Chapala.com Webboard

Peso/Dollar

I went to the Santander in Chapala yesterday and got 12.8. I knew it should have been13 or more and today I went to the Scotia and got 13.3. These were both with the same B of A card. No more Santander for me.

I went to the Santander in Chapala yesterday and got 12.8. I knew it should have been13 or more and today I went to the Scotia and got 13.3. These were both with the same B of A card. No more Santander for me.

The dollar is climbing rapidly the last week. I got 12 at Banorte last Sat. Expect it to move fast and one day may make a difference.

They are not my favorite either...but in this case I would bet they are not the culprit.

The exchange rate is set by your own bank and / or the Interac / Cirrus / Plus ATM network, and there is about 1/2 to 1 day lag in seeing the change at the ATM's in my experience.

As you say the rate jumped a lot yesterday; most ATM's would not have given it yesterday, however.

Got 13.32 @ Scotia Bank ATM today. (B of A -USA customer) Santanter has a charged fee on our B of A -ATM withdrawals. I have checked with the Santander Management. Disregard it if Santander and B of A have a business arrangement. TSantander charges a fee here

I wired several thousand, US, from my Seattle Bank of America Account to Actinver's Bank of America account in Concordia, California on Thursday. The funds were transferred to pesos early this Friday morning and showed up on my Ajijic Actinver on-line statement. The statement shows that I got an exchange rate of exactly 13.25 to 1.

Gosh if I had sent it a couple of days/weeks earlier I could have gotten less than 12.5 to 1

I stand corrected, I was orginially charged a fee by Santander with an ATM withdrawal using my B of A account. The fee/charge was corrected by B of A and my account was credited. As was already mentioned by several posters, Satander does not charge fees for ATM withdrawals from B of A accounts.

However, my fav place for ATM withdrawals is still Scotia near Walmart for several reasons.

* no fee charge

* ya get a decent exchange rate

* screen ATM instructions are in both English / Spanish

* ATM uses "card swipe" method (while remote, "card eating" ATM machines can really ruin your day!)

* security guarded area with high visibility

* centrally located for most Ajijic area residents

You have it backwards. I just went to Yahoo and they posted that one US dollar will purchase $ 1.0458 Canadian dollars.

Replying to El Saltos, who wrote:

Say what? Your loonie is worth $1.04USD and you're complaining? You may be confused or YMMV.

The C$ is still up relative to the MXN P vs a couple of weeks ago. If peso changes much more relative to either C$ or US$ a good time to buy a car here or other big ticket items.

Archived