Chapala.com Webboard

Those jalapeno tortas in the Joco market

sparks

Used to love those Saturday morning tortas filled with crema and jalapeno but don't live in Joco any more. Tried a spread of crema and jalapeno and the spread was good but didn't penetrate the torta like the ones I bought. Special torta or preparation?

At the risk of starting another "Costco Favorites" forum.....I think you might also like the giant Tassos olives stuffed with garlic & jalapenos they carry......amazing. They seem to be out of stock a lot....

Thanks jokers but simple as these "sandwiches" sound .... they were special. Saturday only and gone by 10-11

I hope that wasn't a glass jar of olives I have no interest in ..... glass or olives

You've missed a treat

The new coffee shop/restaurant at the former Mom's Restaurant in Riberas has many kinds of torta's and they also have the best lasagna too, also many desserts. Their name is El Kiosko and they have a "Games" theme. They have lots of games you can play like Rumicube, Sequence, etc and have nice tables and comfortable chairs.

They just brought in tamales today and they were also very good. They even serve beer & wine.

Highly recommend.

maw

Please, what is the difference between a telera and a bolillo?

Telera is a soft bread. It is consumed in central Mexico, to make Tortas. Bolillo is a crusty bread. It is consumed in the state of Jalisco and is used to make Lonches. And yet, there is a bread called Birote consumed mainly in GDL -Superlake sell it-. This bread is too crispy, but thicker and a little salty.

Please, what is the difference between a telera and a bolillo?

To expand a bit on what tacossa wrote: telera is the bread traditionally used to make tortas, even today. It's a soft, flattish individual loaf, just the right size and thickness for one sandwich. If you look at a telera, you'll see that it is shaped like a wide oval with two slashes from end to end, forming a three-part individual loaf. The word 'telera' means shuttle, and that's what a telera is shaped to remind us of: a weaver's shuttle.

The bolillo is, as tacossa wrote, a crustier and denser loaf, pointed on the ends. Traditionally it was made with a knob on each end, the 'ears' of the bread. You don't see that detail at Lake Chapala, but we do still see it made that way in Mexico City and in most other parts of the country. It's not just a Jalisco bread--far from it! You at Lake Chapala are very, very fortunate that traditional bolillo is readily available there. In many parts of Mexico, it is disappearing and difficult to find. The so-called bolillo found at Wal-Mart, Soriana, and other large supermarkets is NOT traditional bolilo, nor is it worth eating if honest bolillo is what you are looking for. Its crust shatters and the crumb is like cotton batting. I believe that many if not most abarrotes (small neighborhood grocery stores) at Lake Chapala still stock bolillo, particularly in the mornings. Look for an individual loaf, pointed at each end, lightly dusted with flour, dense in internal texture, crusty (but not too crusty), and completely delicious. If you want a real treat, go up to the bakery just off the carretera--the one with the 'PAN' sign on the corner of its callejon--at the time when the bolillo is coming out of the oven. Hot, yeasty, floury--you'll be an instant addict.

Birote is a saltier version of bolillo, much more pointed on the ends. It's traditionally used to make tortas ahogadas, because the texture stands up well to the sauce of the sandwich. Generally it isn't eaten as bread for the table, but is reserved for tortas ahogadas.

Archived