Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico--what will it bring and what do we need to do for it?

Just to put this all in perspective, a member of Hector's committee informs me that at this point the idea is just a "gleam" in Hector's eye, no real work has been done on it of yet and it is pretty far down the priority list.

Basically, just being kicked around as an idea at this point.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chapalafan, yes hooters, applebees, bars, bands, more street fairs, burger kings. quaint died years ago, i doute it will come back. the word tourism isnt always so nice.

We know about these from the other threads. Could you do some translating for us here of the most salient points? Thanks.

Here's the most salient point:

a) Arquitectura: Considerar la armonía y conservación general de los

elementos arquitectónicos, civiles o públicos, que dan carácter e identidad

al poblado. No necesariamente deberán ser poblados con monumentos

históricos, sino también pueblos con arquitectura vernácula o del siglo XX.

SECTUR will consider the "harmonious and well-preserved architecture which give character and identity to the village." They will not exclude native or 20th Century architecture from consideration.

it is our understanding that Chapala applied and was turned down due to the presence of a Walmart.

The application is anticipated for Ajijic only. Historically, Chapala has been more dependent on Ajijic for funding than the reverse. There seems to be no forthcoming change in that. We are and probably will be on our own with minimal support from Chapala, certainly no adequate return on our taxes, water fees, realty transfer taxes and business licences.

The intent would be to attract middle class families and upper class mexican vacationers from the Guadalajara area and others.

No one is looking for a dog fight as some seem to always be.

PS when Chapala made it's application none of you were even informed much less consulted.

Just to add my 2 cents worth, it says in the rules that a population base of 20,000 people is required, but an

exemption can be made.

The town of Chapala made an application to become a Pueblo Magico during the Degollado administration.

The request was turned down because Chapala was lacking on many counts.

Since then Chapala got a facelift and it looks much better.

Ajijic would have a better chance of becoming a Pueblo Magico.

When Tapalpa was given the title it meant the rebuilding of the plaza ,the houses around the plaza and surrounding

streets. We watched the transformation. For Tapalpa it worked out just fine.

The Pueblo Magico designation has to be applied for yearly.

Thank you HANSI. This is a major goal and not to be rushed into blindly. That is why the Delegado and his committee are taking a measured approach.

That means the spanish speaking members of the committee and the Delegado are reviewing the "Rules of Operation"

Walmart was not the issue. Besides, Walmart is in San Antonio Tlayacapan.

Chapala back then had a run down appearance. The lake shore did not look

attractive, garbage on the streets, old cars growing into the pavement. etc.

There was a lack of civic pride. The attitude was: why change anything, it was

OK.all this time.

Mainecoons has answered what for me was the most important question: how far along in the process is Ajijic?

The answer: has not even started. He passes on info from a member of Hector's committee who said "the idea is just a "gleam" in Hector's eye" and "it is pretty far down the priority list." ChrisB translates that into "the Delegado and his committee are taking a measured approach."

Thank you, Mainecoons, for passing on the info.

Harry Bublin is chair of the Delegado Advisory Committee and in daily contact with the Delegado Hector Espania. This is not the only issue on their plate. However he would like to meet with Xena, chapalafan, bwhite1948, bennie and giltner to get their input. How about a table at Dona Lolas Sunday at 10 a.m.?

