Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Driver's License - Needed or Not??

Ezzie

S&S Auto is VERY busy nationalizing. Karen is the contact there, I spoke to her 2 weeks ago to get a price. She said they were only doing 5 cars per week in order to keep it manageable. We would be number 54 in the pipeline! She sends a copy of your title to the border to get a price, it take about a week to get an answer. She does not break it down for you. Bottom line, our 2005 Town & Country will be 25,000-26,000 pesos to nationalize without plates. They were helping to get the plates, but no more so you go on your own.

* no mention what so ever of what type of drivers license required (MX , USA etc)

Quote from Ajijic today

The broker we are working with states Aduana at the border wants a Mexican driver's license to nationalize regardless which visa one has. I am not saying this is the case everywhere but if you are nationalizing you may want to ask if MX driver's license is required.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It will be interesting to hear your experience when applying for Jalisco Plates without a Mexican facilitator- will they require a Mexican Jalisco Drivers License ?

I am wondering if SS Auto will come back and ask for a Mexican driver's license as ours has?

Also, as I noted earlier, is SS auto removing the car permit from Audana's computers and getting back deposit's if paid?

We are all in a steep learning curve.

Privado in the past people bought cars with FMM's. If one must have a Mexican driver's license those with a FMM will not be able to buy a car. One must have a visa to get a MX driver's license.

What about my snowbird friends who come down for 4 or 5 months as renters every winter? A few are getting older and the drive from Ontario is getting a bit much for them.

They contemplate flying down this year and then buying (and storing) a Mexican plated car for when they are here. They have no interest or need in becoming Residente Permanentes or even Temporals; they will have tourist visas issued when they land at GDL.

Are they going to have to get a Mexican driver's license to own a Mexican plated car here?

....in the past people bought cars with FMM's. If one must have a Mexican driver's license those with a FMM will not be able to buy a car. One must have a visa to get a MX driver's license.

Brother! You can buy a HOUSE here on an FMM! Or you could years ago (I did).

My friends thought by staying on FMMs (all they need for a 4 month rental) that they were safely out of the INM morass.

But, if they can't buy a MXN car because they can't get a MXN license without getting at least a Temporal, they may decide to find a vacation spot outside of MX.

I am wondering if SS Auto will come back and ask for a Mexican driver's license as ours has?

Also, as I noted earlier, is SS auto removing the car permit from Audana's computers and getting back deposit's if paid?

We are all in a steep learning curve.

Privado in the past people bought cars with FMM's. If one must have a Mexican driver's license those with a FMM will not be able to buy a car. One must have a visa to get a MX driver's license.

Think it's like everything in transition for future

-Don't think car dealers are going to allow that to change- Buy the Car pay cash----dealer doesn't care when you face the consequences or discover you can't get insurance or need to change your visa status

It took me all of 15 minutes to get my Mexican drivers licence in San Vicente, which is just outside of Mezcales in Nayarit. Brought copies of permanent resident card, valid Canadian driver's license, electric bill, and passport. They take the photo right there, print and laminate the card. Didn't have to take any test, written or driving. We got there after closing time (they close at 2, but opened the doors for us). Was the easiest, most painless and efficient beaurocratic (sp?) thing I have ever experienced here. They processed 3 of us in 30 minutes. 560 pesos, good for 3 years. Don't know if it's the same in other states or offices.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many responses to read for such a simple solution. Just get your Mexican license. Why not?? I do NOT need to have it, but since I spend a great deal of time here, I got it. It only cost about $50 US, and you feel good about it. AND, Mexican police will treat you differently because you went through the trouble of trying to learn the laws.

Forget about the what the laws are. Even if you are not REQUIRED, just DO IT!! It won't kill you.

And, by the way, I stated in another post, I got my license in Ciuhatlain (spelling???) , South of San Patricio Melaque on the Pacific Coast, and it was a very pleasant experience. I took a written test only, since I have a valid U.S. license, but IO heard that the driving test is very easy!! NO MORDIDAS required!!

Good luck!!

Archived