Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Driver's License - Needed or Not??

Ezzie

OK, I'm getting confused. I have a Jalisco plated car that I have been driving around with for the past 18 months. I have a valid and up-to-date Ontario driver's licence and a Residente Temporal status.

Do I need to have a Mexican driver's license - Yes or No?

Relative to this topic, I am going to get my Mexican licence later in the summer, I hope! I have a current Cdn. licence. Do I need to take the driving exam? Does anyone have a list of questions asked, or a rough idea of what kind of questions? Gracias.

Relative to this topic, I am going to get my Mexican licence later in the summer, I hope! I have a current Cdn. licence. Do I need to take the driving exam? Does anyone have a list of questions asked, or a rough idea of what kind of questions? Gracias.

Check out this thread:

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=42498&hl=%2Bdriver%26%2339%3Bs+%2Blicense#entry328110

OK, I'm getting confused. I have a Jalisco plated car that I have been driving around with for the past 18 months. I have a valid and up-to-date Ontario driver's licence and a Residente Temporal status.

Do I need to have a Mexican driver's license - Yes or No?

That is a good question. I have checked the 2 websites with regulations to register a vehicle in the 2 states I live in and they state only a valid driver´s license is required, not a valid license from their state is required. In the section also their road law states only "a" valid driver´s license is required.

In Calif. it is very clear if you reside in the state for 6 months a valid California driver´s license is required also you need to register your out of state vehicle there after or before 6 months.

Here in parts of Mexico I presume there in no rule stating you require a state driver´s license from the state your car is registered in or you reside in, at least in some states.

I change my answer... is that allowed? :-) No you do not. Expats come here and buy cars with a FMM and obviously no Mexican driver's license as you need a visa for a MXN license.

Great detailed clarifciation on Calif. and other states rulings concerning if a valid drivers license is required.

However, one small detail that does not apply here. We are talking about drivers license required for the county of Mexico. USA state laws have absolutely nothing to do (or applies to) any requirements that applies to Mexico.

Stating what the various laws are for the USA is a complete waste of time posting on this website and will just confuse the issues and pass on more "misinformation"

Great detailed clarifciation on Calif. and other states rulings concerning if a valid drivers license is required.

However, one small detail that does not apply here. We are talking about drivers license required for the county of Mexico. USA state laws have absolutely nothing to do (or applies to) any requirements that applies to Mexico.

Stating what the various laws are for the USA is a complete waste of time posting on this website and will just confuse the issues and pass on more "misinformation"

If you would have taken the time you would have realized I live in Mexico in 2 states, check my profile and

under the tigers. Thanks for your detailed analysis of the situation.

Jalisco rules to register a used vehicle.

3. States an INM visa is needed, It doesn´t state what classification is acceptable.

7. States a valid ID and has in brackets 3 IDs they accept: Valid official identification (IFE, passport, driver's license). I presume one ID is needed not all 3. Also passport would probably be a Mexican passport. Also it doesn´t specify what driver´s license is required, only "Driver´s License".

Does requirement 3 make requirement 7 not needed by INM visa holders and requirement 7 is for Mexican nationals "only".

http://capturaportal.jalisco.gob.mx/wps/portal/pj/tramitesyservicios/catalogodetramites/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3ifEB8PY68gIwN_Ex9jAyM3fx9HlyBXAxNTA6B8JE55ICCgOxxkH14V-OTB5oPkDXAARwN9P4_83FT9gtwIg8yAdEUAE1s4oQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfTFRMSDNKUjIwTzIwQTAyVkpMS0RTRjM2ODI!/

Change of ownership of used vehicles of particular service. [Particular service means personal, non-commercial use]

Requirements:

Everything that is needed.

1. Constitutive Act if moral person (entity) and power of attorney.

Submit 1 copy, 0 originals.

Two. Proof of address not older than 90 days (Electricity, Telephone, Bank Statement).

Submit 1 copy, 1 original.

Three. A document certifying the legal stay in the country (if foreigner).

Four. Receipted invoice for the new owner, transfer date and signature of the seller.

Five. Official identification of the proxy and proxy grantor and simple when the procedure is conducted by a third party.

Six. Official identification of the legal representative.

Seven. Valid official identification (IFE, passport, driver's license).

Eight. Circulation card, plate number or last payment receipt or possession endorsement.

Cambio de propietario de vehiculos usados de servicio particular.

