Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Magico designation

Mention has been made that Ajijic is seeking to be named a Pueblo Magico. I understand that special funding comes to communities so named. Just curious... how far along is Ajijic? What needs to be done? What needs to be improved or got rid of? I just read on a Michoacan web board that Patscuaro is supposedly in danger of losing their desgination as a PM because of street vendors in the centro. (not that I believe that...)

Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is being worked on. Not much more to tell. It is true that there are requirements to be met and we are working to meet them as the driving goal is improving the quality of life for village residents.

Here's some information (in Spanish) and a list of the current Pueblos Mágicos from SECTUR (Secretaría de Turismo).
http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb2/sectur/sect_Pueblos_Magicos

Unfortunately the Pueblo Mágico program was substantially watered down during the Calderón government. There are still special requirements to be granted the designation, however, in addition to many requirements for a town to remain in the program.

Regarding the situation in Pátzcuaro, I believe that the information is accurate. Street vendors are not allowed in public plazas of Pueblos Mágicos, and the buildings that about seven-eight years ago were specifically remodeled for the street vendors' use still stand empty. Those buildings are just outside the main tourist areas of Pátzcuaro, enough off the beaten track that tourists would probably be unaware of their presence and not know to visit them.

There are plenty of street vendors in San Cristobal de las Casas and it is a Pueblo Magico so it does not look like the rule if there is such a rule is enforced the same everywhere. I cannot imagine the town being able to totally eradicate the street vendors from the plazas there as they would have another indigenous rebellion for sure. They burried the electric lines in the centro but getting rid off of the street vendors would be a tough job.

Street vendors have been in Mexican plazas since very early colonial times, it seems a shame that such a requirement would be enforced after all these centuries. In fact, the portales (arched open walkways) that are usually found on at least one side of every plaza were placed there by order of King Phillip II of Spain (the guy who sent the Armada against England's Elizabeth I). It was the King's intention that these spaces be used by street vendors so that they could be protected from the rain and hot sun. That is why nearly every Mexican plaza has portales (and street vendors).

Well in San Cristobal the street vendors have taken over the nice plaza around Ex COnvento Santo Domingo, the jardin and the plaza in fron of the cathedral and many streets. The government is scared to start riots if theyremove the indigenous from the street so it is also a huge issue.

They had a world tourist convention which was geared for ecological and adventure tourism, the theme was Mexico Indegenous. They had boothes on the Plaza in front of the Cathedral with various group from around Mexico, mostly indigenous groups but they demanded that all street vendors be removed. They must have paid off the various group leaders as there was no local indigenous selling anywhere in town and some of the vendors I know told me they were forbidden to sell for 3 days... The town was really different without them, in my opinion it was a real shame that none of the locals were allowed to sell.

The vendor issue there is huge , probably for the same reasons as in Patzcuaro.

Actually, if you are in the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City, there is an enormous diorama on the ground floor showing what Cortez and his band would have seen as they entered the city. There are vendors sitting around the pyramids, their wares piled up like pyramids. I just love that exhibit!

They had a world tourist convention which was geared for ecological and adventure tourism, the theme was Mexico Indegenous. .... but they demanded that all street vendors be removed. They must have paid off the various group leaders as there was no local indigenous selling anywhere in town...

Nice irony.

Back to the "Pueblo Magico" topic. The designation used to be really meaningful, but it's been cheapened so much, and is no longer a very select group in my opinion. Holy smokes. I just looked at the list provided above. 83?!!???!!!

Pueblo Magico will give us access to funding and certain protections. There is work to be done and problems to be solved. But, it is for the good of the people of our village.

