Chapala.com Webboard

Is there a Legal Requirement to Turn in TIP?

Ajijic

I know the possible outcomes of not doing so but curious as to the legal requirement to turn in your car permit as you exit Mexico. And, if there is a legal requirement on what do you base your answer?

Thanks, I checked Rolly's and what I saw was the dangers if out of country with TIP and accident, selling car etc. I do know when exiting at Laredo there is a booth where they offer to remove it but do not insist. Also at some other crossings when leaving Mexico they practically discourage removing it if you are returning soon.

In N. Laredo, you go to the car permit building, towards the end of the building you will see small booth.....they will do computer work & you remove your sticker when told. We did this on Sunday & then went into building & got car put into another name & got new TIP....all done in less than 1 hour.....signs on building stating where to go.

But my questions is: I know the possible outcomes of not doing so but curious as to the legal requirement to turn in your car permit as you exit Mexico. And, if there is a legal requirement on what do you base your answer?

But my questions is: I know the possible outcomes of not doing so but curious as to the legal requirement to turn in your car permit as you exit Mexico. And, if there is a legal requirement on what do you base your answer?

The answer is "yes" according to Aduana (http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_11218.html), it is required to have the hologram removed and the information cleared from the system or sanctions and impound may be levied. (see Retorno definitive, below):

EL RETORNO DE LOS VEHÍCULOS IMPORTADOS TEMPORALMENTE

El interesado debe presentarse con su vehículo ante el módulo CIITEV de Banjército, en cualquiera de las aduanas de salida, a efecto de registrar y obtener el comprobante del retorno.

Al presentar el vehículo se podrá optar por efectuar lo siguiente:

• Retorno parcial

Banjército registra información del retorno en el sistema y entrega al importador su comprobante de retorno parcial, para que pueda realizar entradas y salidas múltiples durante la vigencia del permiso.

• Retorno definitivo

El operador de Banjército registra la información en el sistema, desprende el holograma y retira el permiso, entregándole su comprobante de retorno definitivo.

• Retorno seguro

Si realizó la importación temporal de un vehículo, y por alguna razón no puede realizarse el retorno del vehículo en tiempo, se sugiere no conducirlo, ya que el mismo se encontrará de manera ilegal en el país y podrá ser sujeto de sanciones y embargo del vehículo.

Thanks JROD. So, does the first paragraph not say: Partial Return

Banjército return records information in the system and its delivery to the importer partial return receipt, so you can make multiple entries and exits during the term of the permit.

Does this mean if I am going out of the country and returning in say a week it is good for multiple entries and I do not have to remove permit from windshield and start process over upon re-entry?

You do not have to turn in your permit each time crossing the border during the term it has been issued for. Only when you are removing the vehicle for the last time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived