Chapala.com Webboard

J car gone

Tadpole

Took my J car across the border yesterday. No problems. There were three checkpoints which after setting through the line, we were flagged to proceed without questions. each checkpoint gets a little more intense than the one before. In NVO we turned in the expired tip without questions and were off to TX. Left at at 5am and got to NVO at 3:30.

I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE THAT OVER WITH!

Took my J car across the border yesterday. No problems.

For the good of the order, may I ask..... did you take your J car north to sell 'at the border'. If so what was your experience? Did you find a place that would give you a reasonable price for your car? If so, do you mind sharing how that related to Blue Book?

Thanks!

For the good of the order, may I ask..... did you take your J car north to sell 'at the border'. If so what was your experience? Did you find a place that would give you a reasonable price for your car? If so, do you mind sharing how that related to Blue Book?

Thanks!

in Dallas now. Will not sell the car for another week. Probably to Carmax. Don' t have a clue what I will get yet.

I still have to get rid of my Nissan X Trail-a J car so it was interesting in the last week to see 3 of these J cars almost identical to mine with Jalisco plates. Frustration.

Isn't it interesting:

The Honda CR-V is unique among the Honda models, in that it is produced in three locations for the American market. While the East Liberty, Ohio facility produces as many as 400 CR-Vs a day, due to its popularity, models built in El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico as well as Sayama, Saitama, Japan may be imported to meet demand.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying/where-are-honda-cars-built

Yet it can't be "imported" into MX? - sure tells you a lot about the corruption and payoffs here doesn't it?

Yet it can't be "imported" into MX? - sure tells you a lot about the corruption and payoffs here doesn't it?

The Governor of Guanjuato state has clearly stated he is protecting the many auto manufactures and dealers in Mexico. There are several manufactures making cars in his state and more assembly and parts plants under construction. The two main auto dealer associations are akin to the oil industry in the US in terms of influence.

I still have to get rid of my Nissan X Trail-a J car so it was interesting in the last week to see 3 of these J cars almost identical to mine with Jalisco plates. Frustration.

Suggestion- why not take to a Nissan Dealer in GDL and TRADE IT IN for a newer used car ??

Yes, yes yes, my fellow travelers, ain't it wonderful to live in a place where you have to ask other "foreigners" on a forum what you can and can't do? - wow, just imagine what we can explore next? - which by the way might, or might not, have any relevance to the guy with a gun and a badge who stops you next for any - yes ANY, obscure reason. And, for any of you tempted to tell me to "go home" - this is my home and I'm simply trying to live long enough to see the Mexican culture "grow up" beyond it's adolescence.

So I'm a little confused.... The X-Trail is not available in the U.S. I don't know about Canada. I've only seen them in Mexico. Where did you purchase yours.... where is it titled?

Just wondering as I thought all X-Trails would have Mexican titles.

So I'm a little confused.... The X-Trail is not available in the U.S. I don't know about Canada. I've only seen them in Mexico. Where did you purchase yours.... where is it titled?

It was available for a while in Canada.

The X Trail is widely available in Canada-imported from Japan. Those made in Japan and supposedly are better than the Mexican made ones. I purchased mine in Vancouver. It is British Columbia titled.

Suggestion- why not take to a Nissan Dealer in GDL and TRADE IT IN for a newer used car ??

I asked Spencer at S & S Auto but he didn't mention that as an option. I would do it in a flash if I could.

As far as I know, they won't take U.S. cars in trade in GDL or I'd try this. Do you know if any of the Honda or Toyota dealers will do this?

Thanks!

