Chapala.com Webboard

Need Advice! How to entertain Grandgirls (20/22) while in Ajijic?? Help!!

I reread the OP and am unsure as to how long they would actually be here? If just a couple of months, probably not long enough to study Spanish to good effect.

I'll tell ya what, Bennie, if a couple of old folks like us can ride the bus to Guad, and then take a city bus to the Mercado, these girls are sure to be quite capable of it and they can pick up a cab at the Old bus station to go where they want in GDL. Doing stuff like that is what makes trips to foreign countries fun. When we were that age, we looked for those kinds of adventures. All they need is some coaching about getting on the Directo and using cabs in GDL.

They aren't children, fer crying out loud.

Also, if they are here for several months, Guanjuato, Hildalgo and San Miguel, where the Mexican revolution began. They can take the first class bus from GDL.

I think bennie is referring to the fact that no one fools with us "old" bus riders, but for pretty, young women there can be problems, especially when you are new here and don't understand the male mexican mentality. How and what do they do if someone "messes" with them, or threatens them? And, to whom do they go for help?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beach NOT this time of year!

Mine loved horse riding up the mountain..3 hours at 300 p each person. Take food and water. Pancho will take good care of you. Also, Karyoke singing is much loved. Try Johnnies Mommas on a relaxed Monday night. The spa in SQC for an afternoon.

Guest verchiel

This was a neat experience for us ... we went to Hacienda del Carmen for two nights. The owner is a lovely woman who has restored her family's old hacienda, but has kept it as a working hacienda. She grows the most beautiful bell peppers there in greenhouses. A major operation! There's a beautiful spa at the hacienda, too. She has a terrific restaurant with an unforgettable Mexican breakfast buffet. Just lovely. That she's a Mexican woman in charge of her life is also a terrific thing for young women to see.

http://www.haciendaelcarmen.com.mx/

MC, you are "seasoned", you live here, you know the ropes. 2 young girls getting a cab there may be dicey. an "adventure" in a down bus terminal could turn bad. personally i wont go to that station again, different strokes for different folks. i had several taxi "incidents", no more said. i didnt travel greyhound when i was young. in peru i had a private driver who worked for the guest house. funny, but when i was visiting my mother down here (as an older adult), i told her i wanted take an express bus to guad. she got hysterical. well, turns out she knew what she was saying! (they had lived in guad for several years). we dont know this family, what they are used too. understand, there are all kinds of people who post here. everyone has their comfort zone, their own lifestyle, social tastes. el bar or chapala may not be wise either. only grandma will know what is correct.

Are they athletic? How about hiking in the mountains? There are regular groups that go out on Tuesdays and Fridays. If this is something likely for them, they should bring their hiking boots. It's beautiful up in the mountains during the summer and the waterfalls may be running if we keep getting rain. PM me for details.

Also, the Guachimontones (round pyramids) are good way to spend a day. Here is a link to my photo-journal blog. There is a link included to a map showing how to get there from Ajijic:

http://cookjmex.blogspot.mx/2012/02/etzatlan-adventure-part-6-unique.html

MC, you are "seasoned", you live here, you know the ropes. 2 young girls getting a cab there may be dicey. an "adventure" in a down bus terminal could turn bad. personally i wont go to that station again, different strokes for different folks. i had several taxi "incidents", no more said. i didnt travel greyhound when i was young. in peru i had a private driver who worked for the guest house. funny, but when i was visiting my mother down here (as an older adult), i told her i wanted take an express bus to guad. she got hysterical. well, turns out she knew what she was saying! (they had lived in guad for several years). we dont know this family, what they are used too. understand, there are all kinds of people who post here. everyone has their comfort zone, their own lifestyle, social tastes. el bar or chapala may not be wise either. only grandma will know what is correct.

We weren't seasoned when we did this. If I felt this way about Mexico, I sure wouldn't live here. We take sensible precautions like not traveling at night but we don't worry about traveling on well occupied buses to busy places like GDL.

Young people use the buses all the time alone. These two would be traveling together, giving greater security.

You have to decide if you want to live or hide. I hope they chose to enjoy this country and not hide out from it.

Beach NOT this time of year!

Mine loved horse riding up the mountain..3 hours at 300 p each person. Take food and water. Pancho will take good care of you. Also, Karyoke singing is much loved. Try Johnnies Mommas on a relaxed Monday night. The spa in SQC for an afternoon.

Just spend four days at the coast no problem just make sure you have a pool. Pay attention to the weather but we had a great time and

Melague and Barra Navidad were perfect. Just sit in the pool or ocean during the middle of the day and read.

Other things for the young ladies to do.

Yoga Classes

Zumba or dance classes (learn to tango for example)

Go see Joco market for more Mexican experience.

Take bus to Guad and go downtown to see murals, opera house, square.

Go see Mazamitla across the lake and see pine trees and a very cute city.

Help pick up trash with the locals on sat morning at PD in Ajijic.

