Chapala.com Webboard

update, airport nationalization

jrm30655

Went ove rto the airport 6/12 and dropped off the documents. Went today (6/21) to get the car inspected.

Everything went as expected, should pick up the plates at the airport Tuesday.

The inspection is a PITA. Left Ajijic at 5:30am and returned at 5:30pm.

I had a driver (Ray 331 535 9456) and was glad I did. Driving thru rush hour traffic both ways if you don't know where you are going is not for the weak of heart or the weak of eyes. Also, no one there speaks English.

Since I've been there and done it, a couple of things:

1. You don't have to sign anything, so the owner doesn't have to be there.

2. I don't think that they took anything but the title. I had a file full of junk and that's the only thing that they needed in addition to what I gave the broker.

3. They checked the VIN in several places and checked that the emissions sticker.

4. When you get there, you call the brokers person and he brings you the paperwork that the inspectors need.

5. There is no money to be paid there.

6. The process takes most of the day and there is nothing to do. Take food, something to drink and I'd take a folding chair. There are some vending machines for soft drinks. Take something for entertainment or be bored.

Curious as one needs to be there personally or have a notarized power of attorney letter, fees are paid there for plates, you drive away with the new plates after you pay for them, did you not get your plates?

Curious as one needs to be there personally or have a notarized power of attorney letter, fees are paid there for plates, you drive away with the new plates after you pay for them, did you not get your plates?

If you go thru Secorp at the airport, the plates are delivered there a couple of days after the inspection and there is nothing to sign at the inspection station.

I have no idea how it works if the paperwork is sent to the border.

However, most of the MX cars were leaving with new plates.

Where do you get it inspected?

I thought the plates were gotten in Tonola.....???

Our inspections were in Tesistan. It's on the NW side of Guad and outside the loop. I'd guess that it is 4-5 miles north of the loop.

What was the total cost of the process?

23,500-35.000MXN depending on the car year and type. Plus about 1400MXN for the plates.

To understand, I started all this because I didn't want to drive to the border and everyone told me it was not possible.

Going this way, you can sit at home and get it all done. It is probably not the cheapest but it works, it is legal.

One of the cars we are doing is Charlie Klestadts car. Charlie is still in bed over his accident. If I can get tags for a guy lying in the hospital, anyone is possible.......

I'm not in the business of doing this but if you want all the info and will PM me, I'll write up a complete instruction list and send it to you. Include your e-mail so I can attach the instructions.

JRM well done. Do they get back a deposit? Do they remove car permit from Aduana's records?

It can also be done in SMA without leaving your home. No inspection required and simply 3 photos, scanned copy of title and utility bill and visa. the utility bill does not have to be in your name. The cost is considerably less and quoted before any monies paid. Range is approx 17,000 to 26,000 and receipts issued including the majority which is payment into Aduana's bank account.

Pedimento, factura and title sent to you by courier.

You can then get plates anywhere in Mexico.

JRM well done. Do they get back a deposit? Do they remove car permit from Aduana's records?

It can also be done in SMA without leaving your home. No inspection required and simply 3 photos, scanned copy of title and utility bill and visa. the utility bill does not have to be in your name. The cost is considerably less and quoted before any monies paid. Range is approx 17,000 to 26,000 and receipts issued including the majority which is payment into Aduana's bank account.

I don't know about the TIP deposit, haven't thought to ask.

I got my TIP over 5 years ago, think it was $40 or so and has been illegal for months.

I'm just going to scrape the TIP off when I put the tags on.

I'll check next week and see if I can get an answer

If only you could do this for a "J" car.

I keep hearing, however, that car dealers can import "J" cars and so theoretically you could sell the car to them, they could import it, and sell it back to you. Haven't heard of anyone actually doing this, however.

I do not have TIP deposit but many do and many worried about removing car from Aduana's computer. I personally do not care as applies to our car. Mine is a 2008 and have a PR visa and no obvious car permit... so far so good... fingers crossed. In November 2008 vehicles can be nationalized.

So far my wife has 12 to process. Some from as far away as Manzanillo.

The system we use, via emails, deposit into Aduana's bank account does not provide for a refund of deposit nor remove from Aduana's data base. The broker in Laredo she works with says only possible if car is presented at border.

I do not know of many such options at this price while being able to do it all without leaving your home.

Went ove rto the airport 6/12 and dropped off the documents. Went today (6/21) to get the car inspected.