Forget S&S- he wouldn't tell you about trade in's-he'll lose commission- he's in business to make money from expats buying cars-

Dealers love good condition trade ins- 2 friends just traded 2 yr old Volvo SUV another 3YR Honda pilot-driven only in the city by women taking kids to school and shopping- But, calling dealers is not the way to handle it-

KNowing how things work after living here for some years -You need to handle it like a Mexican -Face to Face -Talk makes NICE-

My suggestion- --Drive to GDL Visit the dealers, look at new or used cars talk with the salesman for while about what you need-It's the Relationship you make with the salesman or manager that may get you what you want. (Dealers have English Speakers)

act like you're interested in buying--chit chat etc - Only THEN - tell him you want to trade in your car - Dealers know the law about foreign cars - If they hesitate say OK I'm going to look at some other dealers and leave -They will ask for your phone number -Mexican friend got a great deal by walking when 1st dealer didn't have the color or equip he wanted- they called him next day WE found the car - offered extra equip free to buy from them--- he bought- just like the US

New 2014 cars are hitting the market soon- they want to empty their lots now--may take 2 trips but Worth a try..

I have learned the value of the relationship- Have an older Jeep with low miles- it's serviced at the largest Chrysler/Jeep Dealer in GDL- I speak mod Spanish-- 1st time there- guy checking my car called the Service manager to talk to me in English - Hector saw my Calif plates -he lived in LA for 22 years and we became instant buddies .Now, I call him directly-he handles everything and staff treats me with kid gloves -When I drop my car - he has someone drive me home or dealer pays for a taxi--When I pick up- Hector goes to the office with me and gives me a 10% discount . Last year he said, your car is Calif special emissioned-we've got to order a new radiator ++ other parts from US "maybe time to think about buying new-" was really hesitant-

He said I'll go with you to the showroom and I'll get you a really good deal ! I declined but My jeep is Nafta maybe it would have worked as a trade in

My good friend always tell me --build a relationship first--It' the only way we do business in Mexico-

S & S should still get a commission.

You would think it would be a bit risky for salesmen to do this if it wasn't a NAFTA vehicle.

Hard to build up a relationship first if you aren't fluent in Spanish-no?

S & S should still get a commission.

You would think it would be a bit risky for salesmen to do this if it wasn't a NAFTA vehicle.

Hard to build up a relationship first if you aren't fluent in Spanish-no?

No - Dealers have people who speak English-

I live in the city- and am obviously not Mexican- I speak Spanish to everyone -more than 50% of the time they answer me in English- some not so well--- others perfect- especially people under 45

Almost every person I know to age mid 50's speaks English -women not as much--- I was recently at the opening of Patron Tequila's new Headquarters with 2 Mexican men- as we walked through the offices - everyone working greeted them in Spanish and me in perfect English and the Director a Mexican, spoke English as well as I do

...It bugs me - I need to practice my conversational Spanish

Forget S&S- he wouldn't tell you about trade in's-he'll lose commission- he's in business to make money from expats buying cars-

Man... you should be held accountable for the things you write! I just bought a new car with help from Spencer (S&S) . I have a Jalisco plated car, from a Guadalajara dealer and Spencer was totally open to me asking what they would give for a trade in. He had no problems with the suggestion and was ready to to it. (I decided to keep it).

He also would have shown me used cars (one caught my eye), no problem.

Is there something evil about someone starting a succesfull business and earning a lively-hood? Living a life as a "pay check" person is one way to go, but taking the initiative to start your own business, working insane hours and taking much financial and personal risk does work once in a while! Thats when the pay-check people start complaining that these business owners are making too much money! Geesh!

Man... you should be held accountable for the things you write! I just bought a new car with help from Spencer (S&S) . I have a Jalisco plated car, from a Guadalajara dealer and Spencer was totally open to me asking what they would give for a trade in. He had no problems with the suggestion and was ready to to it. (I decided to keep it).

He also would have shown me used cars (one caught my eye), no problem.

Is there something evil about someone starting a succesfull business and earning a lively-hood? Living a life as a "pay check" person is one way to go, but taking the initiative to start your own business, working insane hours and taking much financial and personal risk does work once in a while! Thats when the pay-check people start complaining that these business owners are making too much money! Geesh!

Valgal- this is your rant- I did not say any of this-except the 1st sentence Geesh!

I was responding to Cedros- who had talked to S&S and no mention was made of being able to trade in a car at dealers in Guad

Archived