A list of "Pueblos Magicos" from the official SECTUR site.
How many of them have people in this discussion visited before? Sometimes context is important.
Listado de Pueblos Mágicos
1. Real de Asientos, Ags
2. Todos Santos, B.C.S.
3. Palizada, Camp.
4. Parras de la Fuente, Coah.
5. Comala, Col.
6. San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chis.
7. Creel, Chih.
8. Dolores Hidalgo, Gto.
9. Taxco, Gro.
10. Real del Monte, Hgo.
11. Huasca de Ocampo, Hgo.
12. Mazamitla, Jal.
13. Tapalpa, Jal.
14. Tequila, Jal.
15. Malinalco, Méx.
16. Tepotzotlán, Méx.
17. Valle de Bravo, Méx.
18. Cuitzeo, Mich.
19. Pátzcuaro, Mich.
20. Sta. Clara del Cobre, Mich.
21. Tlalpujahua, Mich.
22. Tepoztlán, Mor.
23. Santiago, N. L.
24. Capulálpam de Méndez, Oax.
25. Cuetzalan del Progreso, Pue.
26. Zacatlán, Pue.
27. Bernal, Qro.
28. Jalpan de Serra, Qro.
29. Bacalar, Q. Roo
30. Real de Catorce, S.L.P.
31. Cosalá, Sin.
32. El Fuerte, Sin.
33. Álamos, Son.
34. Tapijulapa, Tab.
35. Mier, Tamps.
36. Huamantla, Tlax.
37. Coatepec, Ver.
38. Izamal, Yuc.
39. Jeréz de García Salinas, Zac.
40. Teúl de González Ortega, Zac.
41. Mineral del Chico, Hgo.
42. Tlayacapan, Morelos
43. Cadereyta de Montes, Qro.
44. Tula, Tamaulipas
45. El Oro, Edomex
46. Xico, Veracruz
47. San Sebastián del Oeste, Jalisco
48. Xilitla, San Luis Potosí
49. Mineral de Pozos, Guanajuato
50. Sombrerete, Zacatecas
51. Mineral de Angangueo, Mich.
52. Cuatro Ciénegas, Coah.
53. Magdalena de Kino, Son.
54. Pahuatlán, Pue.
55. Loreto, B.C.S.
56. Valladolid, Yucatán
57. Metepec, Edomex
58. Comitán, Chiapas
59. Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas
60. Huichapan, Hidalgo
61. Tequisquiapan, Querétaro
62. Batopilas, Chihuahua
63. Chignahuapan, Puebla
64. Cholula, Puebla
65. Pino, Zacatecas
66. Lagos de Moreno, Jalisco
67. Tacámbaro, Michoacán
68. Calvillo, Aguascalientes
69. Nochistlán, Zacatecas
70. Jiquilpan, Michoacán
71. Tlatlauquitepec, Puebla
72. Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán
73. Mapimí, Durango
74. Papantla, Veracruz
75. Tecate, Baja California
76. Arteaga, Coahuila
77. Viesca, Coahuila
78. Jalpa, Guanajuato
79. Salvatierra, Guanajuato
80. Yuriria, Guanajuato
81. Xicotepec, Puebla
82. Jala, Nayarit
83. El Rosario, Sinaloa

Bennie: Our computer club meets there once per week. Its West of Ajijic and across the street from the Waffle House and the car wash. Because I have a US keyboard, I can not put a ~ over the n in the Word Don~a Lola. which is the name of the restaurant and of Salvador's wife. They are the owners and Salvador was part of the restaurant Salvador's in Ajijic.

I don´t see what helpful information I might have for Harry Bublin other than expressing the viewpoint of someone interested in the future of Lakeside which includes Ajijic. I did not know of Pueblo Magico or that Ajijic was interested in gaining that status until the previous thread was started.

If Harry feels spending time on Sunday morning with me and the others listed is helpful in some way, I will rearrange my schedule and be there. I thank Harry for the invitation.

sorry, i dont know car washes, or waffles, or even the name of the town. i have no way of getting there. if someone wants to get in touch w/me for transport maybe thats an option. other than that i am useless.

ChrisB: I am curious as to the reasoning used in selecting these five people to meet with Harry. A lot of people had input here. For such a meeting my choices would have included Alex, Satnrose and Hansi. They had good questions, a sincere interest and were articulate. So, why the five selected (including one whose name has not appeared in this thread nor in the first one on this topic)?

Sorry, I love Mexíco, and I love living here for the past 9 years. I don't see any of these towns as being Pueblos Magicos. There's nothing really old here representing things most people come to Mexíco to see. Yes, there are some nice malecons. Yes, there are nice and even wonderful people. Magíco in terms of what these towns befitting the term represent, probably not.

ChrisB: I am curious as to the reasoning used in selecting these five people to meet with Harry. A lot of people had input here. For such a meeting my choices would have included Alex, Satnrose and Hansi. They had good questions, a sincere interest and were articulate. So, why the five selected (including one whose name has not appeared in this thread nor in the first one on this topic)?

Xena, I'm comfortable with any contributions you might have. If you can arrange the time and are willing, then go.

He just would like to meet with those who might have some alternate insights. He is willing to give his time. Bennie Dona Lola is right on the main bus route. But, if you wish he will come pick you up. He is that interested in your ideas!

HANSI, the walmart comment came from a Chapala official. No other reasoning was given for Chapala's application not being successful. Walmart is in the municipality of Chapala. Ajijic's application will be for the village of Ajijic only.

Perhaps some of the things that Chapala has done to inprove it's situation, with the help of the Chapala residents, we can get them to do for Ajijic to improve our possibility of a successful application?

Archived