Chapala.com Webboard

Permanenta Visa Car issues

Kimberly and I have purchased a home in the Raquet Club and will be coming down in a few weeks to live. We thought we would get ahead of the power curve and get our Residencia Permanenta beofre the trip (which we did at the Mexican Embassy in DC). Now we understand that neither of our cars can be brought into the country. They are older Mercedes 1997 and 1999 and the Serial numbers begin with WBD. Soooooooooo we have a dilemma.......and are asking for advice from some of the members of this forum.

1. Should we sell both cars and then buy mexican plated cars in Ajijic? What are the IVA tax rates, regstration fees, etc.

2. Should we sell both cars and then buy NAFTA importable cars in the US and then have them nationalized? What are the costs and agravation associated with this?

3. Should we get new shoes and just walk everywhere?

Any help would be geatly appreciated.

John Rogers and Kimberly Campbell

I feel sure everyone will tell you to buy a new or used car here. Cars cost more to buy here for a variety of reasons but importing is expensive as well. Save yourselves the hassle!

I'd go the other way, unless you buy new here. Mexico is hard on cars and they age much faster, so you may well be buying someone else's headache. I've bought two cars NOB coming off 2 year leases, so far I've driven one 130K and it's in storage, the other I have here and have driven 50K and I wouldn't trade either for a MXN car, but that's just me. If you do buy here, Spencer is the way to go.

You've already made the decision on your visa, again I'm swimming upstream, I won't nationalize my car so am returning in Sept to get a new Temporal.

There is no reason to avoid buying a car in Mexico, new or used. There are reputable dealers and car prices are not askew, as many seem to think. US car prices do not include service fees, state and local taxes, undercoating, etc., etc. In Mexico, the advertised price includes everything, sometimes even insurance and delivery to your home. We have purchased a new car and have helped a friend buy a two year old trade-in from a new car dealer. In both cases, everybody was happy and remain so today.

With the new rules and Catch-22 situations, I would suggest that you sell your cars in the USA and buy replacements in Mexico. As permanent residents, you would only have 30 days to use your cars in Mexico anyway. Once your permanent card is issued, they immediately become illegal and the deposit forfeit; a matter the consulates may not be offering as a caution when folks like you apply for visas.

Hmm. I priced a 2005 Honda CRV from the Yucatan. The car was relatively low mileage but has obviously spent way too much time in the sun, the interior was pretty rotted. Asking price, 145,000 pesos, sold for that in less than a week.

That car might bring $7K in Texas.

For new cars, it rather depends on the exchange rate at the time you buy. A new CRV of the same model we drive now is $32K at the current exchange rate. When tax figured in, in Texas, true not that different. But the new CRV doesn't perform or handle as well as the older ones because the suspension has been lowered and softened and the gearing made taller to try and squeeze a few more mpg out of it. And it weighs more, slowing it down even more.

If you want a RAV4, six cylinder engines are no longer available and the car has been described as a bit of a slug.

The problem comes if you don't have the money to buy new. Used around here is pretty dear. A lot of junk at a pretty high price. At least that is what I've been seeing.

Nevertheless, your suggestion is a very good one but if one has a little time, one might be able to sell a currently registered U.S. car to someone leaving, at a decent price. Otherwise, you are stuck with taking it out.

As for the OP, yes definitely sell those cars up there and buy here. The roads are rough and full of topes, compact sport utes are by far the most popular vehicles here and with good reason. You need a strong suspension and higher ground clearance and you want some hauling capacity for those shopping trips into GDL.

Before we moved here, we looked very carefully at what people were driving most frequently and those were the CRV, the RAV4 and the Nissan X-Trail. I'm starting to see a fair number of Ford Escapes as well. For 2012, they were available with 6 cylinders and they have a little more interior seating room than the CRV, though the handling is more truck like.

If you can afford to buy new or very near new from a reputable branded dealer in GDL, that is the way to go as RV has suggested.

I'd sell both your cars where you are. Then buy another that can be imported and drive down in it with your stuff. I would buy a second car in Mexico.

We have purchased 3 MX plated vehicles and most of it turned out very good and it is so easy to buy vehicles here.

1st one was brand new at 1,000 km the transmission went out and then there started to be more problems.

Took it in and traded it straight across for another used one that had been garaged in Guadalajara from a Dr. Excellent shape, only sold it because a Mx begged me to sell it to him.

So then we bought another used one from a private party and it was from Gtuadalajara and had been garaged and very low mileage.

Except for the first one we have been very happy with our purchases.

Prices are slightly higher and insurance is a bit higher but worth it for no hassles, especially with immigration issues.

Might be cheaper for one to fly down, buy a car and go back up to pick up the other and the stuff. Depends where one is starting from. This would not be hard to do if starting from any of the border states.

And remember, the latest NAFTA car that can be imported is 2007. They may want something newer than this. I've been told there are ways to import new cars but the fees and duties would almost make it cheaper, and a whole lot simpler, to just come down here and buy the car outright. You'll have plates in a matter of several day, the dealer will take care of this for you.

The other advantage, for those who visit NoB, is that there is no car hassle at the border with a Mexican car. Just drive out and back without permits, fees or deposits. One less line to wait for. Just do not forget about insurance.

