Chapala.com Webboard

Another Way To Nationalize Legally

Ajijic

Nationalizing 1983 to 2007 NAFTA Made Vehicle in San Miguel

The photos and documents are done locally and legal. The organization is reputable and supported by government. All documents are sent to border and pedimento returned. You do not have to drive to the border. Once you have the pedimento you will be required to obtain and register your vehicle locally and for a fee as with any nationalizing of vehicles.

NAFTA made vehicles. Vin starting with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Fees in pesos below are for 4 cylinders. For 6 cylinders add 300 pesos. For 8 cylinders add 600 pesos.

1983 to 1995 - 14,500

1996 - 14,800

1997 - 15,200

1998 - 15,600

1999 - 15,900

2000 - 16,200

2001 - 16,800

2002- 17,300

2003 - 18,400

2004 - 20,450

2005 - 21,250

2006 - 22,000

2007 - 22,300

Pickup Diesels plus 20%

Pickup Trucks over 3500 KG or 8 Cylinder add 10%

Luxury vehicles such as Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade, Ford Lobo with leather, etc are assessed on a per vehicle basis

Processing fee is an additional 800 pesos including vehicle photos and check to see if vehicle is stolen..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes just NAFTA. This is a government supported program. There is no UCD organization in Colima or Jalisco but exists in some states.

We asked today and will have answer Tuesday. Can a person just bring their car to San Miguel once and then my wife pick up the pedimento and courier it to the car owner so they can get plates where they live?

Note the processing fees I just corrected on the OP. They are only 800 p which includes facilitator and vehicle check to ensure not stolen.

Pedimento takes 30 days.

yes just NAFTA. This is a government supported program. There is no UCD organization in Colima or Jalisco but exists in some states.

A few months ago there were UCD offices in Jalisco in Puerto Vallarta and Lagos de Moreno.

I can't find those offices now. Does that mean I can't get a UCD plate to drive in Jalisco? I will try to contact them through their web site and Facebook page.

If there is no UCD in jalisco and I believe there is not I am not sure how this person got their plates or keeps them current but I may be missing something.

You can not drive with them in Guadalajara, Monterrey and Mexico City although we have friends who shop in and drive through Guadalajara often with them. Otherwise, there are no restrictions.

In Guanajuato state alone there are thousands of them. Several other states of which I have a list have exactly the same program. The cost is 650 p plus 25 p / month. We know many with these plates. Bancomer sells basic insurance specific to UCD plated vehicles.

My information indicates UCD does not exist in Colima or Jalisco. They exist in approx 10 states.

UCD is a very powerful organization.

Meanwhile, if anyone wishes to legalize their vehicle as I have noted in my OP and wish to make a trip to SMA please contact me and my wife will gladly assist.

This is a separate program. Someone asked about UCD plates vs nationalizing. Hence I answered. This is basically the same answer I gave you on MexConnect.

Ajijic you had more information about UCD plates in another string but I can't find it. Can someone point me to it?

Here are our UCD notes.

UCD (La Unión Campesina Democrática)

UCD is an association of campesinos who combine efforts to improve conditions and advocating for the working poor and farmers etc, buy seeds, farming, irrigation, home improvements, making less expensive foreign vehicles legal, government liaison / support for their causes, etc. UCD or similar organizations can be found in most states in Mexico. In some of those states including Chihuahua and Oaxaca etc. they now have a program to allow these vehicles (only those NAFTA made) to be nationalized for a low fee. That is the goal here as well and is progressing.

In San Miguel if a foreign plated car (even those made outside a NAFTA country such as Europe or Asia) is between 2005 and 1994 one can obtain a UCD permit that looks like a license plate. As of July 2012, it costs 600 pesos and 25 pesos a month and months can be prepaid. For a second person to drive the vehicle the card is another 50 pesos. At the end of the year or beginning of the new year for 200 pesos the plate and sticker will be renewed. The car can be driven throughout nearly all of Mexico including Queretaro except the very largest cities such as Guadalajara, Monterrey and Mexico City. Bancomer sells car insurance specific for UCD plated vehicles.

