Chapala.com Webboard

update, airport nationalization

jrm30655

Isn't Aduana charging 40% tax on the vehicle's value because so many vehicles have been reported stolen when they were dumped? I can't remember the agency but I think it is Aduana. It isn't fair, especially to those whose vehicles were really stolen but overkill never stopped a government agency from heavy handed methods to solve problems.

In the process we use, UCD checks the VIN of every vehicle immediately upon starting the process to see if stolen. The 100 pesos fee is included in the price. Aduana's is charging far less than 40%. It is the brokers in some cases making mega dinero hence the high price. For the Aduana portion what we are seeing is 15000 to 21,000 p max. plus broker plus the person at this end doing all the legwork.

The price most are paying for the federal tax is usually mas $3,000 pesos and the value of the vehicles is listed as $1,000, not sure how they are swinging it as it is much less than the simulator on the government web site when you enter your VIN number. Not sure if it will be a future liability or not. There is good money being made.

In the process we use, UCD checks the VIN of every vehicle immediately upon starting the process to see if stolen. The 100 pesos fee is included in the price. Aduana's is charging far less than 40%. It is the brokers in some cases making mega dinero hence the high price. For the Aduana portion what we are seeing is 15000 to 21,000 p max. plus broker plus the person at this end doing all the legwork.

No, I'm not saying 40% to nationalize, it's 40% of the value of a vehicle for claiming it was stolen because so many foreigners have filed claims that their vehicles were stolen and Mexico doubts that is the truth. Mexico started charging a 40% penalty for a vehicles a foreigner claims is stolen.

No, I'm not saying 40% to nationalize, it's 40% of the value of a vehicle for claiming it was stolen because so many foreigners have filed claims that their vehicles were stolen and Mexico doubts that is the truth. Mexico started charging a 40% penalty for a vehicles a foreigner claims is stolen.

Thanks for clarifying.

Well, according to the prices quoted by original poster it will take approximately $2900.00 at most for nationalization and plates through the broker at the airport. That is a much better deal for many, many ex-pats with newer cars. Won't the insurance problem be the same whether you have nationalized a car or bought one here? Won't you still get the same amount of money if the car is stolen or totaled? Or, is it different for a car purchased here in Mexico?

For cars purchased here some insurers offer coverage retail plus 10% and I haven't found fair coverage for nationalized vehicles, there is often stuff hidden in the fine print. With that said one can protect themselves by, when available, always using valet parking or parking in a paid lot and never parking on the street.

That's simply not true. I know expats who have been paid full value when their car was stolen.

I have seen insurance policies stating that nationalized cars will only be paid 60% of blue book less deductible so it is possible to only receive 50% in the event of total loss, maybe less depending on fine print and deductible, please read your policy's fine print, it may surprise you.

If people are replying to what I wrote about a 40% penalty on the value of vehicles reported stolen, I was describing foreign plated vehicles, not Mexican plated vehicles getting the penalty. Too many people were reporting their foreign plated vehicles stolen, not for the insurance, but because they couldn't or didn't want to drive the vehicles back to the border or find some other legitimate way to get rid of them.

We don't allow valet parking anyway unless it is at a hospital or doctor's office and we have no choice. We checked our policy and our Mexican insurance policy does not state anything about it not covering the total cost of the vehicle less deductible ... even in the fine print ... which most of it is. I suppose there are insurance agents in this town (or any town for that matter) that will sell you a policy like that and not tell you ... it is buyer beware anywhere you go. We just went into one insurance office about 10 days ago to renew our house insurance and they had the house we lived in two years ago on the policy ... plus a totally different name for me ... husband's was correct. They said they would fix it and call or email and we have not heard a word. We will change this policy to our new agent that also handles our health and car insurance now. We just all need to be very aware and vigilant and read our policy no matter what it covers.

For cars purchased here some insurers offer coverage retail plus 10% and I haven't found fair coverage for nationalized vehicles, there is often stuff hidden in the fine print. With that said one can protect themselves by, when available, always using valet parking or parking in a paid lot and never parking on the street.

Living in the city we have no choice- we valet park at every restaurant etc or sometimes private lots- at some of the large Taco stands at night there are steet guys who will save you a parking space and watch your car for a propina

BUT Valet is a way of life in the city

Last week a friend told us she was at a birthday party in a restaurant about a month ago - and just received a speeding ticket with a photo of someone driving her new Acura on the night she was at the party- it was one of the Valet's from the restaurant !! she still had to pay

Expats with foreign plated cars should not use valet parking. It is illegal for a Mexican to drive that vehicle, for any reason, if the owner/importer is not in the vehicle. In the event of an accident, the owner will remain responsible, lose the car and probably spend time in jail. Insurance may be invalidated. This is Aduana law, not SVT.

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1352;t=search_engine

On the "safe return" permit it has a place for a person other than the owner of a vehicle to drive it with a notarized letter from the owner giving permission so I assume this notarized letter is not needed for nationalized vehicles, only vehicles with a TIP.

Don´t they treat nationalized vehicles the same as national vehicles?

Expats with foreign plated cars should not use valet parking. It is illegal for a Mexican to drive that vehicle, for any reason, if the owner/importer is not in the vehicle. In the event of an accident, the owner will remain responsible, lose the car and probably spend time in jail. Insurance may be invalidated. This is Aduana law, not SVT.

True. I have read only blood relatives and spouses of the owner can drive a TIP permit vehicle without a notarized letter authorizing it or other people with the same INM document, not Mexican Nationals without the owner in the vehicle.

True. Once nationalized, the car is Mexican and can be driven by anyone.

Prior to nationalization, it cannot be driven by a Mexican without the owner/importer in the vehicle.

So, if you are not doing the nationalization process in person, be sure you understand this. You can authorize another expat with temporary residence or tourist status, but NOT a permanent resident, inmigrado or Mexican citizen.

You can authorize another expat with temporary residence or tourist status, but NOT a permanent resident, inmigrado or Mexican citizen.

So if the first person whose name the TIP is in becomes a permanent resident and the other spouse or a close relative (son/daughter) is NOT a permanent resident (Residente Temporal or Tourist) still, is that second person allowed to drive the vehicle around without doing anything? If not, then as I understand it, the vehicle would need to go to the border, surrender the first TIP, transfer the ownership over to the second person and take out a new TIP in the second person's name. Or is it possible to transfer an ownership of a foreign plated vehicle from say parent to child from within Mexico?

We help people get new import permits in Mexico in situations where a spouse cannot renew their TIP due to going permanent so we get another one in the spouse's name if they are temporary.

Archived