Chapala.com Webboard

Arthritis

Is there any relationship between bouts of arthritis and living lakeside? It seems whenever I return from a trip to lower altitude desert climates, my arthritis flares up here. Also can anyone recommend a good physician or meds for this stuff ... it's quite painful?

It is possible that the stress of travel causes the flare up. It always takes me a week or two to be pain free when I fly in. This is the better climate for it in general. I use Aleveas needed, cut down on acids like coffee, load up on veges.

I can definitely feel the effect on my arthritis of low pressure when a storm is coming during the rainy season, like now when we are getting the after-effects of tropical storm Barry that hit the east coast a couple of days ago and worked its way inland. But other times the dry warm weather here definitely makes my arthritis NOT hurt. That was a big reason why I moved here.

I very strongly recommend Triflex, produced/sold by GNC. It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitine, but more importantly, MSM (and that helps absorbing the first 2 ). It is not medication but helps rebuilding (and relieves some of the pain) the cartilage.

It is for humans but I started using it for my doggie, last year in November, and after 3 months, she stopped limping. And a dog does not lie or does not suffer from Placebo effects.

It is not an instant solution thing, but healthier and no side effects.... just have to be a little patient.

If anyone interested, I can explain also how to get it at the best price and where....

Rony

Dra. Dulce C. Gonzalez Cristopulos, Reumatologia, Justo Sierra 2460, 333 615 4440 is the office number. You will need someone who speaks Spanish to make the appointment for you as the girl at the front desk does not speak English. Dra. Gonzalez speaks some English and you should not have a problem communicating during your visit. Her husband is an Internest and specializes in infectious diseases. He has helped me twice in the past and they are both helping me with some medical problems at present.

The office is not hard to find and there is parking in the front. If you do not know Guadalajara and would like specific directions PM me.

excessive purines in organ meats, & several vegetables cause dull pain. chemicals/fake gluten in cakes breads as well. burning is from soft tissue problems around the joint, thats from too much walking or carrying bags. as for ronys suggestion: thats an exhorbident amount of minerals from ground shells. tried it once, got a migraine. the rhemotoligist agreed to that fact. forme, anything that causes reflux can affect joint inflammation. warm water in morning w/anti imflammatory cream, ice pack after walking. thats what i do, i dont take medication. once the cartilege is gone its gone.

yes, me too!

Cuernavaca is the best place for the ones with arthritis. We will be moving over there Asap, Because the closeness to the like and all this humidity gets the arthritis to become worst!

Can you imagine? look at most of the walls, with all this humidity, I do not want to think about the same in our bones....:(

I had severe joint and back pain and problems with tendinitis and started using Chondroiton and Glucosamine with MSM. It works especially when you continue to work rather than sit around. When I talked to my doctor about it he said they were micky mouse medicines and suggested some more off the counter stuff that frankly gave me indigestion, heartburn and were not of much use as the effects were short lived. The other stuff had neither of these side effects and can keep you comfortable for several months and the effects don't wear off after a few hours.

If you are fond of Garlic you should look into using it too as part of your get well regimen it has many useful properties.

the chemical meds made my feet turn blue from bleeding under the skin, i also felt catatonic. i took them for 9 days, finally the pain went away. it was a 10 day treatment. never again. as for the natural stuff that is different w/each person. for me those ground up sheels were aweful. one day & never again. i take very few medicines.

Run (if you can), do not walk, go right to Walmart or Pharmacia Guad and buy a tube of Voltaren cream. We call it "magic cream" and it has helped my arthritis enormously. It is diclofenac cream - don't take diclofenac in a pill form it has lots of bad side effects BUT the rub on cream is wondrous. This is the same cream that is sold NOB for use on horses at $95 USD a tube(!) but down here it's more like 95 pesos.

I dropped my Celebrex several years ago. Now I take the supplements other folks mentioned (plus mine has ASU, a derivative of avocado oil), an ibuprofen in the morning and sometimes at night, and use my magic cream. I'm more pain free and move better than I have in at least a decade.

I haven't noticed if a change in altitude affects the pain.

The thing with Chondr/glucos and MSM is that many times the tablets do not contain what they say they do. It is not a medication, so there is hardly any checking + since there is no instant result, it is hard to check if it works.

Therefore I bought from GNC, a well respected US brand,.... and again, lots of my friends saw with me how my dog improved after 3 months. If it works for the dog, I trust it, since there is no influence of the mind with them. And you have to be a little patient and not give up on it.

As far as migraine,.... she might have some, but no complaints from her so far. She seems happy enough.

And with almost anything there is some side effect, if not immediately, sometimes later. Ofcourse, since it is not medication, doctors, as always, are sceptical. I am sceptical about a lot of doctors.

Everybody can believe what they choose to believe, I can only say that I witnessed how arthritis got completely under control.

And unlike with a lot of medication, it probably will not hurt trying it.

I believe that it certainly beats starting with the horrible pain medication that in the long term damages kidneys and the liver.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, most people want instant and easy solutions for everything, regardless possible long term negative consequences.

As with most subjects, every person has his/her wisdoms (including me), up to the reader to decide.

Rony

rony, it WAS the dr who put me on the chon/glus. & the dr who said, if you have a migraine get off it. (i had stopped after 2 days on my own), i asked him if it was the minerals (ground shells), he said yes. a migraine is very painful, your pressure goes up. thats not just a small side affect. the next crap he put me on was something from alvocados. that made the pain worse. as for commericial meds, they do damage the liver & kidneys big time. holdra: i have that cream. they also have generic for 40 pesos, i think @ similar or guad pharm. you can only use an anti imfammatory for 2 weeks then stop. then start in another week.

Rony I am taking glucosamine&chondrogitin ,but not msm and I find that it is helping.... What is msm? Ty

It stands for Methylsulfonylmethane and apparantly it helps the body absorbing the gluco and chondroit.

I know of a vet here at Lakeside, who just takes it (just the MSM in powder, disgusting taste) to prevent arthritis, that is how strongly he believes in it.

An American retired chemist told me that it is essential if you want the gluc and chondroit to help. People like that vet and the retired chemist do not have hidden agendas (as far as wanting to sell a product), The vet knew that I was already given it to my dog (and buying it from GNC).

After months of talking to people like that particular vet and the chemist (+ online research) and than seeing the dramatic result myself, it will be hard to convince me that it would not work. I am not saying that other things do not work.

Because I want the very VERY best for my dog, I did very serious fieldwork, before giving it to her.

Rony

Archived