Go for a boat ride on lake

Take bus to Chapala and go shopping

I've entertained a variety of teens/early '20's here and they have all enjoyed it. I've taken the last two groups (2 girls one year, 3 boys the next) to the beach. Sayulita was perfect. We rented a house, they took surfing lessons, the town is small and there it felt very safe. I could relax and not worry about them. Yes, it was hot. We found an airconditiioned place to rent. PV was good, but it was necessary to drive or take a taxi much of the time.

They have all loved it at lakeside as well. We didn't worry much about planning and they seemed to entertain themselves. I'd add walking dogs at the shelter or volunteering to spend time in the cat cages, and I second the suggestion for the ballet folklorica.

These are young 20ish girls, non-athletic, very academic -- are they into music and dancing?

If they are, definitely Adelita's on Friday night for Mike and the Suspects (younger crowd mixed with the older expats, but everyone dances with everyone -- I danced with 2 3 year olds last Friday night), El Barco on Saturday night (definitely a younger crowd from Guad mostly after 11 pm), El Piano Rojo for a show or shows -- Chi Chi is every Sunday and she is a little bawdy, but very entertaining, Puerto Vallarta is hot and humid, but stay near Los Muertos Beach and Old Town and you are near the new pier, water, etc. I stay at Hotel Posada de Roger for less than $50/night with air conditioning, pool, full kitchen available, and 2 blocks from the beach.

Just my suggestions.

dancing queen

Monday and Thursday nights are nice at Wings Army across from the Walmart plaza. The other spots tend to cater to older people and those with many tattoos who smoke alot

MC, you are older & wiser than the girls. you also are responsible for yourself. you also know by your own experiences that things happen. (whether its driving etc). its not "mexico" exactly. one can live here & never take a bus. it is the envirement that is unsavory @ the bus station. (IMO). since it is a "vacation", i couldnt imagine them purposly going there, if they have options. a vacation is supposed to be up beat. that place not sanitary, not the level the ETN station. loscats suggests the girls "pick up trash"? (off the charts, skip that). MC, i dont judge you or anyone one for comfort level & perception. the drivers outside can be very dangerous, or not. i would go from cab to cab, untill it felt right. what adds another layer to it, is that in mexico there is no 911. privado/ spencer have the right idea. grandma will give us a full report.

Biggest Danger? They might never want to go back...I first came here when I was 20 and have only went back to the states when I had to...I first came down for 10 weeks in 1993, immediately quit school and moved down here, going back when my money would run out. It took me 9 more years to get back to school and graduate.

I have an immage of Bennie staring out from behind her barred windows, the white gloves hiding the white knuckles. :)

Adventure is fun. Let them have it. Fear is a terrible thing and interferes with living life.

These are young 20ish girls, non-athletic, very academic -- are they into music and dancing?

If they are, definitely Adelita's on Friday night for Mike and the Suspects (younger crowd mixed with the older expats, but everyone dances with everyone -- I danced with 2 3 year olds last Friday night), El Barco on Saturday night (definitely a younger crowd from Guad mostly after 11 pm), El Piano Rojo for a show or shows -- Chi Chi is every Sunday and she is a little bawdy, but very entertaining, Puerto Vallarta is hot and humid, but stay near Los Muertos Beach and Old Town and you are near the new pier, water, etc. I stay at Hotel Posada de Roger for less than $50/night with air conditioning, pool, full kitchen available, and 2 blocks from the beach.

Just my suggestions.

dancing queen

Yes, they both dance and teach dancing as well. I'm not wanting them just wandering around on their own and as one previous post said I am educating them on not wearing short short or resort clothing in the village and beyond. Both girls are tall, one 6ft and have not traveled much really. I don't want to be a hovering Granny but of course want them to be safe. The youngest says she wants to try some horse back riding. They both love music and when we go anywhere we always seek out entertainment of that sort and also I do want them to let their hair down and have some fun. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I've entertained a variety of teens/early '20's here and they have all enjoyed it. I've taken the last two groups (2 girls one year, 3 boys the next) to the beach. Sayulita was perfect. We rented a house, they took surfing lessons, the town is small and there it felt very safe. I could relax and not worry about them. Yes, it was hot. We found an airconditiioned place to rent. PV was good, but it was necessary to drive or take a taxi much of the time.

They have all loved it at lakeside as well. We didn't worry much about planning and they seemed to entertain themselves. I'd add walking dogs at the shelter or volunteering to spend time in the cat cages, and I second the suggestion for the ballet folklorica.

The shelter and dog walking are great suggestions as we do visit the cat shelter her in Sechelt and love it. Maybe even a visit to the orphanage as I'd like them to experience a different culture. The girls are privileged and have not seen any of Mexico other than the all-inclusive. Not good. Such a big help...thank you!!

I have an immage of Bennie staring out from behind her barred windows, the white gloves hiding the white knuckles. :)

Adventure is fun. Let them have it. Fear is a terrible thing and interferes with living life.