Everything went as expected, should pick up the plates at the airport Tuesday.

The inspection is a PITA. Left Ajijic at 5:30am and returned at 5:30pm.

I had a driver (Ray 331 535 9456) and was glad I did. Driving thru rush hour traffic both ways if you don't know where you are going is not for the weak of heart or the weak of eyes. Also, no one there speaks English.

Since I've been there and done it, a couple of things:

1. You don't have to sign anything, so the owner doesn't have to be there.

2. I don't think that they took anything but the title. I had a file full of junk and that's the only thing that they needed in addition to what I gave the broker.

3. They checked the VIN in several places and checked that the emissions sticker.

4. When you get there, you call the brokers person and he brings you the paperwork that the inspectors need.

5. There is no money to be paid there.

6. The process takes most of the day and there is nothing to do. Take food, something to drink and I'd take a folding chair. There are some vending machines for soft drinks. Take something for entertainment or be bored.

Final update:

Got the plates today. Took exactly 2 weeks start to finish

23,500-35.000MXN depending on the car year and type. Plus about 1400MXN for the plates.

To understand, I started all this because I didn't want to drive to the border and everyone told me it was not possible.

Going this way, you can sit at home and get it all done. It is probably not the cheapest but it works, it is legal.

One of the cars we are doing is Charlie Klestadts car. Charlie is still in bed over his accident. If I can get tags for a guy lying in the hospital, anyone is possible.......

I'm not in the business of doing this but if you want all the info and will PM me, I'll write up a complete instruction list and send it to you. Include your e-mail so I can attach the instructions.

I am just catching up on emails and saw your post. Would be most interested in the information as I will probably be looking to nationalize when I go Permanente in late Oct., I have pm's you please send instructions.

I recently used a local lawyer in Ajijic to import and plate our Ontario plated car. The cost was $23,000.00pesos. I provided the ownership, original purchase document from the dealership in 1999, my passport and my Permanent Residency card. The car already had the current year's immission inspection sticker on the windshield. I was told 4 weeks. 5 weeks later as Semana Santa created a delay I received my documents and the Jalisco plates for our car. I proceeded to cancel the "tourist insurance" that we had on the car and purchased the appropriate insurance for the car now that it was Mexican plated. All was great....or so I thought. As I had already arranged for a local Mexican friend to buy the vehicle as soon as it was plated I decided to call the lawyer's office to simply inquire about changing the ownership to the Mexican purchaser. That seemed to create somewhat of a problem as the lawyer told me that as the Chapala vehicle licencing office were not "up to date" on the importation of cars that it would be best if I allowed them to have the ownership transfer take place in Guadalajara. That asked that I bring them the car and that within two days they would return the car with the new ownership documents.

In the meantime I read an article by Spencer McMullen and, of course, at that time there were a flurry of news articles and local reports of problems with foreign cars being imported and subsequently plated. It appeared that Tio Corp who were very involved in the legalization process had become involved in what can only be called a scam.

As a result of reading the artcle by Spencer McMullen I went to the appropriate web-site to check on my new Jalisco plates. Simply no record. When I checked the VIN on the same web-site I simply received the message that there was no report of the vehicle being "stolen"

I should mention at this point that I have good friends, in fact the friends that recommended that we use the Ajijic lawyer to import and plate our car as they had done so and all was accomplished, as promised, within 4 weeks. They had since returned to Canada for the summer. As I was aware of their new Jalisco plate number I decided to input their plate number and received the response that their plates had been reported as stolen (CON REPORTE DE ROBO) on March 1st of this year. I of course, immediately contacted our friends in Canada and told them about what I had found.

After speaking with them I contacted the local lawyer and the immediate response that I received was that I had to be mistaken.. Many weeks have now gone by and not only in my own case but it now involves as least 6 other couples who we know well who have dealt with the same lawyer (actually, lawyers as they are a husband and wife team) and all of us have problems.

On examination of my own "photocopy" of the supposed Pedimento it shows a date of July 5th. 2011. It shows our Ontario plated car as having come from St. Guthrie, Oklahoma. It shows the car being imported through the Aduana office in Matamoros, Tampico, Mexico and it shows me with a home address in Vista del Lago (Where I have never resided).

Our friends with the "stolen plates" have similar errors on their Pedimento only their Ontario plated car is shown as coming from Vermont.

As recent as June 17th we (all of the people we know who are involved) were promised that by Friday, June 28th all/each of our problems would be resolved and not only would we have new Pedimentos but we would have brand new Jalisco plates.

