Chapala.com Webboard

Valid NOB License Tags/Plates - Needed or Not?

Ezzie

OK, seals the deal. I went ahead and renewed my registration in Ontario since I am here and could do it. Heading back to Lakeside with it this weekend.

Thank you all for your input.

We´re from Ontario too, and whenever we renew our vehicle sticker (registration) we have to have full insurance, and depending on the age and make of the car (and one´s location in Ontario, eg., rural or urban) produce evidence of having passed an emission test.

We kept an Ontario plated car in the Puerto Vallarta área from 2001 until the present, and its last sticker was 2004 (last renewal was 2003). Nobody has ever questioned our staledated sticker, not even transitos looking for a bribe.

If we could have paid only the registration fee without having to have it insured in Ontario as well as Mexico, and without having to drive the vehicle back to Ontario every two years for an emission test, we would have probably kept our registration current. But we couldn´t, so we didn´t

We´re from Ontario too, and whenever we renew our vehicle sticker (registration) we have to have full insurance, and depending on the age and make of the car (and one´s location in Ontario, eg., rural or urban) produce evidence of having passed an emission test.

We kept an Ontario plated car in the Puerto Vallarta área from 2001 until the present, and its last sticker was 2004 (last renewal was 2003). Nobody has ever questioned our staledated sticker, not even transitos looking for a bribe.

If we could have paid only the registration fee without having to have it insured in Ontario as well as Mexico, and without having to drive the vehicle back to Ontario every two years for an emission test, we would have probably kept our registration current. But we couldn´t, so we didn´t

I agree. My renewal was due June 30 and since I am in Ontario and just heading back down, I decided I might as well renew for two years. Got the e-test done and have an insurance policy still on it. When I get Lakeside, I will just suspend the liability coverage and keep the comprehensive in effect so I keep the policy open. I expect to be travelling back & forth a couple of times in the next 2 years so it is easy just to phone my insurance agent and have him activate the liability coverage for a month when I am going into USA and Canada. At least I feel better knowing everything is "legal" for now. 2 years down the road I will be close to going Permanente so will have to get it back to Canada then anyway unless something changes between now and then ("J" VIN'd car).

I have had my Ontario registered vehicle in Ajijic for 5 years. I, obviously, could not keep the licence plate renewed as this would require an emissions test done in Ontario. I am considering naturalizing the vehicle when we apply for our permanante in October of this year. Two things bother me about this:

1) somewhere I heard that your plates must be current in order to nationalize. Is this correct?

2) I also heard that when you renew your FM3 you must advise Aduana of the renewal in order to keep your TIP valid. I have had a couple of renewals and did not know I had to do this. Does this mean I will not be able to nationalize as the records would not show a continual FM3 renewal?

The more I read the more confused I become!!!!!

2) I also heard that when you renew your FM3 you must advise Aduana of the renewal in order to keep your TIP valid. I have had a couple of renewals and did not know I had to do this.

...but if your TIP has expired, how are you going to convince the authorities that your car is still legal in the interim?

It was my understanding, correct or not, that the TIP was valid as long as the FM3 was valid. I knew nothing about advising Aduana of each renewal. I also remember reading somewhere on this board that Spencer (I think) had a copy of a paper you could carry in your car explaining the section of the law that says the TIP automatically renewed with the FM3. This in case you were stopped by cops who either didn't know the law or chose to pretend they didn't! I actually don't have a copy in my car and luckily, have never been stopped.

It was my understanding, correct or not, that the TIP was valid as long as the FM3 was valid. I knew nothing about advising Aduana of each renewal. I also remember reading somewhere on this board that Spencer (I think) had a copy of a paper you could carry in your car explaining the section of the law that says the TIP automatically renewed with the FM3. This in case you were stopped by cops who either didn't know the law or chose to pretend they didn't! I actually don't have a copy in my car and luckily, have never been stopped.

INM does not notify ADUANA of your FM3 renewal dates, it is your responsibility if you want the TIP to not be cancelled 15 to 45 days after the expiration date of the last time ADUANA had your information as to your legal residence in Mexico.

Many Expats have turned in expired TIPs at the border recently with no questions asked and no fines and have gotten receipts.

Best to get a 5 day safe return permit, no cost at ADUANA but evidently recently harder to get now, at least in Jalisco.

Many Expats didn´t bother to get one when driving to the border and when turning in their TIP were not asked to show one, so far.

INM does not notify ADUANA of your FM3 renewal dates, it is your responsibility if you want the TIP to not be cancelled 15 to 45 days after the expiration date of the last time ADUANA had your information as to your legal residence in Mexico.

Many Expats have turned in expired TIPs at the border recently with no questions asked and no fines and have gotten receipts.

Best to get a 5 day safe return permit, no cost at ADUANA but evidently recently harder to get now, at least in Jalisco.

Many Expats didn´t bother to get one when driving to the border and when turning in their TIP were not asked to show one, so far.

Excellent comments!! Sometime we all worry too much.

Archived