Chapala.com Webboard

One entry +ermenante Visa

I have the "pre-approved" Permanenta Visa in my passport that is good for ONE entry until November 13, 2013. I'm coming down July 3 and will be at the Chapala immigration office on July 4. Since I already qualified for the Permanenta Visa at the Mexican Embassy in DC and paid the fee of about $34.00 USD, what will be involved in Chapala to get the cards? Another form to fill out?...another payment?...pictures? ...financially requalify?...and the $64,000 question, how long will it take to get the card? Is this treated like a renewal? Any guidance would be appreciated.

We have friends who will be at the DC Embassy to get their permanente in July and I am thinking about going there for my Temporal. I am interested in the questions and answers to your post.

Also just for everyone's information what was required at the Embassy? Did they take your fingerprints? I have contacted 3 consulates all which require different combinations of paperwork and monetary amounts and number of visits. Detroit, Dallas and Indianapolis. I am still trying to get through Laredo by phone. The goal is to do it while travelling without backtracking. It may not work that way and DC if done in a day might be best.

One thing I will note for you all is that the income requirements for a temporal is anywhere from $1600 to $1950. And the permenente has been $2600 to $2900.

As of three weeks ago at the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC it was a somewhat straightforward process.

1. If an individual you have to provide bank statements for one year showing monthly deposits of at least $2500 per month........not sure about the requirement for a married couple......this can't be working income...only pension, retirement, annuity, etc, but if you are married they will require a marriage certificate to copy.

3. If you don't have the required monthly income then they want to see a brokerage or bank statement that shows a minimum of a 95k balance.

4. You will need one passport type picture that they will attach to the application.

5. They will take electronic fingerprints (no ink)

6. They will take a picture for the Visa in your passport.

7. The fee is $34 USD

8. They require you to leave your passport with them.

You then have to go back the next day and get your Visa......they will make you check to be sure that everything is correct, and sign your application affirming that.

This is only good for one entrance into the country......you then have to go to immigration in Chapala to get the 'green" cards that allow you to come and go as you please.......apparently it's a little dysfunctional in Chapala and I haven't been through that step yet......but will start the card process on July 4.

Apparently the whole process is dysfunctional and the old adage "on any given day" comes to mind. I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing let alone being in contact with the brain, and reliable, consistent documented information any level is as rare as hen's teeth. I'll update this post and let everyone know my experience as it unfolds......In my opinion, the immigration issue is still in it's formation stage subject to change at any time, and interpretation by local offices....we'll see. The reality that I found out at the DC Embassy is that immigration controls the whole process and they admitted that they really don't know what happens locally. If anyone has something to contribute that would make it easier (or in the alternative, more predictable) please feel free to contribute....Thanks to all.

Apparently the whole process is dysfunctional and the old adage "on any given day" comes to mind. I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing let alone being in contact with the brain, and reliable, consistent documented information any level is as rare as hen's teeth. I'll update this post and let everyone know my experience as it unfolds......In my opinion, the immigration issue is still in it's formation stage subject to change at any time, and interpretation by local offices....we'll see. The reality that I found out at the DC Embassy is that immigration controls the whole process and they admitted that they really don't know what happens locally. If anyone has something to contribute that would make it easier (or in the alternative, more predictable) please feel free to contribute....Thanks to all.

Chapala seems to be the only place your statement applies to so far. All others report a Residente Permanente card in hand in 6 weeks or less lately, with the exception of Mexico City.

It appears some peopleĀ“s application fell between the cracks in Chapala 6 months ago because they at the beginning of the year stopped sending the applications to head office INM in Mexico City and processed them at local INM offices. Also Chapala has more Expats that the other offices, except Mexico City offices, and probably more incompetent employees that other offices, it appears. A unique situation and definitely not the norm. as reported by hundreds of Expats around the country.

Archived