One of our friends received plates that appear to be legitimate but his problem (which may or may not be resolved) is that he has not been given a Pedimento and has now been waiting 4 weeks and has still not received one. Has not been able to get insurance as a result and, of course, without that document could never sell the car.

On Friday June the 28th I was told by the lawyer here in Ajijic that they have been unable to resolve our problems but would, over time, return our money. To be continued!

Wow, yikes...thanks for sharing that account of your experience, Carnivore...

JRM, I assume you have checked your documents on line ?

Yep, they all checked out OK.

I also checked some of the plates done by S&S Auto and they seem to be OK also.

It looks like that a few scamsters showed up early. Now, the word seems to be out that the border, people like S&S or the airport can do it legally.

Yep, they all checked out OK.

I also checked some of the plates done by S&S Auto and they seem to be OK also.

It looks like that a few scamsters showed up early. Now, the word seems to be out that the border, people like S&S or the airport can do it legally.

May I have you please post the web site where one checks pedimento. Thanks!!

compliments of http://yucalandia.com/driving-in-mexico-issues-fun/importing-driving-a-car-in-mexico/

May 2, 2013 Update
There have been reports from around the internet of various customs brokers and other “Agents” who are offering paper-only permanent imports of foreign-plated TIP cars, where the expat sends cash and their car’s papers to the “broker” and they get Mexican license plates in return. Note that some brokers are providing falsely obtained state plates, with no valid Aduana pedimento for the importation. Also note that if the broker does this for you, you should get your TIP cancelled too. Finally, there really MUST be a pedimento listed in Aduana’s national database for your VIN at the end of the process. Alternately, if want to buy a permanently imported car, or you have permanently imported your foreign-plated car, and you want to check if Aduana has officially logged your VIN & pedimento into their database, then: Check this Aduana website: http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/soianet/oia_consultarap_cep.aspx CONSULTA RÁPIDA DE PEDIMENTO ESPECÍFICO

I would like to see the post from jrm30655 who started this thread, or a version of the post to be penned for awhile. Maybe this would save some people from taking advise from certain lawyers in town that it would be most advisable to just "take your car to the States and dump it". I knew there would turn out to be a way for us to legalize our cars if we just waited a bit for things to settle down. It is too bad that many people were scammed by the Ajijic lawyer and by Tio Corp's involvement ... but now that we have good information that this can be done legally along with the where and how ... I would like to see it penned for a bit so all can benefit and not just the few that happen to read this post before it gets lost on page 2 and 3, etc.

Have to agree in that if we wait long enough and review various options, do a lot of research while avoiding personal attacks most issues get resolved as together we can be quite resourceful. In Mexico most anything is possible. Kee p positive and look for answers and solutions are available. Getting there can be a little difficult but tenacity pays off.

Well the many people would still benefit from dumping their vehicles.

For a little over a year I saw nothing but fraudulent pedimentos and chaos with vehicle nationalizations. I have recently, in the past 2 months seen people nationalize cars without problems and we have verified the pedimentos with Aduana personally as well as helped people get the Jalisco plates.

I am in the process of nationalizing my truck, my VIN number shows up on the pedimento verification web site. I will end up spending about $2,500US to do so. I am also looking for insurance and my SUV isn´t sold here in Mexico and the blue book value is not what the same sells for in the US ($12,000US)and my loaded model only has a replacement cost listed of $105,000 pesos (less deductible of course) for a cost of $6,000 pesos per year (my car is worth twice that and the insurance covers the real value and is only $2,000 pesos more). If my SUV is stolen or totaled I will surely take a loss, couple this with the cost spent to nationalize and I am wondering why I nationalized, I almost wish I bit the bullet and drove my truck to the border and dumped it and bought something here but I have no time to drive to the border as I work and yes I am lazy. It really is a choice between the lesser of the evils.

Who knows how long the current nationalization streak will last. I hope enough to help people but people need to do the math and be wary and verify all pedimentos as we won´t know when it stops, usually the only way we know is someone gets bad papers as the money is sent and spent and rarely refunded.

Isn't Aduana charging 40% tax on the vehicle's value because so many vehicles have been reported stolen when they were dumped? I can't remember the agency but I think it is Aduana. It isn't fair, especially to those whose vehicles were really stolen but overkill never stopped a government agency from heavy handed methods to solve problems.

Archived