Wow...Thanks to all who replied so rapidally!!!!!! Having spent time in Ajijic, we are aware of the topes and the cobblestone sidestreets......also the risk of losing outside rearview mirrors if not folded in. We choose the Raquet Club for the fantastic vistas, knowing that walking anywhere would not be an option, and we accepted the "long" 4 kilometers or so drive into "town". I don't think a new car in Ajijic would fare well given the "lay of the land",....it would probably get banged up in no time even with reasonable care.......so I think a smaller used Mexican plated SUV of some type might be the way to go. So far this has really been an adventure of modified plans, surprises that cropped up at the 11th hour, rethinking immigration strategies, etc.etc. We have the Permanenta Visas in our passports and were told to go to immigration in Chapala when we get there to get the card. We already income qualifed, etc. had the fiungerprints taken, pictures, etc. and were told that the card would only take about 3 days with our current status. The interesting part is that the Permanenta Visa in our passports is only good for one entry into the country. O Well.....................Viva Mexico!!!!!!!

The SUV idea has served us very well, as we brought a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE with us in 2001. It is still in fine shape and handles anything Mexico can throw at it, except that J-car thing. We are going to miss it a lot! Strangely, similar Nissans are built and sold right here in Mexico and one of those would solve your problem.

Buena suerte.

I'd sell both your cars where you are. Then buy another that can be imported and drive down in it with your stuff. I would buy a second car in Mexico.

I think this is good advise if you have items you want to bring down yourself, or if you have pets you need to drive down.

It is becoming easier to import cars. People are now having success, legally importing qualifying cars at the airport.

We have the Permanenta Visas in our passports and were told to go to immigration in Chapala when we get there to get the card. We already income qualifed, etc. had the fiungerprints taken, pictures, etc. and were told that the card would only take about 3 days with our current status.

Sorry, but that part's just funny. I'm sure the people at the Mexican Embassy in Washington D.C. were very nice and it sounds like you had an easy experience, so that's great. But they don't likely know what's going on down here on a day to day basis. Anyway....regarding the cars.

If you're in the financial position to simply get rid of those cars up north and buy a Mexican-plated car (or two) when you get here, then great, do it. Leave those hassles NOB. Especially if you're certain you're moving to Mexico for the long haul. But darn those older Mercedes are great cars. They're like tanks.

On the other hand, if you anticipate making a few trips back and forth between here and there in the next year or so, I'd consider keeping at least one of them for a while, and keeping it up there. Wait until you actually see what kind of visa you end up with once you are processed through the system down here. There are anecdotal stories beginning to surface that those "pre-approaved" Residente Permanente Visas are not always being honored, and that people are ending up with something less once they get here.

After arriving here, when you have your real visas in hand, you'll know what to do. This approach may or may not work for you, and requires some flexibility, etc., but it'd be a shame to unload both those cars only to discover a month later you could be driving one of them down here for at least 4 years. Or maybe even permanently importing/nationalizing it. There's still so much stuff up in the air, and things haven't settled into place yet.

So I say, sell one now. Keep the other (up there) for the time being in case it might come in handy later. If things don't turn out that way, have a family member or friend sell it for you up there when you decide to dump it.

Good luck and congratulations and all that jazz!

Travis.......good advice. We were operating under the assumption that it would be a slam dunk since the Permanenta is already in our passports, but we still need the cards. I think what I'm going to do (since I'm coming down by air July 3 and Kimberly won't be done until the end of July) is to try to modify it to Temporal (that way we can keep one car) and let Kimberly stay permanente (if that is possible). Nobody seems to have gone from Permanenta to Temporal.....everyone goes the other way. That way I could fly back in August, drive down, and get a TIP for one of the cars..........Any thoughts on this strategy....is the "backwards motion" possible? It seems that almost everyday we "rethink" our entrance strategy!!!!!!!

Yes El Saltos....but it gives me 4 years........and we all know that in 4 years in Mexico anything can happen with importing and nationalization rules.....since it's a 1999, by that time i might be able to import it as a classic!!!

jrandkimberly, you said you bought a home. If the home is in both of your names, I wouldn't jettison my potential Permanente visa status over a car issue. You may sail through the process here and receive your Permanente no problem. Maybe even in three days! B)

I say get that Permanente while the getting is good. (They can change those requirements just as easily as the car stuff, and as homeowners you really want that status.)

What you have is a PR preapproval. In Chapala you will be lucky to have a visa in less than a month, some much longer. I doubt you can go backwards to TR preaproval. For one thing how do you remove the pre-approval for the PR in your passport?

A classic has to be more than 29 years old and process basically same as nationalizing.

Really, do yourselves a favor and sell the NOB cars or at least store the one you just can't part with up there for now. If you later decide not to stay, it will not be hard to sell your Mexican plated cars. The used car market in Jalisco is definitely a seller's market.

My understanding is that Permanente exempts you from any capital gains taxes when you sell, allows you to start a business, or work in Mexico.......are there any other advantages? Suppose we put the house in the name of the Permanente and provided in a will if the Permanente died first then the home would go the the Temporal or a family trust that allowed the Temporal to remain in the home.........Am I totally overthinking this because i want my 1999 mercedes SLK convertible in Mexico???

Sell them both. Your ideas just will not fly in Mexico, where you are no longer in control; even if you are within the written laws and rules. If you are Permanente, you pretty much have everything except the vote. You can buy replacement Mercedes in Guadalajara; or anything else you might like. They will be legally imported by a Mexican distributor/dealer network and all the car problems of a US plated car will vanish.

@ Ajijic.......as to your quesiton about what do they do with the one on your passport already......the following happened to us at the Mexican Embassy in DC. When we went to pick up our Visas they were very careful to ask us to make sure that all the information was correct, and if so, we had to sign the top of the application that it was in fact correct......BUT...they mispelled Kimberly's name, and apparently it was a big deal (only added an extra k...Kimberkly). What they did was to stamp the mispelled Visa as "Cancelled without predujice", and then put another one on the next page.

Archived