Requisitos
  • Acta constitutiva en caso de persona moral (jurídica) y poder del representante legal.
    Presentar 1 copia, 0 originales.
  • Comprobante de domicilio con una antigüedad no mayor a 90 días (Luz, Teléfono, Estado de cuenta bancaria).
    Presentar 1 copia, 1 original.
  • Documento que acredite la legal estancia en el país (en caso de vehículos extranjeros).
  • Factura endosada a favor del nuevo propietario, fecha de enajenación y firma del vendedor.
  • Identificación oficial del apoderado y otorgante y carta poder simple cuando el trámite se realice por un tercero.
  • Identificación oficial del representante legal.
  • Identificación oficial vigente (IFE, Pasaporte, Licencia de conducir).
  • Tarjeta de circulación, número de placas o último recibo de pago de refrendo o tenencia.

I really don't understand why people, mainly Canadians are fixated on NOT getting a Mexican Drivers License-???So much talk, talk, talk and denial for such a simple issue- a Driver License

Just because Jalisco law quoted above doesn't say "Jalisco Drivers License" The law is written for residents of Jalisco-

Use some common sense-Live in Mexico , drive a Mexican Plated car- your Mexican Insurance Carrier probably demands a Mexican Drivers License, since you are a resident of the state of Jalisco -why would you not have a Jalisco License?

With the new INM Perm Visa's requiring your vehicle to be nationalized in Mexico or removed-You are now a Permanent legal resident of Mexico--- Law requires you have Mexican Liability Insurance- if you have an accident and do not have a Mexican Drivers License - Ins. Co would probably try to refuse to pay damages

It's so simple- Take the Jalisco test ---It's so easy- I'm already 2 yrs into my renwal- get the license and you can still keep your home country's license at home safe and secure.

PS I need to renew my Calif Drivers License-which expires after 8 yrs- have had the same number since I was 15 just read their requirements -and must appear for a vision test - even tho I have a Mexican License will go to visit family and take the test

Also- I rent a car when in Calif using my Mexican License- If you get stopped by police - they usually let you go- if they write a ticket - they just laugh and say YOU don"'t need to pay since you don't live in this country

I really don't understand why people, mainly Canadians are fixated on NOT getting a Mexican Drivers License-???So much talk, talk, talk and denial for such a simple issue- a Driver License

Just because Jalisco law quoted above doesn't say "Jalisco Drivers License" The law is written for residents of Jalisco-

Use some common sense-Live in Mexico , drive a Mexican Plated car- your Mexican Insurance Carrier probably demands a Mexican Drivers License, since you are a resident of the state of Jalisco -why would you not have a Jalisco License?

With the new INM Perm Visa's requiring your vehicle to be nationalized in Mexico or removed-You are now a Permanent legal resident of Mexico--- Law requires you have Mexican Liability Insurance- if you have an accident and do not have a Mexican Drivers License - Ins. Co would probably try to refuse to pay damages

It's so simple- Take the Jalisco test ---It's so easy- I'm already 2 yrs into my renwal- get the license and you can still keep your home country's license at home safe and secure.

PS I need to renew my Calif Drivers License-which expires after 8 yrs- have had the same number since I was 15 just read their requirements -and must appear for a vision test - even tho I have a Mexican License will go to visit family and take the test

Also- I rent a car when in Calif using my Mexican License- If you get stopped by police - they usually let you go- if they write a ticket - they just laugh and say YOU don"'t need to pay since you don't live in this country

It sounds like you are just guessing. My Mexican Insurance Carrier certainly doesn't demand a Mexican driver's license. I've never heard of one that does.

I purchased a new car last year and have insured it twice through Parker insurance using 2 different underwriters and was never asked if I had a Jelisco drivers license which I didn't have at the time. Although, I don't believe it necessary, but electiing to err on the side of caution, I now have, as of yesterday, a Jalisco license,

I find two things interesting:

1. The insurance agents may not care. They want the commission. The underwriters may care, but say nothing until too late for you to collect.

2. Some lawyers are woefully uninformed, but will still take your money.

So, you have two choices:

1. Common sense, based on what is the case in your home country, and other countries.

2. Listening to what you want to hear.

It sounds like you are just guessing. My Mexican Insurance Carrier certainly doesn't demand a Mexican driver's license. I've never heard of one that does.

Have foreign plates on your car- ?? not required as your INS is for a foreign vehicle- as long as you are a temp resident

My agent Parker- has never asked me about my drivers license since I fist bought the policy-my car has Calif plates and my Insurance is for a foreign plated car- and I still have 2 more yrs on my newly renewed Temporal Visa.

But learned my lesson---1st yr here -my wallet was stolen in a home burglary -next day while driving to GDL was stopped by police- had only a photo copy of my Calif license (not legal) -he asked for my Mexican Drivers License- he had the right to impound my car since I did not have any valid Drivers License- I paid the price

I got a Mexican Drivers License the following week and then replaced my Calif License -now have 2 just in case...

