GLD to TJ. one way and return $1,550 pesos each way on Interjet with an over 60s discount.

We opted to go on Volaris for a bit more.

Volaris quite flying into SD. They have an off and on again bus service from downtown SD [sante Fe railroad station] to the TJ airport for free if you arrange it when booking.

We don´t leave until the middle of Aug. though. $8,000 pesos 2 adults, return, total.

I prefer flying Alaska to and from Portland also. I usually use Kayak.com to find the best fares. In August I'm going up on US Airways via Phoenix (not necessarily my favorite airline nor airport) but returning on Alaska via LAX. This ticket actually cost a little more than some other options but the advantage flying Alaska to return is that the first checked bag is free and the 2nd and 3rd are only $20 each. Compare that to other airlines excess luggage fees--or even what some charge for any checked bag, like US Airways $25 for the first checked bag--and in the long run the ticket works out cheaper because I always bring things back. In February I returned with only 2 check bags and felt guilty because I know how many people here want things brought back for them and I could have checked a third bag up to 50 lbs. for only $20. Such a waste of opportunity.

Best and cheapest way to go to San Diego is by Interjet airline to TJ. They even serve free beer and tequila. We always take the a taxi from the airport to Otay Mesa Immigration and then walk across with our luggage. About a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport. Family picks us up on the US side in Otay Mesa. Quite easy, done it several times. The Otay Mesa crossing is supposed to be less busy than the other crossing and closer to the airport. The line for immigration can be from an hour wait to no time at all. I've experienced both, just the luck of the draw or so it seems. There are shops, bank, fast food places etc. within a 5 minute walk once you clear the US immigration building, so there are good places to wait for your ride or your ride to wait for you.

PM me if you want more details.

I have traveled many a time to and from San Diego via Tiwanna (as they say). Always cross at San Ysidro til I was on a bus from TJ airport to the San Ysidro crossing for over 3 hours waiting our turn. Fridays and Sat afternoons are the worst. Also. I was told that since the SD Zoo is free to children in October, there is mucho traffic back and forth that month. Sometimes, there are virtually no lines. Am going to a ready lane pass for $70 for 5 years which at Otay has a separate quickie line apparently. It's amazing what you learn when you wait in a line for 2 hours with someone who crosses almost everyday.

I have traveled many a time to and from San Diego via Tiwanna (as they say). Always cross at San Ysidro til I was on a bus from TJ airport to the San Ysidro crossing for over 3 hours waiting our turn. Fridays and Sat afternoons are the worst. Also. I was told that since the SD Zoo is free to children in October, there is mucho traffic back and forth that month. Sometimes, there are virtually no lines. Am going to a ready lane pass for $70 for 5 years which at Otay has a separate quickie line apparently. It's amazing what you learn when you wait in a line for 2 hours with someone who crosses almost everyday.

Last time we did this a "facilitator" offered to get us close to the head of the line for $20 US which he shared with the officer monitoring the line there. It saved us 2 hrs in the baking midday sun and was definitely worth the "propina" for my friend with health issues. Took about 10 minutes on each side after that move. I felt sort of sheepish when he took us up there, but we had to show documents to the officer and chat for a few seconds and then he motioned us into the line and no one objected, out loud at least.

Much cheaper to fly to Tijuana then take the train across the border to San Diego.

It's actually a cab (easy to share a van with 8 total for 25 pesos a person) to the border at San Ysidro, walk across, faster if you pay someone $20 US to get you to the head of the line, and then the trolley into downtown San Diego which is right on the other side.

ajijicer you mentioned a ready Lane pass,

we have a global entry card, never used it. never walked across border nefore

we use global entry when we fly.

Is the ready lane pass work for you, where you pass the line and pass right through.

appreciate anyone's experience with using the pass for quick entry, t the border

Don't have the Ready Lame pass yet but the kind soul next to be in line kept pointing out Us folks who had it and walked in a separate lane which had no more than 10 people in it. Apparently it's a new passport and you get it at a US post office.

Don't have the Ready Lame pass yet but the kind soul next to be in line kept pointing out Us folks who had it and walked in a separate lane which had no more than 10 people in it. Apparently it's a new passport and you get it at a US post office.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1211/~/ready-lane-document-requirements

Not sure about the specificity to your two specific airports, but I found really cheapt tickets from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta for this Christmas by going to Orbitz, searching for the flight dates I wanted and setting up an "email when the airfare changes" alert. They emailed me 2x per week until I found a really great deal last month.

oops spelling Alaska in head line

Please share your experience on getting best price using Alaska airlines roundtrip

Guadalajara to San Diego Oct 2013.

use agent or use discount website or direct with airline,

appreciate your experience

I and may wife will be traveling several times a year future to San Diego.

looking for best airline, it appears Alaska airline is the one to use.

Volaris canceling route in future to San Diego.

Looking for guidance from a frequent traveler to San Diego

To get back to the original question, it used to be true that checking the airline's website late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning gave the best results, because that's when they recalculate which seats they need to discount. Worked for me about a year ago. Worth a try.

Archived