Pueblo Magico will give us access to funding and certain protections. There is work to be done and problems to be solved. But, it is for the good of the people of our village.

this is all about UN Agenda 21.they use buzz words like "sustainable development" and "green economy" and even "pueblo magico" to hook you on the idea that they are offering the citizenry some improvements from the bottom of their hearts, but it all comes with a cost. who knows if it is "for the good of the people of our village"? they will put on restrictions like "remove the vendors", which is a ploy to further marginalize the alternative economy and force people into corporate business jobs or none at all. like in the USA where you can't even have a lemonade stand or a home barber shop without a slew of permits and zoning restrictions. people up there are only now awakening to an awareness of how many of their rights as human beings have been compromised under the guise of cleanliness, or safety or security--all noble aims,but that can be used as a cudgle to gain control. will we all have to paint our houses in approved colors? all get "smart meters"? sure they're offering funds and permissions and protections,but who will have to live under these new rules? as we remember, the funding for the ajijic plaza was heralded as having funding from the state and federal governments of over 1.5 million pesos and yet the workers were left holding the bag. what do we mean? the government told those workers to pick up the materials from the fereterrias and they would be reimbursed by the government. guess what? the workers now have 300,000p worth of debt that the "new" government tells them "too bad, that was the old government". one of the workers told us that he was owed 25,000p for work....expect more of the same. a frequent visitor to ajijic, john perkins has written an excellent book, "confessions of an economic hitman" that should be on everyone's reading list....

the walkers: this is the reason why i think expats should not get involved w/these issues. graffitti removal in certain areas is fine. (maybe some other small things). in general people do not know how the system works, then harm is done. still its hard to believe these workers would put up the cash upfront.

this is all about UN Agenda 21.they use buzz words like "sustainable development" and "green economy" and even "pueblo magico" to hook you on the idea that they are offering the citizenry some improvements from the bottom of their hearts, but it all comes with a cost. who knows if it is "for the good of the people of our village"? they will put on restrictions like "remove the vendors", which is a ploy to further marginalize the alternative economy and force people into corporate business jobs or none at all. like in the USA where you can't even have a lemonade stand or a home barber shop without a slew of permits and zoning restrictions. people up there are only now awakening to an awareness of how many of their rights as human beings have been compromised under the guise of cleanliness, or safety or security--all noble aims,but that can be used as a cudgle to gain control. will we all have to paint our houses in approved colors? all get "smart meters"? sure they're offering funds and permissions and protections,but who will have to live under these new rules? as we remember, the funding for the ajijic plaza was heralded as having funding from the state and federal governments of over 1.5 million pesos and yet the workers were left holding the bag. what do we mean? the government told those workers to pick up the materials from the fereterrias and they would be reimbursed by the government. guess what? the workers now have 300,000p worth of debt that the "new" government tells them "too bad, that was the old government". one of the workers told us that he was owed 25,000p for work....expect more of the same. a frequent visitor to ajijic, john perkins has written an excellent book, "confessions of an economic hitman" that should be on everyone's reading list....

Amen to all of it. Governments in other towns have told me that the cost TO the town to achieve and maintain Pueblo Mágico status is greater than anything the town might recoup from having that status. Until Mexico cleans up its governmental act--from the smallest towns to the largest cities, from the smallest state to the Distrito Federal--Pueblo Mágico status is just a facade: meaningless.

There was a small Pueblo that did not have a Fire Engine. The people cried out & demanded a Fire Engine for "protection".

The Pueblo bought a Fire Engine , and raised the Taxes to pay for the Fire Engine.

The people revolted! "What! Raise my taxes??"

Please, let us not cry to make Mexico like NOB !!!

I notice that no one has answered the OP´s specific questions regarding Ajijic becoming a Pueblo Magico:

1. How far along is Ajijic?

2. What needs to be done?

3. What needs to be improved or got rid of?

I too would like to hear answers from those who are working on this project.

There was a small Pueblo that did not have a Fire Engine. The people cried out & demanded a Fire Engine for "protection".

The Pueblo bought a Fire Engine , and raised the Taxes to pay for the Fire Engine.

moderator delete

You've lost me here. Pueblo Magico is a Mexican program. And what does it have to do with fire engines?

We already have one of those anyway. :)

Some good points being raised here pro and con. I would not be in favor of anything that runs off our vendors, they are part of Mexico and our village. It might help if someone would detail for us just how this works and what it requires.

Archived