Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico: Some Answers

Xena

I've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get some information about what restrictions come along with the P.M. designation and what effect those restrictions would have on the local artist community. Simple?

Xena wrote:

Gringal, this was a brief meeting to get a clearer overall view of this issue. As I said in my report, "The application is in very early stages." The details are not yet available. I do hope that people will take advantage of Harry´s openness and communicate thoughts, ideas and concerns as this process continues. I also hope that people who get first-hand information will share it here.

Have you tried to contact Harry? HIs contact information is in the OP.

gringal, Xena brought up several issues, one of it being establishing Ajijic as an art community. The topic would be an entirely separate thread. Unfortunately, the Mexican artists do not participate on this board, nor do many of the ex pat artists. I understand your points about cultural center and also see where Bennie might be coming from. For Ajijic to become the art center of Jalisco, the input of all artists need to be heard. That would be the core. It's not going to happen on this board.

By the way, there have been a few ex pats featured at the center and they were also invited to participate in the "Day of the Dead" judged competition. A foreigner won that award.

gringal, if ajijic is established as a magicP, i would assume artists/craft people would be able to sell their work on the street (??) how could it be an "art destination" w/out art around? that should be cleared up. as for the restaurant in the cultural center, i have no judgements about that. they pay rent, so thats $$. maybe its nice to have a place to sit? artists were here since the 1950s, but its changed much since then.

As I said in a previous post, I heard a fairly solid rumor that artists and artisans are not allowed to sell their wares in the main plaza once the P.M. designation is given. Further rumors are that Patzcuaro is having a problem there.

I hope that is not so.

Absolutely true that the business of Ajijic being established as an art community is a separate issue from the P.M. issue. The only connection has to do with exhibiting and selling opportunities.

I understand that the artists belonging to the local ASA group are from all over Lakeside; from Chapala, to Jocotepec, to over on the South shore. The latest head count was nearly 200 members of all nationalities; many are native Mexicans.

Here's hoping that the dreams can become reality without other dreams being hurt in the process.

Not being able to hold open air art shows/sales in a place that themed around art and artists would be a deal killer for me. However, if the cultural center could provide a readily available substitute, that might be a solution.

I enjoy seeing the artists out on the plaza showing and selling their work. True, some of it is pretty amateurish but being able to see, appreciate and compare the work is one way that artists can learn and grow.

Doubts and concerns are a part of every process and they should be discussed. Those who have an interest in Pueblo Magico and the future of Ajijic were invited in my OP to contact Harry. You can call or email -- perhaps set up a meeting and ask your questions in person. He has offered up his contact information and exhibited a willingness to have a candid conversation.

Archived