You're not new here --whats your excuse for not having a Mexican Drivers License??

Laws have changed-if you're driving a Mexican plated vehicle -ask your insurance agent what happens if you are in an accident and you do not have a Mexican Drivers License---- waiting to hear the answer..........

OK, got my answer. I drive both a Jalisco plated car AND an Ontario plated SUV. Both are insured with Qualitas (one on a Mexican policy, the other on a Tourist policy). I have no issue with getting a Mexican driver's licence but in my case I have to travel to Ocotlan to take the test since I live in the Municipio de Poncitlan and Chapala won't let me take it at their office. Just one more little thing to take care of so I can have some peace of mind and get back to enjoying this beautiful country!!

Have foreign plates on your car- ?? not required as your INS is for a foreign vehicle- as long as you are a temp resident

My agent Parker- has never asked me about my drivers license since I fist bought the policy-my car has Calif plates and my Insurance is for a foreign plated car- and I still have 2 more yrs on my newly renewed Temporal Visa.

But learned my lesson---1st yr here -my wallet was stolen in a home burglary -next day while driving to GDL was stopped by police- had only a photo copy of my Calif license (not legal) -he asked for my Mexican Drivers License- he had the right to impound my car since I did not have any valid Drivers License- I paid the price

I got a Mexican Drivers License the following week and then replaced my Calif License -now have 2 just in case...

You're not new here --whats your excuse for not having a Mexican Drivers License??

Laws have changed-if you're driving a Mexican plated vehicle -ask your insurance agent what happens if you are in an accident and you do not have a Mexican Drivers License---- waiting to hear the answer..........

I was in an accident earlier this year (not my fault) and no one cared that I had a Mexican plated car and an Ontario drivers licence. The police didn't care and the insurance company paid the claim. There was not a single problem.

For the people my wife is assisting in nationalizing cars without driving to the border, the broker needs a scanned copy of Mexican driver's license or IFE. Interesting.

This nationalization of cars just gets crazier and crazier. S&S Auto is doing nationalization of cars and here's their program

* the usual orginial docs. & passport, FM3 etc.

* pay money upfront (my estimation 26,000 p's)

* must have current USA plated car with emissions inspection before sign-up (no more than 90 days old from time of nationalization sign-up

* no mention what so ever of what type of drivers license required (MX , USA etc)

From an famous movie, "so Richie, what's the story"?

In SMA it is 16,000 to 25,000 p depending on year. We send a copy of the title to the broker at the border to get an exact price before any payment. Much of the payment goes into an Aduana HSBC bank account. A person does not need to leave their home to do this.

Documents required are title, utility bill with address (not necessarily in your name) and government issued photo ID. All done via scans and emails. Request as noted was MX driver's license or IFE but will check soon to see if visa can replace this. So far no emissions test request.

We have 9 waiting but doing one first to ensure it works based on all the past problems. This is a government approved process. Receipts issued for everything including bank payment receipt.

Some have completed the process with "chocolates".

Is SS Auto processing deposit refunds from when one entered Mexico? And, are they removing car permit from Aduana's system? I ask as we can not in what we are doing. We are told this requires trip to border.

This nationalization of cars just gets crazier and crazier. S&S Auto is doing nationalization of cars and here's their program

* the usual orginial docs. & passport, FM3 etc.

* pay money upfront (my estimation 26,000 p's)

* must have current USA plated car with emissions inspection before sign-up (no more than 90 days old from time of nationalization sign-up

* no mention what so ever of what type of drivers license required (MX , USA etc)

From an famous movie, "so Richie, what's the story"?

S&S Auto is VERY busy nationalizing. Karen is the contact there, I spoke to her 2 weeks ago to get a price. She said they were only doing 5 cars per week in order to keep it manageable. We would be number 54 in the pipeline! She sends a copy of your title to the border to get a price, it take about a week to get an answer. She does not break it down for you. Bottom line, our 2005 Town & Country will be 25,000-26,000 pesos to nationalize without plates. They were helping to get the plates, but no more so you go on your own.

The broker we are working with states Aduana at the border wants a Mexican driver's license to nationalize regardless which visa one has. I am not saying this is the case everywhere but if you are nationalizing you may want to ask if MX driver's license is required.

What about my snowbird friends who come down for 4 or 5 months as renters every winter? A few are getting older and the drive from Ontario is getting a bit much for them.

They contemplate flying down this year and then buying (and storing) a Mexican plated car for when they are here. They have no interest or need in becoming Residente Permanentes or even Temporals; they will have tourist visas issued when they land at GDL.

Are they going to have to get a Mexican driver's license to own a Mexican plated car here?

Archived