Chapala.com Webboard

Another 'Lost City' Discovered; This One In Mexico

mikewlig

Cool. Thanks for posting! The Mayan art, society and ruins are fascinating. I find the ones that have not been entirely cleared to be far more evocative than the scrubbed and antiseptic big tourist sites like Chichen Itza. Looking forward to checking this one out in a decade or so!

There are 3 or 4 others that were discovered within the last couple of years and many that have not had much work done on them. It will take a long time and lots of money to work on them. I agree the partially dug out ones are much more interesting and now that they writing has been deciphered it is absolutely fascinating.

I visit ToninĂ¡ every year and I learn new things every year as the anthropologists find new information and that can be said of all of the ruins that are being worked on. It is just fascinating. That leaves lots of work to be done and lots of new information for the upcoming generations.

Very interesting. We were in the region visiting Calakmul, south of where this new site seems to be, in 2010. It's possible that there was some relationshipi with Calakmul, either through marriage or political alliance, though in the story of the Maya there are many cases when alliances collapsed or re-arranged themselves. Calakmul is not very far from where it appears Chactun is located.

Here's another link to another story about the site with a video that's worth watching (though it's in Spanish).

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-maya-ruins-city-chactun-mexico-discovered-yucatan-20130621,0,4153793.story

Thanks for posting this--N.

Archived