This removes all issues regarding car permits which will be no longer necessary. And, it allows an expat to sell a foreign-plated car of these model years without making a trip to the border or having to nationalize the seller's car

These car permits are prominent here in SMA and throughout Guanajuato state and can be seen on windshields and where one usually places the back license plate.

Note: if you brought in your car and obtained a car permit after June 2011 you paid a large deposit and will loose it without returning to the border. And, you will continue to show as having a car in Mexico; however, cars are tied to passports so a new passport normally wipes out your history of having a car in Mexico, or you bring in another car under your spouses name until such time as you renew your passport.

If I drive to SMA I can get a UCD license plate and I should be able to drive the vehicle in Jalisco if it is allowed throughout Mexico, correct?

Is this organization the same as UCD?

http://onappafa.net/oficinas.php

This is a story about ONAPPAFA nationalizing vehicles and at what cost.

http://www.hoytamaulipas.net/notas/29394/ONAPPFA-empieza--a-recibir-documentacion-para-nacionalizacion-de-autos-extranjeros.html

Thanks Ajijic.

So it is for "less expensive foreign vehicles". Maybe ones that aren't worth much and nothing fancy-more geared towards pickups?

So if someone got these plates they could tnen not have to worry about their validity by selling the vehicle. I wonder if there is much demand (and a good price) to buy these UCD vehicles.

At least 10 states have an UCD organization. We see many UCD plates daily on vehicles of little value to Lincolns 2005 and older.

We know friends who bought a 2003 US plated vehicle from Americans here in SMA. They used a Carta Responsiva form to make the transaction legal and then in 10 minutes put on UCD plates. This form was recommended by Aduana.

I was not aware of ONAPAFFA so thanks for sharing. They represent families. UCD represents farmers and do great work. Both have similar objectives just focus on a different component of society. They are very powerful as an organization.

As I noted, with UCD plates you are not to drive in Mexico City, Guadalajara or Monterrey. Friends do drive in Guadalajara with them. With UCD IF you are stopped elsewhere purely for the reason of having UCD plates and no infractions, they will pay your fine. Each holder of UCD plates has a letter signed by the Guanajuato Governor stating UCD plates are legal and not to be confiscated.

You can but be careful driving it in Guadalajara. The 25 p a month you can prepay and then about Jan 1 you renew for 200 p plus 25 p for month.

You need an utility bill showing an address and can use ours. Plus infantile photos, title, official ID such as visa or passport. If a second driver, photos for them.

Likely a fine or worse. Friends have a boutique hotel here and another in PV. They are in Guad often enroute, staying over night, shopping etc and never an issue but just letting you know it is not considered legal.

I have known for some time about the Onapaafa plates and the UCDs. My mechanic, who speaks perfect English and is very knowledgeable, told me that at least for Onaapafa plates, the vehicle has to be in a Mexican's name. None of these plates are "legal" plates as far as Mex. govt. is concerned, but because the organizations are so powerful, the cops tend not to mess with cars with those plates. However, judging from the unforgiving attitude of Aduana with regard to our foreign-plated cars, I personally would not feel confident that just because I had these plates on my car that it would be safe from confiscation.

My goal in all of this was to show another way to legally nationalize a vehicle without going to border and at a fair price without high broker fees.

UCD is best to have if they are available in the state in which you live. If I had the option of UCD vs nationalizing I would definitely go with nationalizing, esp when cost is fair and no long trip to the border and possibly one 30 minute visit to provider.

As far as I am aware, UCD or Onapaafa plates do not mean the car is "nationalized". The fact that the organization will go to bat for you if your vehicle is confiscated, makes it pretty clear that the vehicle is still not really legally plated. Apparently the way it works is that with these type of plates, your vehicle goes on a long list of vehicles which are wanting to be permanently imported, but can't be for one reason or another. Then when they have acertain amount, they send the list to the Aduana, who may or may not allow them to be imported. In 2007 or 2008, there were lists which included hundreds, if not thousands of "J" cars and Aduana had a short amnesty period when these vehicles could be imported. I'm not holding my breath that they will do it again, as the Mexican car dealers and manufacturers seem to be lobbying against this, and plan to drive my Honda back to Canada in a couple weeks. If I had a beater, I'd take the chance with the UCD plates.

Archived