I tend to be a bit paranoid as well and don't want to be as the father is so overprotective that I try to give the girls more freedom and let them make choices when with me. At the same time my son will kill me if anything happens and thinks Granny is a bit of an old hippy as it is!! I just feel positive about bringing them and I was there 3 months on my own and never had a problem in the village, even when walking to village for dinner in the evening. Mind you I'm not tall and gorgeous...except in my own mind! They do have to understand it's a different culture of course and leave the short shorts at home but Grandma will be close behind. Thanks for all the help, this is just amazing!!

Monday and Thursday nights are nice at Wings Army across from the Walmart plaza. The other spots tend to cater to older people and those with many tattoos who smoke alot

My Grands also have tattoos and smoke a lot!!! Haha just kidding, I couldn't resist. They are not street smart these girls so I need to caution them and doubt I would want them going off on their own unless it was with a group I knew...or knew of. They are here with me now and we're going to go over all these fabulous suggestions. Younger one wants to try horse back riding and I think the zumba classes would be great fun. Hope they let grandma tag along....

This is good! I have to be careful not to 'hover' over them too much either. Most of this is my son as he is paranoid and thinks Mexico is...well, lets not even go there. He worries constantly when they're here in Sechelt with me! Crazy as small ocean town with old people. He's a great son, nice man, good father but because he's not on this web I can say this...he's a pain in the ###! These girls need some adventure....the safe fun kind. We're all getting excited about the trip now.

but because he's not on this web I can say this...he's a pain in the ###! These girls need some adventure....the safe fun kind. We're all getting excited about the trip now.

HA.... He is going to be doing all kind of research on where his babies are going and will no doubt come across this very website and read this VERY ENTRY :ph34r:

They might like some spots in Guadalajara better, maybe they can ride in with me sometime and we can take them to some high end spots such as Andares and places in Providencia.

Very nice offer- Take him up on it -they will be safe without grandma-- great places for your girls to meet Mexican young people who are of the same class -they will have a great time-most young college educated Tapatios speak English ---it's very safe,

Young Tapitios girls, are a classy group.hint your girls need to dress up- skirts, heels, etc-.night life in these parts of the city are crowed, fun and very late

last Friday we went to meet group of friends after work- 830 we 1st to arrive-two story restaurant fully reserved- empty, we left at 1:00am- young people were waiting to take our table....

Buses- NOT FOR YOUNG EXPAT GIRLS- maybe for expat senior couples 1st class bus to PV--or SMA-- in a group-

In GDL- middle class Mexicans will never ride the bus -Tapitio Friends have warned me -"' Don't even think about it- "'we've never done it and Today-we would never allow our kids to do it- ""

2 expat girls alone on a bus---from Chapala to GDL----NO WAY Jose...agree with Bennie....

When our grown daughter and son in law were here last, all they knew about what Mexico was like was the Tijuana version and what they read in the papers. We asked if they'd like to see "the other Mexico" and they did, so we lined them up with one of those tours (I think Charter) in a van with about 8 people that takes folks to downtown Guadalajara's historic district with a very pleasant and savvy young female bilingual guide. We went, too, and it was great! Ended up sitting in the square and finally eating a luscious dessert in a little cafe next to the Opera House. Our guide was extremely informative.

There are some good trips to Tequila by van, too. We really enjoyed the one to Herradura, with it's tour of the facility.

I tend to agree with Privado about the public bus thing not being the best way to go on their own, on a first trip. After all, you don't want your son to quit speaking, eh?

OK -- here I go again...I would humbly suggest my friend Ana -- her company is: www.anakabande.com

She does private tours to many places and is an expert on Guadalajara and could design a fun tour for the girls (and grandma) and perhaps she would introduce you to her twin boys who are, I believe, 17 now -- a little younger than your girls, but well mannered, educated, very musical and gorgeous guapo boys.

If you do decide to go with my suggestions of Adelita's on Friday night just take them around 8 pm for dinner as they have great food and varied menu and you will get a taste of the music and crowd and decide whether to stay or not. The cover is only 20 pesos.

El Barco is a young Guad crowd on Saturday night, but a lot of us older expats go also and we have fun. There is usually a group of young gals who teach at a school in Guad -- they are from Switzerland and speak English, very polite and a lot of fun. One of them was wearing short shorts with a stylish blouson white blouse and trendy jewelry last weekend and she didn't look out of place or too sexy. She is 5'10" and model gorgeous and no one was the least bit offensive to her.

So take all of this with a grain of salt, and create a memorable vacation experience in Mexico so they will be good ambassadors for this lovely and welcoming country when they return. If they have learned some Spanish also that would be a huge plus and they will have time in a month to become easily advanced beginners if they are good students. IMHO.

And, Bennie, give it a rest -- your fears are your fears...and you need to own them.

dancing queen

Archived